Do you swing with the strong arm, weak arm, or both?

Crackerjack

Elite Member
It seems inconvenient to me to swing with my strong arm, and then have to take the detector off to pinpoint and dig. So, I'm thinking of swinging with my weak arm and just leaving the detector on and pinpoint and dig with my strong arm. What do you do?

Unless I just get really fatigued, I use my strong arm, but what I don't use is a strap on the arm cuff so there's none of that getting in behind the strap. I don't put the thing on, I pick it up. I never could stand to use cuff straps. I've noticed also that the more I use the 3030 the longer I can stand to hunt without having to change arms.

Scoop all left, machine all right..

I'm neither right or left handed necessarily though..

<°)))>{

99% of the time I use my strong (right) arm.

A few months ago my right shoulder was sore, so I switched to my weak arm (for the first time!) for a 3 hour hunt. It was really awkward, but I guess it's good to be able to hunt with both arms, just in case one is injured or sore! :)

I'm somewhat ambidextrous from having broken my right arm in first grade and being forced to use my left for awhile,perhaps that was a very impressionable time for my motor skills. I'm primarily right handed but write and do fine things with my left. I CAN swing with the left but because coil control is very important I swing with my right arm 99% of the time because I have the best GROSS motor skills with the right. So you could say I'm right ARMED but left HANDED. Oddly enough I can do the same things with either foot...not sure what's up with that.

I'm right handed but I swing with my left.. I've been doing it so long that it's award using my right now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I split my time down the middle. Swing with the right, dig with the left-- then swap.

Like IDX, I'm somewhat of an Ambi...I swing the rig with my weak arm (right) and do all the heavy work with my strong arm (left)...I am Left eye dominate, I shoot bow and throw things left handed, write right handed, play small raquet sports like Pingpong right, larger sports like tennis left, shoot rifle/shotgun/pistol right..I box left, with a big old hook that will knock a guy out of his shoes.

So yeah...I can indeed find my @ss with both hands pretty much!:laughing:

I'm left handed and swing with my left. After pinpointing the target I put the detector down and dig with my left. Occasionally I'll switch arms for a few minutes while detecting to give my strong arm a rest.

I'm right handed but I swing with my left.. I've been doing it so long that it's award using my right now

When I first started Metal Detecting I used to swing with my right l started using my left so I could pop out shallow targets quick with my knife in my right hand

It seems inconvenient to me to swing with my strong arm, and then have to take the detector off to pinpoint and dig. So, I'm thinking of swinging with my weak arm and just leaving the detector on and pinpoint and dig with my strong arm. What do you do?

I carry my Lesche and pinpointer in my left hand (pinpointer on top of lesche handle, back to back, with the blade of the Lesche pressed against my forearm [hides it a little better from other looking... just looks like I'm holding a pin pointer from most angles])

The right hand swings the detector.

When I first got started, with my ACE350, my arm would get TIRED from swinging, after 15 minutes, then 30, then an hour, etc... Definitely built up muscle.

Then I upgraded to the AT Pro, and it started all over again (The soreness). Then upgraded the coil to the NEL Hunter (and started over again with the extra ounces at the end of the pole).
And then, this year, I upgraded to the NEL Thunder... and AGAIN started out with the 15 minute soreness stuff. I quickly went back to being able to swing for an hour, but it was much longer with the NEL Thunder to being able to hunt for 3-4 hours without soreness. Now I can go 4-6 hours without problems (but I'll "Feel it" the next day).

In the meantime, my arm is stronger than ever, and my bicep is a freaking rock on my arm. I also no longer have lower back problems (Which plagued me for a decade), since I'm basically doing squats when I'm out detecting.

There's some definite health benefits to metal detecting... I'm just trying to make sure I'm not destroying my rotator cuff later in life. Shoulder surgery would be nasty at this point! A total setback, for sure.

Now... I should note that I'm still 42 years of age. I don't know how long it would take an older or younger person to build the muscle required to swing for that many hours, or even if I could do it after 60... I just don't know.

There are days I switch off on swinging left/right hands, but not often, because I find that the difference in muscle use actually causes me to be MORE sore in my shoulders/arms than before. My left arm excels at carrying dead weight (Lesche and pinpointer), and my right does a banner job swinging.

One advantage I've noted to carrying the lesche and pinpointer is that when I go to the beach, dragging around a scoop is no big deal. It's about the same weight on the arm.

Unless I just get really fatigued, I use my strong arm, but what I don't use is a strap on the arm cuff so there's none of that getting in behind the strap. I don't put the thing on, I pick it up. I never could stand to use cuff straps. I've noticed also that the more I use the 3030 the longer I can stand to hunt without having to change arms.

Yep, building endurance.

I love it when folks think they want to "try my detector" after watching me for an hour. I often will let them hold it, and then just tell them, hold it off the ground for a minute, and see how your arm does.

I don't explain that the act of swinging actually removes a LOT of arm strain (momentum removes dead weight off the muscles), but the simple holding it out in front gets the point across quickly, that it's not all "easy."

Digging is harder than detecting. Digging needs most power.

I'm righthanded.
I detect left and dig right. That way i can act quick. (and don't get into a clumsy fight between shovel and detector changing places :laughing: ).
Seems uncomfortable in the beginning but you get used to it very quick. And then it's great and fast.

Back
Top Bottom