Iron Poll. Deus wins.

Barracuda

Forum Supporter
Good luck! I got to hunt with a fellow forum member using a deus, but have never used one personally. I did get to hold it and the weight is incredible compared to FBS units I run 90% of the time lol I've watched a few of calabash diggers videos too, those are pretty entertaining and informative to watch. Ill get a deus someday but there are other machines in my horizon at this time. Keep us posted on finds and experiences! Happy hunting!

I think the Deus is an interesting detector, and have little doubt it's a great detector and maybe even someday I might get one. That said, I have a little problem with the video, being someone who has hunted in iron for basically every hunt I've used a multi freq. Minelab since around 2001. For anyone who knows a Minelab well enough knows that you don't need to hear a clear tone in iron... often times (especially a low conductive signal) you don't even need a signal that repeats both ways... or even the same way in some cases. The Deus and CTX is an apple and orange as far as detectors go; well let me rephrase that, they're apples and oranges for how you use them in iron. At the end of the day if there is 10 targets in iron and the Deus hits fairly solid and gets them, and the Minelab seems to have to squeeze a spec of sound through... but still gets them, 10 out of 10 is 10 out of 10 no matter how you stack it. Could someone argue that since the Deus got those signals cleaner it would likely see some the Minelab could not at all... sure they could. But someone could easily make the same argument back on the Minelab side if we're talking real conditions and not boards and nails, because it's still inconclusive if there's a scenario where just hearing the spec of a sound through iron with a Mienlab and knowing it's a good target and to dig, could be an advantage over the Deus. Minelabs have never counted on recovery speed in iron, and if they had they'd be the worst detector ever in iron... but they're not, and that's because like I said, you can get away with hearing the minimum and that's because it has such great iron discrimination.

In summary, would I love to have a Deus to play with for a while and test some of those spec of signals to see how well it would do... oh yeah. But the problem is not knowing the Deus I wouldn't really be able to do the test in reverse. Without any testing my theory the CTX and Dues are probably very close when both in good hands, but since the Deus is more similar to most other detectors, at least how you use them, it's much more forgiving in iron and that's why it has the additional hype on top of the usual of just being a great detector.

I hunt farm fields that often get plowed, and do so with little competition so detector talk is pretty meaningless to me because it doesn't matter a whole lot what I use... but I find this an interesting topic, and or course many will disagree... especially non Minelab users or anyone who just didn't figure it out. :yes: If Spring would finally get here I probably wouldn't be wasting the time on this post which I will soon forget about because I don't really care. :yes:

I hunt farm fields that often get plowed, and do so with little competition so detector talk is pretty meaningless to me because it doesn't matter a whole lot what I use... but I find this an interesting topic, and or course many will disagree... especially non Minelab users or anyone who just didn't figure it out. :yes: If Spring would finally get here I probably wouldn't be wasting the time on this post which I will soon forget about because I don't really care. :yes:

I like farm fields too, usually virgin ground. Deus is a great relic (as well as coins) rig with excellent depth.

Ive always wanted to try Etrac or 3030, do you find it heavy working fields for hours?

HH

I like farm fields too, usually virgin ground. Deus is a great relic (as well as coins) rig with excellent depth.

Ive always wanted to try Etrac or 3030, do you find it heavy working fields for hours?

HH

If you're use to the Deus I'm guessing you'd likely hate the Minelab... but might respect what it could do in the hands of an experienced user. I really don't see much reason why you'd want to change anyway...because like you mentioned the Minelabs are so much heavier. To answer your question I have no issue with weight, but am well over 200 pounds and spend much of my Winter at the gym.... however my joints are not the best so there might be a day where the wear and tear of my Explorer finally gets to me.... and if that happens I would go to the Deus.

PS: I use a SEF coil which is heavier than the pro, have a heavy duty metal armrest which is heavier than the plastic, and have my Garrett pinpointer mounted on my upper shaft... so it's definitely not a light detector. To go to a Deus I would feel like I was swinging air. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom