Picked-up a new digger today

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Ok, a shovel :cool: I'm ready for them fields now :cool:

$27 at Lowes, fiberglass handle, just under 5 pounds and about 5' tall. It'll double as a walker :laughing:, and add an assist to get up off my knee. It'll be worth the weight, and I can always leave it stuck in the dirt if I want a break from it.

755625034878.jpg

I actually looked at that shovel today, didnt buy it, Id love to know how the angle of the blade works out...

I got the same shovel a few weeks ago. I am thinking about using my file on it and putting a sharp cutting edge on the bottom. What are your thoughts?

Be careful how much pressure that you put on that blade! I had the wood handle version of that last year, and sunk it deep and pulled back, and the metal broke right in front of where it is welded to the blade. I took it back to Lowes and got my money back. Now, I have a PT Piranha. I haven't dug with it too much yet, but I hope it stands up better than the Lowes shovel.

I actually looked at that shovel today, didnt buy it, Id love to know how the angle of the blade works out...

I'm tall, so it won't be an issue for me (to throw the handle forward a bit). I'll only use it in the fields, so I can just back-up 6" more than I'd start with a less-angled shovel. The angle would work to an advantage when pulling back on the handle. I can flop-over a shovel-full, re-scan the "plug" (using the word loosely in this case) and hole, and kick around in the dirt without having to stoop-over.

Likely be a few weeks before I get to use it, unless something turns-up between now and then.

I got the same shovel a few weeks ago. I am thinking about using my file on it and putting a sharp cutting edge on the bottom. What are your thoughts?

Have you used it yet? I've got 230 pounds to sink it into the dirt, plus it's only use will be farm fields. I doubt you'd notice much difference if you sharpened it or not, being as it's basically a full-size shovel. Something you have to use upper body only on, that's a different story.

Be careful how much pressure that you put on that blade! I had the wood handle version of that last year, and sunk it deep and pulled back, and the metal broke right in front of where it is welded to the blade. I took it back to Lowes and got my money back. Now, I have a PT Piranha. I haven't dug with it too much yet, but I hope it stands up better than the Lowes shovel.

I flipped it over in the store and stood on it, and gave it a bounce. Not even a creak. If I broke it there, I wouldn't have had to go through the hassle of a return :D

looks like a good shovel , give us a review .

Will do, but I imagine one of these other guys will beat me to it.

Well, good luck with it. IMO, the blade metal is too thin, and likely not heat treated properly. At least, judging by the one that I had, you may have an improved one, but judging by the price you paid, I doubt it. Just be sure to keep your receipt for a few months, until the thing has completely proven itself.

There is a tool for every job.

Gaunt, let us know how well it works.

Like all of our tools, it will be great for some digging and not for some other kinds.

Example - My Lesche Sampson is formidable in the woods hunts I do, but not too swift on a soft sand beach! :yes:

I guess I should have posted this down on the accessories forum, so if a Mod sees it, feel free to move it.

Anyway, got a chance to use it for the 1st time today. The angle of the blade to handle is OK for me, but I'm tall (longer arms), so it would probably be awkward for someone under 6'.

I did get tired of dragging it around, but mostly because I was in 2' tall corn stubble.

Worth $27? Meh, yes. I may chop the handle a bit. Would also be easier to drag in anything other than corn :no:

I like the shape of the blade, but the angle is for cleaning out the bottom of a trench. It will work, but something straighter and maybe a shorter D-handle is easier to use for digging plugs. I worked over an old sharpshooter shovel with my angle grinder and made it very similar shaped. Works great!

Ok, a shovel :cool: I'm ready for them fields now :cool:

$27 at Lowes, fiberglass handle, just under 5 pounds and about 5' tall. It'll double as a walker :laughing:, and add an assist to get up off my knee. It'll be worth the weight, and I can always leave it stuck in the dirt if I want a break from it.

755625034878.jpg

Plus, it's unlikely you'll forget you left it on the ground. :)

I did chop about 16-18" off the handle last night. Used some this morning, and I do like it better. I an however considering getting out the angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, and straightening the handle a bit, or just replacing the handle altogether.

LOL, THEN I'll lose it :laughing:

OK, bored today (raining) so I cut the handle attachment off at the blade, and re-angled the cut to allow the handle to stand straighter in relation to the blade, then re-welded it and threw a little red paint at it.

After cutting the handle off the other day, I just stuffed a nerf golf ball into the handle, and gave it a 1/4 roll of black tape to cover it up temporarily.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Will you sell me that digger for $27? :D Mine'll do everything I'll need it to do, dig a hole in a crop field ;) No offense taken, it is what it is. Rolling a dog log in powdered sugar don't make it a jelly doughnut. :D

Wait, did you call my shovel "girlie"? :p

Will you sell me that digger for $27? :D Mine'll do everything I'll need it to do, dig a hole in a crop field ;) No offense taken, it is what it is. Rolling a dog log in powdered sugar don't make it a jelly doughnut. :D

Wait, did you call my shovel "girlie"? :p

Ahhhh, er, hem, er, eh, well 'er ummm, no. "...it is what it is." :D

Back
Top Bottom