Found A Metal Detector Today

ISawItFirst

It's the Raelar Turtle that has seen all of one or two mentions in all of the interwebs. Anyone have any info? Unfortunately it looks pretty roached. I intend to check it out to see if its serviceable. Pics to follow.

The Tesoro site had this at the following link -

http://www.tesoro.com/info/about/

"The second private label agreement was with a company called Turtle. At that time Turtle made an underwater detector. The case was great, but the electronics were not. So Tesoro and Turtle entered an agreement where Tesoro would make the electronics and Turtle would assemble the final product and cover the warranty. The model, Silver Turtle, was produced for several years and was very popular with the very early water hunters."

How and where?

It's the Raelar Turtle that has seen all of one or two mentions in all of the interwebs. Anyone have any info? Unfortunately it looks pretty roached. I intend to check it out to see if its serviceable. Pics to follow.

Just curious, how and where did you find it? Probably my most unusual find was a White's Metal Detector that was old back in the 80's when I found it. It was leaning against a tree in the woods behind a supermarket I worked in. My buddy and I found it when searching an old abandoned homestead back there. If memory serves, it had a huge battery which I think was a 67.5 vdc. Although I didn't think anyone was coming back for it I left it there. The site is long gone as the property was taken for I-476 which runs through there now.

Last edited:
Im renovating houses right now and it was in the shed of a house I jist bought. From the cursory glance, it had a 9v battery in it. It said "underwater detector". The 9v didnt look too old, which is the only thing that makes me think it might be serviceable.

Yeah, i saw that note on the tesoro page. My guess is this is the one they made before hooking up woth tesoro, with the junky electronics.

The coil is interesting, it is not flat. It is white, solid and convex.

Very neat find. I remember the magazine ads for the Raelar Turtle back in the 1980's and early 90's. Other than that I don't know anything about them pertaining to whether or not they were any good.

I found a photo of one on the web.

The-Raelar-Turtle-Totally-Submersible-Metal-Detector.jpg

Yep, that's it. Ill post a picture of what I got, so you can see how rounded the coil is. It'll be a cpl weeks before I get around to taking it apart.

Back
Top Bottom