How to preserve coins/relics in the field?

AndrewCNJ

Elite Member
I have a question about preserving old coins right after you find them. I've been finding old coppers - putting them in a small secure pouch and bringing them home. I've found that when they dry it degrades the details of the coins sometimes - sometimes it chips. If I rub the dry dirt off in the field sometimes this will destroy part of the coin also - it's hard not to be curious when you first find something!

Do you guys do anything to coins or relics on the field as soon as you find them? Is there a process that I should be using?

Do you wash them with water before you store them? Cover in Vaseline?

Let me know if you have any input - thanks.

I don't know what the others do with the coins. I just put them in the
pouch and wash them with fresh water at home.
I observed some diggers videos at the field rub the coins directly on
their pants ,which would their wives be very happy at home :shock::p:laughing:

If I'm going to a site where my odds of finding a coin worth fussing over I carry a snap top little plastic bottle with water in it. I put the coin(s) in it and leave them till I get home.

If the detail flakes of an old copper it is simply just too late to worry about preserving that one. At least 50% of the old coppers I find are completely blank, many are very thin and sharp at the edge, it's natural and what happens to many that have been in the ground for 200 years. Luckly some are still good.

The large cents I've dug almost immediately start to deteriorate once they see daylight and begin to dry. A light rinse removes even more detail.

I know a detectorist that never even removes the dirt from his old coppers.

For silver, I carry a small pill bottle stuffed with cotton.

Back
Top Bottom