Bending Back Copper

CJ319

Forum Supporter
I recently found this and with the hope that it had writing, I kept it. Just got done cleaning it and sure enough, it's got writing on it. I've tried bending brass back into place before and it always breaks. I've started bending this back and can already hear it cracking. Any ideas on how to get this straightened out? I may just have to break it, hammer it smooth and glue it to a backer board.

Attachments

• IMG_1340.jpg
    IMG_1340.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 258
If you can use a propane torch and heat it up about red, then throw it in water, that will anneal it..

<°)))>{

I don't believe annealing will help this situation. The piece is probably loaded with stress cracks from being bent. Add in stress corrosion cracking from sitting in the ground (possibly acidic).

Stress corrosion cracking (SCC) is the growth of crack formation in a corrosive environment. It can lead to unexpected sudden failure of normally ductile metals subjected to a tensile stress, especially at elevated temperature.

Looks like one half of a harmonica. IMO, it will probably be ruined when you open it, but only where the bend is. I've found a few that have done the same thing. Great find!

Looks like one half of a harmonica. IMO, it will probably be ruined when you open it, but only where the bend is. I've found a few that have done the same thing. Great find!

You are totally right. There's a name, John something, inscribed in cursive. Then an F. I was wondering what the F was, and now that you say that, it's in the key of F.

Back
Top Bottom