M1 Carbine

Dr. Detroit

Elite Member
Went to a local place that use to be a full lake but now there is nothing left but the main channel. I hunted the edge of the water but wasn't really getting any hits so I decided to head for an old bridge that I use to fish under. I was directly under the edge of the bridge and got a loud signal and looked down and thought that looks like a barrel of a gun... I grabbed it and it didn't move so I started to excavate it and after some time, being that the stock was almost 2 1/2 feet under got it out. Complete but covered in muck...first thought murder weapon..:no:. As I was heading to my car a gentleman was pulled over in his truck and I was wondering if he thought I had returned to get the weapon I threw over the bridge when the lake was full. :?: Not sure if it will ever clean up...would love to get the serial numbers and maker.. Also my friends are telling me to call the cops. What's your take.

Attachments

• 20161015_094712.jpg
    20161015_094712.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 2,465
  • 20161015_094702.jpg
    20161015_094702.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 2,423
  • 20161015_094308.jpg
    20161015_094308.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 2,403
  • 20161015_094837 (003).jpg
    20161015_094837 (003).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,402
  • 20161015_094900 (003).jpg
    20161015_094900 (003).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,407
If it was me, I would take it to the cops and let them clean it up and get any forensic evidence they can. Let them know that if it was not a weapon used in a crime and the owner doesn't claim it in 60 days, you want it back.

If it was me, I would take it to the cops and let them clean it up and get any forensic evidence they can. Let them know that if it was not a weapon used in a crime and the owner doesn't claim it in 60 days, you want it back.

its so rusted. wonder if they would be able to get anything off of this except fish poop.

Congrats that's an awesome score, just can't imagine someone tossing a M1 carbine. Would make me suspicious. That is a cool find!

I would turn it into the cops just to get it cleared. The chances of a person using this as a murder weapon are slim considering the fact that they used these guns in ww2 and Vietnam. If anything it could have been a stolen weapon that someone got rid of.

I would turn it into the cops just to get it cleared. The chances of a person using this as a murder weapon are slim considering the fact that they used these guns in ww2 and Vietnam. If anything it could have been a stolen weapon that someone got rid of.

Then why throw it off of a bridge with the clip still intact?

Before the gun buy back programs would be my guess, someone just wanted to get it out of the house when grandpa died, maybe. Shame.

It's a magazine, not a clip, just to be a stickler ;)

Pretty cool find!

:lol: JUST FYI

A clip is a device that is used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit, ready for insertion into the magazine or cylinder of a firearm:D

Can't always assume it was purposely thrown away. The bridge is a great fishing area and someone could have turned over and lost their gun.
It's not uncommon to carry a gun fishing. Shotgun rifle or pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would seriously not bother turning it in. Even if, and it's a big if, it was connected to some crime, there is almost zero chance they will be able to connect it via forensics or serial number. You would be extremely lucky to get it back in either case. No possibility of ballistic testing on something that corroded. I would clean it as best you can, and verify it is not an M2 carbine- if it is, then I would turn it in. Regular M1 carbine, just hang it on the wall and be happy.

I would seriously not bother turning it in. Even if, and it's a big if, it was connected to some crime, there is almost zero chance they will be able to connect it via forensics or serial number. You would be extremely lucky to get it back in either case. No possibility of ballistic testing on something that corroded. I would clean it as best you can, and verify it is not an M2 carbine- if it is, then I would turn it in. Regular M1 carbine, just hang it on the wall and be happy.

If it was an M2 you would have a bunch of paperwork and questions to answer and still be treated like a criminal. Either way I'd hang it on the wall. If it is an M2, let some other digger dig the trigger group in the next 50 years.

If it was an M2 you would have a bunch of paperwork and questions to answer and still be treated like a criminal. Either way I'd hang it on the wall. If it is an M2, let some other digger dig the trigger group in the next 50 years.

You're right, on second thought, if I knew it was an M2, I would just put it back in the hole and not turn it in. Not worth the headaches.

Back
Top Bottom