The Harbor Freight Tumbler Just Shipped!

firewxman

Forum Supporter
Hey Friendly Folks...

I'm so excited, my Harbor Freight Tumbler was just shipped today. It should arrive late this week or early next week!

I do have a question though, many of you say use aquarium gravel as the medium. What color should I use? Went to wallymart the other day and saw there is a plethora of color choices. Wouldn't the different colors stain the coins? :?:

Thanks for the advice and cheers!

Any color that's on sale! No the color won't hurt the coins. Be sure to seperate your pennies from the nickels, dimes and quarters though, or the copper WILL stain your other 'silver colored' coins. I put a squirt of dish soap in too. We lilke clean clad. : )

Thanks!

Any color that's on sale! No the color won't hurt the coins. Be sure to seperate your pennies from the nickels, dimes and quarters though, or the copper WILL stain your other 'silver colored' coins. I put a squirt of dish soap in too. We lilke clean clad. : )

I will make sure and separate, just like doing my clothes:D. Frankiefry, how often do you change your aquarium rocks, once a tumbling? Thanks for the reply!

congrats!

I had a crappy tumbler, and bought the harbor freight last night.

I got it onsale for 34 with a the warranty.

keith

My wife and I were in Milwaukee for Christmas...both HF stores were out of the tumblers...uggg! But that was okay, I got the same deal you did ordering online...34 bucks with the warranty. Thanks for the reply!

Anybody use the double drum version from HF?
I was thinking that way I could clean clad and pennies at the same time.

Thanks
Tony

Can someone post a before and after shot? I'm new to this and was thinking about getting a HF tumbler myself. Thank you and Happy Hunting!

How often do you change out the used rocks out with new ones, and why? Might they be an endless product in reality? I mean really,,,rocks? This ain't auto oil, it's just rocks.

I have a HF tumbler coming also, shipping today to Texas. I have stuff to clean and haven't gotten my rocks yet. martin

How often do you change out the used rocks out with new ones, and why? Might they be an endless product in reality? I mean really,,,rocks? This ain't auto oil, it's just rocks.

I have a HF tumbler coming also, shipping today to Texas. I have stuff to clean and haven't gotten my rocks yet. martin

MArtin the rocks should last you for a while. Just fill the tumbler with fresh water and soap each time.

MArtin the rocks should last you for a while. Just fill the tumbler with fresh water and soap each time.

Don't mean to be ultra cheap, but what if I simply took pebbles which have collected along the driveway here at home over the decades, rinsed then, and tumbled? I just hate battling WalMarts for one item, especially when I am anxious to get going. martin

Try it. Its just clad. I dont tumble mine. I shake it in a container with hot salt water then coinstar it.

Martin, where do you think aquarium gravel comes from? You have answered your own question. Do it. Make sure they are clean.

Martin, where do you think aquarium gravel comes from? You have answered your own question. Do it. Make sure they are clean.

That's what I kept coming to in opinion after Googling aquarium gravel...my driveway pebbles & roadway stones looked lots like the pics of aquarium gravel.

So, after I was mildly surprised to see that my new tumbler was by the front door this morning, I gathered gravel from the driveway, washed it, filled the barrell to about half full with gravel and tossed in my pennies, along with a squirt of dish washing liquid. Ran it for 3 hours and I then just HAD to peek inside. Not perfect results, but spendable and many were great. I called that good and have began a run on my dimes, nickels and quarters.

I have to go hunting! After this run, I may have one more load and then I'm out of clad. It is a cool little gizmo. Knowing that you don't have more than 3lbs is a bit of a concern though. The barrel sure feels as heavy as 3lbs would when it's not even 3/4 full, and without the water added. martin

Back
Top Bottom