Importance of research..A wake up call

Ron 71

Forum Supporter
For a long time now Iv'e been using Google earth to find new places to hunt. When I find a spot that looks good I will then use Historic aerials to see what it looked like in 1938, try to find where old roads ran through, stuff like that. One spot I checked was an old farm field and quickly became my favorite go to spot, I made several nice finds here, the best being a New Hampshire volunteer militia button complete with shank and in very nice condition. Just the other day i'm looking at my calendar, it's a calendar that's given out from my electric co. every month has a historic picture from one of the surrounding towns and a couple of paragraphs about the picture. Next months picture is of a man named Edward A. Carpenter of company H, Fifteenth Regiment.... You guessed it.. New Hampshire volunteer infantry! Right here in my town, for all I know the picture could have been taken where I found the button. There's a research related moral to my long winded story...I have lived here my whole life, why didn't I know there were troops here in the 1800s, Well it's simply that Iv'e never asked, never took a trip to the library or town hall, never been in touch with folks from the historical committee either. All I can say is it's a wake up call to the importance of good research. That button find would have been a lot more special if I had been looking for it.
Here's the button:
IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

Here's the calendar, sorry for the large pics I don't know how to size them.
IMG_1476.jpg

Back
Top Bottom