• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help me choose a scoop please

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
I'm mostly a dirt hunter, I do hunt lakes with mostly clay bottoms maybe 3 months out of the year, maybe 20 hunts max/year, I have a floating sifter. Also some dry sand beach hunting maybe 3-5 times a year. So not a ton of usage.

That said, I was hunting a pond and could have used a long handled scoop so I want to have one. These three options use 2mm stainless. I don't want a mega scoop.

Here are the three I'm thinking about and wanted opinions:

1) Amazon Ukrainian #1? I was favoring this one but worry the lip won't dig in clay well. I would remove the hand handle. 4.5 x 8 x 11.5 inches

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N9YQ61H/

2) Amazon Ukrainian #2? This lip looks like a digger and I like the smaller profile, i would remove the hand handle. L: 11.6" W: 5.9" H: 5.12"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EU6GDYQ/

3) Whites medium scoop, just saw this today, is also on Amazon, like that is Whites Large* – 8″ x 4.5″, Medium* – 6.75″ x 4.5″ opening:

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product/hexscoop/?attribute_pa_size=medium

A would prefer a Stavr at $145 but he doesn't have m9 available.

Pics below in order 1, 2, 3. There's more pics of each on the linked pages. Maybe favoring the whites at this point....

Thanks! Really appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1986.jpg
    IMG_1986.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
I'm digging that medium sized Whites a lot...

The Sunspots are too big for my taste...

<°)))>{

920ix & RTG 6x12

920 ix 9 wide for merkey lakes , and salt water, strong ss steel needed for clay, Rtg 6x 12 for dry sand , it has 5/ 8 holes for better drain, as far as the M-9 , you dont want that scoop it has 10 mil holes , as for one scoop to do all, thats a tough call, its just like saying one detector can do it all , happy hunting Earl

920 ix 9 wide for merkey lakes , and salt water, strong ss steel needed for clay, Rtg 6x 12 for dry sand , it has 5/ 8 holes for better drain, as far as the M-9 , you dont want that scoop it has 10 mil holes , as for one scoop to do all, thats a tough call, its just like saying one detector can do it all , happy hunting Earl

Thanks for the input Earl, greatly appreciated. 10mm is too large for my liking for sure, thanks for pointing that out.

I'm leaning towards the medium Whites scoop so far.

Well heck, just pulled the trigger on the Whites scoop, snooze you lose :laughing:

Can't wait to get her handled up, will be good timing for the lakes soon!

Thanks Ice and Earl.

10 mil

Stavr m -9s 10 mil , are small holes bud, also you do not want hand scoops, you back will pay the price , rtg makes some nice dry sand scoops with long handle in 5 inch wide , and you should be ok if the mud is soft with a rtg 6x12 with ss lip and grab handle , happy hunting, Earl

Well heck, just pulled the trigger on the Whites scoop, snooze you lose :laughing:

Can't wait to get her handled up, will be good timing for the lakes soon!

Thanks Ice and Earl.

Awesome man, looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you get it...

I really liked how they say to grab a shovel handle from the hardware store.. Not some special, proprietary space age outside diameter handle...

Reminds me of the M9 a little..

<°)))>{

Stavr m -9s 10 mil , are small holes bud, also you do not want hand scoops, you back will pay the price , rtg makes some nice dry sand scoops with long handle in 5 inch wide , and you should be ok if the mud is soft with a rtg 6x12 with ss lip and grab handle , happy hunting, Earl

Man you're right, 10mm isn't large holes :lol:

The Whites has 7/16" ~ 11mm.

I'd rather have small than too big. I can always dump the clay into my "sifter".

Definitely don't want hand scoop, have one I got as a gift (Garrett), I'm putting a wood handle on the Whites when I get it.

Thanks again.

Awesome man, looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you get it...

I really liked how they say to grab a shovel handle from the hardware store.. Not some special, proprietary space age outside diameter handle...

Reminds me of the M9 a little..

<°)))>{

Yup, picking up a wood shovel handle :lol:

Hopefully the scoop won't take long to come down here from Oregon!

Here you go

To give you a general idea on scoops , before you pull the trigger, left to right picks : RTGS are the 3 on the left , dry sand -are the two on the left for max sand out put large holes, the 3rd is wet ,and dry sand-( Special build ) 7x10 which i sold, the 4th is a Stavr M-9 wet sand , 5th is a Stealth 920IX wet & water , the last 3 Stealth's wet & water -are 90 degree- but have a 20 degree bend in the handle, the 6th has 1/2 inch holes, the 7th & 8th have 1/4 inch holes known as Chuck's signature Sugarsand scoops, they catch the stud earrings , you say you are getting a Whites scoop, Whites makes good Detectors , not scoops, if you want a mid grade scoop go with a RTG, but they are not indestructible , if you want a scoop that will last a long time with a lifetime warranty get a SunSpot, have a good time detecting, hope i was some help, if not when your Whites breaks, and your buying another scoop, maybe you will remember my advice , happy hunting, Earl http://stealthscoop.com/index.html I sold all my RTG scoops except the 2 on the left for dry sand, if you get a RTG the 6x11 with the SS lip makes it a 6x12 with grab handle- both the ss lip & Grab are like 10 buck extras, that's Aluminum scoop for lightness with a Stainless steel lip, they do make all Stainless steel scoops but are expensive, as far as the hole size , they come in 5/8 holes, but you can special order smaller holes, just like Chuck at SunSpot can make it the way you want it, in most cases . I also will tell you that Chuck waterproof"s his handles ( Coats Them), if you get a regular handle say at Lowes, or Home Depot , they will not hold up , later .

Attachments

• P1000473.JPG
    P1000473.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
I know you already pulled the trigger...but I plan on buying the new Deteknix to try in the fresh water lakes near me. I too have to contend with clay. Its currently sold out on amazon but it was in the $150 ish range when it was avail.

Deteknix Scoopal Scoop Land and Sand Digger Made from 304 Stainless Steel with Diamond Pattern Holes by Deteknix https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071W7L21M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_gCrzzbNBM5D82

I know you already pulled the trigger...but I plan on buying the new Deteknix to try in the fresh water lakes near me. I too have to contend with clay. Its currently sold out on amazon but it was in the $150 ish range when it was avail.

Deteknix Scoopal Scoop Land and Sand Digger Made from 304 Stainless Steel with Diamond Pattern Holes by Deteknix https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071W7L21M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_gCrzzbNBM5D82

Mean looking scoop!

And your practically my neighbor, we got the same dirt :lol:

Last edited:
Jeez! That detecniks scoop looks as heavy as my 67 Ford galaxie was.:lol:
Hey GS, let us know how your whites scoop works.:grin:

Jeez! That detecniks scoop looks as heavy as my 67 Ford galaxie was.:lol:
Hey GS, let us know how your whites scoop works.:grin:

The Deteknix scoop seems to be 2.2 lbs and is 1.4mm plate, your t-rex, if the 9.5, is 1.9mm plate at 3.9 lbs...

The Whites is 2mm plate and the weight isn't stated... I'll weigh it when it gets here Thursday :)

Earl thinks it's going to fall apart and I should've got a stealth, haven't seen much info on it to be honest but it looks good to me.

I got the "medium" one, I don't want a giant scoop as I'm lake hunting not surf, and packability is a nice feature save for the handle :lol:

I think I would have been happy with any of the three scoops above compared to the ones I have.

To give you a general idea on scoops , before you pull the trigger, left to right picks : RTGS are the 3 on the left , dry sand -are the two on the left for max sand out put large holes, the 3rd is wet ,and dry sand-( Special build ) 7x10 which i sold, the 4th is a Stavr M-9 wet sand , 5th is a Stealth 920IX wet & water , the last 3 Stealth's wet & water -are 90 degree- but have a 20 degree bend in the handle, the 6th has 1/2 inch holes, the 7th & 8th have 1/4 inch holes known as Chuck's signature Sugarsand scoops, they catch the stud earrings , you say you are getting a Whites scoop, Whites makes good Detectors , not scoops, if you want a mid grade scoop go with a RTG, but they are not indestructible , if you want a scoop that will last a long time with a lifetime warranty get a SunSpot, have a good time detecting, hope i was some help, if not when your Whites breaks, and your buying another scoop, maybe you will remember my advice , happy hunting, Earl http://stealthscoop.com/index.html I sold all my RTG scoops except the 2 on the left for dry sand, if you get a RTG the 6x11 with the SS lip makes it a 6x12 with grab handle- both the ss lip & Grab are like 10 buck extras, that's Aluminum scoop for lightness with a Stainless steel lip, they do make all Stainless steel scoops but are expensive, as far as the hole size , they come in 5/8 holes, but you can special order smaller holes, just like Chuck at SunSpot can make it the way you want it, in most cases . I also will tell you that Chuck waterproof"s his handles ( Coats Them), if you get a regular handle say at Lowes, or Home Depot , they will not hold up , later .

spot on advice. I had a RTG and now its very banged up after only using it a few times. SS is the way to go and now I have a 720i that has a lifetime warranty. Can't really beat that

The Ukrainian #1 was my backup unit. On the third outing it failed on the top weld join. I had it over a year in the closet so if there was any warranty it expired. It broke while I was lifting a scoop of wet sand and it just pealed away from the front all the way to the back.

I since replaced it with two Stealth Scoops.

The Ukrainian #1 was my backup unit. On the third outing it failed on the top weld join. I had it over a year in the closet so if there was any warranty it expired. It broke while I was lifting a scoop of wet sand and it just pealed away from the front all the way to the back.

I since replaced it with two Stealth Scoops.

Thanks man! Glad I didn't buy that one :lol:

Whites Medium Hexscoop

Arrived today. 2mm stainless steel. Nicely done.

Bought a handle need to cut and install.

Bigger than I expected, glad I got the medium and not the large.

Attachments

• IMG_2035.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_2036.JPG
    IMG_2036.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 401
Back
Top Bottom