Olive Oil soak results

gameoftag

Forum Supporter
Back in September, I found an utterly toasted Indian and did everything I could do to get a date on it, but had no luck.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=85890
After posting the pics below, I thought I saw an 1866, which, at the time, would have been my oldest Indian found.

1866 before soak obv.jpg1866 before soak rev.jpg

I put it in Olive Oil on September 10th and just took it out tonight. After a 4 month soak, Still completely toasted, but I got a confirmed date of 1866. Given how bad it was originally, I'm pretty happy with the results.

1866 Indian OBV.jpg1866 Indian REV.jpg

Nice!!! Remarkable difference. I always had luck after a OO soak by picking at it with a toothpick....I dip the toothpick in the oil and start scraping the gunk off. Wood is much softer than the metal so I don't think it would scratch anything. I never saw any scratches. Good luck!

olive oil

I am not a big fan of using olive oil. I tried it once and all I had was wasted olive oil! I love to cook with that stuff ;)

I am not a big fan of using olive oil. I tried it once and all I had was wasted olive oil! I love to cook with that stuff ;)

I had never tried it before, but had heard it helped sometimes. This coin in particular, I scrubbed with baking soda, tried boiling peroxide, and finally tried to tumble it... None of them did anything at all. Not really a fan of the shine it gave it, but I'm super happy that I got a date off of it. Are there any other methods you have tried that you like better?

I had never tried it before, but had heard it helped sometimes. This coin in particular, I scrubbed with baking soda, tried boiling peroxide, and finally tried to tumble it... None of them did anything at all. Not really a fan of the shine it gave it, but I'm super happy that I got a date off of it. Are there any other methods you have tried that you like better?

This is a long shot, but I work for my dad at an equipment repair shop and we use a product called "chem-dip" that we soak parts in that are covered in gunk/burt on deposits/carbon and after a day or so you can take the ugliest parts out and rinse the chemical off with water (as per the instructions) and some of it looks brand new. I am not a coin expert so I cant say with 100% certainty to try this, but its worth a shot IMO.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=VkwYT4uwJdP9sQLayeHNCw&ved=0CDAQ8wIwAg

A link to said product, hope that doesnt violate the forum rules

This is a long shot, but I work for my dad at an equipment repair shop and we use a product called "chem-dip" that we soak parts in that are covered in gunk/burt on deposits/carbon and after a day or so you can take the ugliest parts out and rinse the chemical off with water (as per the instructions) and some of it looks brand new. I am not a coin expert so I cant say with 100% certainty to try this, but its worth a shot IMO.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=VkwYT4uwJdP9sQLayeHNCw&ved=0CDAQ8wIwAg

A link to said product, hope that doesnt violate the forum rules

Sounds like a possible alternative. With how worn and beat up this coin is, taking the crud off wouldn't really make this thing look any better, so I'm happy leaving it the way it is. I have other Indians that are in good shape underneath some nasty film. I may think about trying this on one that I really do not mind destroying. So, far this is my only 1866, so I will not risk it, unless I find another in good shape to replace it.

Sounds like a possible alternative. With how worn and beat up this coin is, taking the crud off wouldn't really make this thing look any better, so I'm happy leaving it the way it is. I have other Indians that are in good shape underneath some nasty film. I may think about trying this on one that I really do not mind destroying. So, far this is my only 1866, so I will not risk it, unless I find another in good shape to replace it.

Ill tell you what, seeing as its slow as hell im gonna do a little experiment. I just dug two pennies out of the register, one with green corrosion and one that just looks tarnished. Im gonna go in the back and drop them in and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom