Four Night Hunts!

TK-421

Finally! A tide cycle with a few negatives and no typhoon! Never mind that the lows were in the wee hours of the morning and I couldn't take off work-- time to hit the beaches! :yes:

I managed a new personal record of four nights in a row-- staying up late the first two and waking up early for the second two.

The conditions weren't great (the recent typhoons seem to have brought in more sand instead of taking it away) but the combination of good tides and good weather is rare enough that I wasn't about to give up-- and I'm glad I didn't! I ended up with a good amount of clad and a few good rings that made the long hours well worth it!

Night 1: Pretty 18k, 925 with 14k, chunky old beat-up silver
Night 2: around $17 in clad and a deadly sea snake!
Night 3: around $15 in clad and the smell of baked goods.
Night 4: 18k with Pt 850 and 5 diamonds, Pt 585 with some tiny blue stone

I thought both silvers were junkers when I found them, they were so blackened and beat up. I suppose that the sliver of 14k in the silver ring makes this night my first "double gold," but only on a technicality. The other one is really heavy, and so beaten that I have no idea what it's original shape was. I found it among a lot of old WWII bullets, so perhaps it's quite old.

The sea snake on that second night definitely made me re-think my life choices. It was swimming right in front of me in about 8cm of water. They're extremely venomous :no:

On the third night I discovered that the hotel bakery fires up around 4:30am - the smell that flooded the beach was so strong and delicious it was torture!

The 18k/pt850/diamond ring was quite the heartstopper! Pretty gaudy, but looks brand new! And yeah, I'd never heard of Pt585. Turns out it's just a cheaper platinum alloy. It's mixed with either palladium or a cobalt and copper (probably the latter).

A good start to the winter hunting season! :D

Attachments

• Lovely 18k.jpg
    Lovely 18k.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 614
  • Two Old Silvers.jpg
    Two Old Silvers.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 608
  • Sea Snake.jpg
    Sea Snake.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 601
  • 18k with Ice.jpg
    18k with Ice.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 611
  • Pt 585.jpg
    Pt 585.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 613
Sweet hunts - congrats!!!! How much leave do you have??? I'd take at least a week off and live at the beach!!!

This side of the world has been sanded in bad.............. only managed 1 silver in about 70 hours hunting....

Thanks for posting and keep the pics coming......

Oh ya...... which beach did you find the stuff.....???

Last edited:
Nice stash you pulled out. Congrats.
Those snakes are extremely venomous.. luckily they are very docial, rear fanged, and the fangs are rarely big enough to break skin.
I've seen videos with kids playing with them when they come to shore to lay eggs. Name eludes me right now

:dingding: Oh my, that's a plethora for the senses! That bakery smell must've been intoxicating! If I saw that snake while I detected I would've taken a...restroom break!!! :shock: Congrats on some great hunts! I really like that ugly chunky silver ring.

:waytogo: TK. Man!!! oops sorry. Woman!!! you really hit it hard :lol:
Some real nice looking treasure, that 18K looks quite old too. Love those deep 18K stamps they have :yes:
You got the “treasure island special” trifecta 18K, Plat and bling all in one.
Never seen that low grade Plat stamp before :?:
Rest up and get ready for the next set of tides :yes:

Finally! A tide cycle with a few negatives and no typhoon! Never mind that the lows were in the wee hours of the morning and I couldn't take off work-- time to hit the beaches! :yes:

I managed a new personal record of four nights in a row-- staying up late the first two and waking up early for the second two.

The conditions weren't great (the recent typhoons seem to have brought in more sand instead of taking it away) but the combination of good tides and good weather is rare enough that I wasn't about to give up-- and I'm glad I didn't! I ended up with a good amount of clad and a few good rings that made the long hours well worth it!

Night 1: Pretty 18k, 925 with 14k, chunky old beat-up silver
Night 2: around $17 in clad and a deadly sea snake!
Night 3: around $15 in clad and the smell of baked goods.
Night 4: 18k with Pt 850 and 5 diamonds, Pt 585 with some tiny blue stone

I thought both silvers were junkers when I found them, they were so blackened and beat up. I suppose that the sliver of 14k in the silver ring makes this night my first "double gold," but only on a technicality. The other one is really heavy, and so beaten that I have no idea what it's original shape was. I found it among a lot of old WWII bullets, so perhaps it's quite old.

The sea snake on that second night definitely made me re-think my life choices. It was swimming right in front of me in about 8cm of water. They're extremely venomous :no:

On the third night I discovered that the hotel bakery fires up around 4:30am - the smell that flooded the beach was so strong and delicious it was torture!

The 18k/pt850/diamond ring was quite the heartstopper! Pretty gaudy, but looks brand new! And yeah, I'd never heard of Pt585. Turns out it's just a cheaper platinum alloy. It's mixed with either palladium or a cobalt and copper (probably the latter).

A good start to the winter hunting season! :D

My guess is the PT585 ring is actually platinum plated 585 gold. *14K*

I was doing a night dive in Okinawa and went off the side of an inflatable. Turned on my flashlight and there were sea snakes everywhere. Scared me back in the boat FAST!

Wonderful bunch of rings you recovered. Fantastic

Some great finds there TK! Congrats. And I agree that 585 may be gold player with plat. A version of white gold which is gold plated in Rhenium

Outstanding on all counts! Especially seeing a snake..thats good luck right there! They sure let you know you are alive...strange feeling...

Awesome round of night hunts! Congrats on those very nice rings! :D

I know what you mean about baked goods, I was hunting a beach recently that's very close to some nice homes and caught the whiff of fresh baked toll-house cookies..:chef2:

Sweet hunts - congrats!!!! How much leave do you have??? I'd take at least a week off and live at the beach!!!

This side of the world has been sanded in bad.............. only managed 1 silver in about 70 hours hunting....

Thanks for posting and keep the pics coming......

Oh ya...... which beach did you find the stuff.....???

Hahaha, I don't have leave. Teaching makes for some fairly regular and enjoyable holidays, but the downside is that I can basically only take off in case of emergency or being demonstrably, seriously ill (neither of which has ever happened to me while working).

But I don't have to take off to live at the beach-- I practically do already. It's mostly a matter of picking my battles. The beaches here are pretty steep, and I'm not a diver-- so my water hunting is heavily dependent on the tides.

Which beach? A pretty good one, but not a great one. ;)

Nice stash you pulled out. Congrats.
Those snakes are extremely venomous.. luckily they are very docial, rear fanged, and the fangs are rarely big enough to break skin.
I've seen videos with kids playing with them when they come to shore to lay eggs. Name eludes me right now

Yeah, probably a Banded Sea Krait (or some close relative). I googled the heck out of it when I got home and learned that you basically have to be trying pretty hard to get bit by one, and even then it only bothers to inject venom 20% of the time.

Still, it's one thing to know there's deadly stuff out there and an entirely different thing to see it swimming by your feet. :shock: Luckily I was about to head for the car anyway, so that just made me stop dallying.

:dingding: Oh my, that's a plethora for the senses! That bakery smell must've been intoxicating! If I saw that snake while I detected I would've taken a...restroom break!!! :shock: Congrats on some great hunts! I really like that ugly chunky silver ring.

Hahaha, yeah, my stomach was already complaining about the lack of breakfast and then I started smelling that!
The snake...gosh...just this deep horror in the pit of my stomach and the thought "well, there goes my false sense of security. glad I kissed my husband before heading out here."
Good times. Yeah that chunkster is an oddity. It's quite heavy-- gotta borrow a digital scale again...

:waytogo: TK. Man!!! oops sorry. Woman!!! you really hit it hard :lol:
Some real nice looking treasure, that 18K looks quite old too. Love those deep 18K stamps they have :yes:
You got the “treasure island special” trifecta 18K, Plat and bling all in one.
Never seen that low grade Plat stamp before :?:
Rest up and get ready for the next set of tides :yes:

Arigato! :D
Yeah, very cool stamp! And for once it doesn't have an inscription either.
It was a very happy trifecta, for sure! Though I definitely put in the hours for it!:lol:
Yeah, with my luck the pawn shop will probably never have seen that Plat stamp before either. :no: Oh well.
I was hoping for good tides this cycle but no such luck-- gotta wait another couple weeks, I guess. But work's really busy and the weather's pretty bad, so I guess I should be thankful that the tide isn't tempting me this weekend! :yes:

My guess is the PT585 ring is actually platinum plated 585 gold. *14K*

Hehe, I like your optimism, but based on further research I'm pretty sure it's just low grade Plat.:( There are jewelry companies around here selling cheapo Plat with that same mark. Hopefully I can get a bit of money for it anyway-- we'll see!:yes:

:wow: Those are really nice rings, congrats!

Arigato-yo!

I was doing a night dive in Okinawa and went off the side of an inflatable. Turned on my flashlight and there were sea snakes everywhere. Scared me back in the boat FAST!

Wonderful bunch of rings you recovered. Fantastic

Holy cow!!!! that would be terrifying! :shock::shock:

One of the few things I know about them is that you gotta stay away from them when they're near the surface because one of the only times they're aggressive is when they're coming up for air and you get between them and the air they desperately need. :no:

Great night hunts. I wish thing would pick up here. Without the sea snakes..

Hehe-- so here's the question: Would you rather have gold and deadly sea snakes or no gold and no deadly sea snakes...? Hmmmmmmmmm :?:

Some great finds there TK! Congrats. And I agree that 585 may be gold player with plat. A version of white gold which is gold plated in Rhenium

Arigato Numil-san! Saaaaa- I wish. I know 585 signifies 14k on it's own, but it seems that Pt585 is also a thing...:no:

Sweet work! Congrats on the gold and plat and silver, heck no on the serpents!

Hahaha, arigato! :lol:
Yeah, I would be very happy to never see another one of those little dudes again.

Holt Cats! Way to slay the precious metals!!! Congrats! :cool: :hi5: :bowdown:

Many thanks, Irons-sensei! It took some work, but it was worth it! :D

Awesome bunch of rings TK- congrats! That ornate 18K band is gorgeous. :shock::wow::yes:

Arigato Compass-san! Yeah the carved band sure is a looker! If I wore gold I'd surely be tempted to keep it! Glad it didn't get marked up by my scoop! :yes:

You really killed it, nice job! Those snakes look pretty nasty, good job spotting it in time!

Or I probably spotted it in time. I was horrified to learn that a good number of people who get bit don't even know they got bit, as the fangs are small and don't hurt and the site of the bite doesn't react to the venom since it's a neurotoxin. To make matters worse, it can take up to 3 hours for symptoms to manifest. So I'm lying awake in bed at 4am, having just seen a deadly snake that might have bitten me at 3am, thinking-- I could wake up for work in 3 hours, or I could wake up dying in 2 hours... GREAT!

Outstanding on all counts! Especially seeing a snake..thats good luck right there! They sure let you know you are alive...strange feeling...

Good...luck...??? :?::?:
:lol: Haha, well they certainly do that!
Arigato Mud-san!

Man those are some good looking rings....nice job on all the goodies.

Arigato! :D

Good God. That's a lot of hunting. :) Nicely done!

Yep- close to 16 hours of what should definitely have been sleeping time, hehe.
Arigato!

Awesome round of night hunts! Congrats on those very nice rings! :D

I know what you mean about baked goods, I was hunting a beach recently that's very close to some nice homes and caught the whiff of fresh baked toll-house cookies..:chef2:

Awwww man! It's been decades since I've had toll-house cookies but I can smell them in my head right now! Mmmmmm!

Back
Top Bottom