Desperate mom needing help

Hopefulmommy

Hello all. I am a mother in California and am desperate to find my daughters baptismal necklace. I have hopes she lost it here at home. I have been able to get my hands on a metal detector and plan on doing a sweep of the entire house. I began last night and came upon my first obstacle: the detector is picking up the nails/staples used underneath the carpet. My question is how can I go about setting the detector to only gold or not pick up on the nails/staples. I appreciate any information or help

Sure you will get help here , you will need to post details on the metal detector
HH
Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately there is just to much EMI and other metals in the house that I don't think you will be able to use it indoors. If it were inside on the carpet wouldn't you be able to see it anyway?

Also depending on the size of the necklace and what MD you have it may not even be picked up by the MD. Try waving a similar size and metal necklace by the coil to see if it will give you a hit. Most necklaces are small and only the clasp if anything is seen by the MD.

Try turning the disc up quite a bit so that it is not beeping over the nails and tacks, and might reduce the emi.

If you're sure it is inside the house, a metal detector will not of much use. For floors, try using a strong flashlight. Lay it on the floor to allow the beam of light to shine across the floor. Preferably with the room darkened and put your head as close to the floor as possible. Watch the beam as it goes across the floor. This will work on everything except tall carpets. Tall carpets, just use your hands and sweep them back and forth. Depending on age of your daughter, check everywhere that kids stash things. Under beds, in bedding, clothes hampers, pockets on coats, pants, closets, inside their boots, washer and dryer, and anywhere they remove there clothing would be a good areas to start. Necklaces usually drop inside of clothing. GL Tom

Tom (Scout) has it about as right as it gets... Unfortunately there is too much interference in the house for a machine. Good luck finding it

Tom (Scout) has it about as right as it gets... Unfortunately there is too much interference in the house for a machine. Good luck finding it

yes and if its outside it probably will be tough to find...i dont know if there is a decent size locket on the chain but i wouldnt think the chain is all that thick either...we all know how thin gold chains can be hard to get a signal on...losin something sentimental stinks!

yes and if its outside it probably will be tough to find...i dont know if there is a decent size locket on the chain but i wouldnt think the chain is all that thick either...we all know how thin gold chains can be hard to get a signal on...losin something sentimental stinks!

very true!

Gold is always a hard find.

I find small religious pendants all the time in the parks around the play equipment. I would suggest you search areas your daughter was wearing it last you saw it. You will probably be better off with a pin pointer as a you already know a detector picks up all metal. The pin pointer or hand held detector has a very narrow area of search. I sure hope you find it, I know it must break the heart of folks of some of the stuff I find. There is absolutely no way of returning a item like that unless its inscribed. I find most items like that around benches, under swings and slide. Or under the play equipment itself. Good luck.

Instead of sweeping the house with a metal detector, might try a vacuum cleaner... You can check the bag, or contents of the canister (dump on paper), with the metal detector, outdoors. It's almost spring time, a good thorough cleaning always turns up lost/misplaced stuff.

Unfortunately, metal detectors don't detect specific metals. We dig up a lot of trash and junk, and get luck on the gold and silver sometimes. There are a lot of tricks, gimmicks, to help reduce the amounts of trash, but none are perfect or 100%.

everyone here is giving good insights so far. What city in CA do you live in ?

If you're bound a determined to use the detector in the house, you might wanna turn off the main breaker, which may eliminate some EMI.

Otherwise, a vacuum cleaner like the others have said. Even a pair of pantyhose over the end of the accessory attachment might work.

Hello all. I am a mother in California and am desperate to find my daughters baptismal necklace. I have hopes she lost it here at home. I have been able to get my hands on a metal detector and plan on doing a sweep of the entire house. I began last night and came upon my first obstacle: the detector is picking up the nails/staples used underneath the carpet. My question is how can I go about setting the detector to only gold or not pick up on the nails/staples. I appreciate any information or help

Going to be harder inside. Not impossible though..
Are you totally sure it was lost inside house and not car ? In between seats?
From car to house?,

Back
Top Bottom