White's new waterproof machine...

Sandcrab

Elite Member
I have been sitting on this for a while and finally decided why not, it started from an unusual post I read and once I did some research found what I was looking for. Seemed the more I dug the more I found…

As for the “tester” I really do not care about what he is finding, I understand many on Youtube are looking for clicks. I was more interested in the machine, the settings, and how he actually used the machine. His claims about depth and everything else, I have no comment at this time. I have waaaay too many hours on this machine and know what it can and can’t do. I don’t know him, just interested in the machine. You can come to your own conclusions… I added the times so one can get right to the point in the video… Also added a couple stills at the bottom, can see by the knobs this is a Whites machine.

If you look at the stills below and this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=334&v=cJ1GJbTwqZc Here you will see the detector… Go to the 5minute mark and there it is…

How I came across that video was from a post at this site posted by “tboykin”: http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/4329-tdi-sl-vs-tdi-pro-air-test-but-still-interesting/ The video he added to his post starts at about the 6minute mark.

I watched it and wondered how one could take this test seriously? Different coils, coils are vertical, not close to the ground, one is running silent, the Pro is definitely not optimized for the settings… I can go on but will leave it for now. If you know the SL well, it even showed the odd glitch it has but the tester did not know it. It got me wondering, who is “tboykin”… Well he is Thomas Boykin, product manager of Whites and can you guess if you look on his Facebook page his favorite television show??? I found that rather interesting… Of all the videos about metal detecting on youtube, why post this person??? Even more interesting was the tester in question now has a link under his videos for Whites machines and a discount code. I talked to someone else about it and he has been offering that discount code since the middle of 2017… So will this tester give an honest opinion? It raises many questions with me, especially after watching how he used the SL…

So there you have it, Whites is now testing a waterproof TDI SL. I would imagine they will push the power of it, change filtering, maybe something with the frontend… It was said for the longest time that the TDI series was at its limits. In fact Boykin has stated that the TDI was old technology… But then they come out with a tan colored box and a different coil early this year. I know when looking at the board, there were indicators for “add ons” but they never materialized. One last push with this machine before something new hits the market??? Maybe another manufacturer has something coming later this year??? All things to consider. Price point has to be over thousand dollars, it is a water machine… Even releasing the machine, I would want to release it in early Spring for a water machine… So at least a year out???

Now I will admit, I have tinkered with the TDI as much as OBN has played with the Excal. I saw its potential, real potential, but it still needed some tinkering. From the voltage, to the coil, to the internals. Just because I could run good power, the coil and the ground has to be taken into consideration, among other things. Even the Miner John coils among others I tested and personally built with the voltage spread the TDI and the SL can have, does affect the coil and set up, sometimes in odd ways… Personally I do not like the SL as it is at the moment, and for anyone looking for a TDI would recommend the TDI or the Pro long before the SL for beach hunting. I have a few reasons why, but all TDI’s are a niche machine, heck they were made for nuggets. When both the SL and the Pro first came out, it was said the Pro was better. Once the Pro was discontinued, the SL was pushed hard. “It only loses an inch, is a smoother threshold, among other things.”

Off the top of my head OBN, Craig, Aquaman and Z are the ones that could benefit from this machine. Just by reading how they hunt and what they are looking for. I want old, deep, mens rings. I want the clunkers. I am not interested in getting 100 coins at a cut, trying to find a couple gram gold chain waist deep in moving surf, knowing the odds of it slipping through the scoop are great, or maybe finding a 2-4 gram woman’s ring. Don’t care how big the diamond is, I want a ring I could throw at someone and knock them out…

I watched all this persons videos that included the TDI, his videos are not my cup of tea, but he seems like a nice guy… When he was using the SL in other videos… Like to ask him how he sets his frequency with the SL, did he notice anything unusual??? How about the sweep speed for the SL, or the ground balance? The more it became apparent he is definitely not using the machine to optimize it. The more I watched the more I wondered if he really knew this machine… Odd thing was he was not getting the deep targets that I get with my machine; many targets he found were within VLF range.

So there you have it, maybe call Thomas Boykin at Whites, can ask him about this machine. Or even contact Whites and ask… What’s the voltage, which filters were changed, does it still run smooth, why is the headphone jack on the side if you were working in surf will get pounded and stretched, will they add another switch (That one is important), maybe a 13 inch mono coil depending on power or a 9 inch round??? Maybe he will stumble upon this post… Before you ask, no I am not a tester, which is a shame. I only know of this person and one poster on another message board which from a couple comments he must be testing… If Whites is taking this persons input as a tester, after seeing how he has set up and used this machine, I would not purchase it…

Hope the ones I know on here are doing well…

And to Dew and to Craig, I totally dropped the ball with the both of you. The issues with my family got to a point that spare time became nonexistent. Even reading the board or posting was a once a month thing… Actually posting this while sitting in a hospital playing the waiting game. Hoping can post more, have been quite productive when I could hunt. Well back to my dark cave for now…

~SSC :p

Attachments

• jnk.jpg
    jnk.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 551
  • gyh.jpg
    gyh.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 535
  • tttd.jpg
    tttd.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 546
Amen to this....
I want old, deep, mens rings. I want the clunkers. I am not interested in getting 100 coins at a cut, trying to find a couple gram gold chain waist deep in moving surf, knowing the odds of it slipping through the scoop are great, or maybe finding a 2-4 gram woman’s ring. Don’t care how big the diamond is, I want a ring I could throw at someone and knock them out…:lol:

I'm almost thinking this guy had a TDI done or got lucky at a yard sale. If you go back thru his video's he had 2 TDI Pro's at one time, and I seen a GPX in the back ground. Along with a few other top dollar water machines. My guess is he loves the TDI so he had one done..seems to have the cash for what ever he needs.

I could be wrong..:?:

My way of water proofing one would be to drop it in my dry suit in a dry bag. Only bad is adjusting the knobs. Still kicking around the idea down the road. If not for my resent windfall save of 4 boxes of old beach files research information (RIP FC) on the tristate beach's I would have gone that route. I'm retired and still not enough time to get where I want. Seems time is running out...

That looks home made to me, six pots so maybe a tdi pro oz that he swapped one pod to the right side of the shaft?

Amen to this....
I want old, deep, mens rings. I want the clunkers. I am not interested in getting 100 coins at a cut, trying to find a couple gram gold chain waist deep in moving surf, knowing the odds of it slipping through the scoop are great, or maybe finding a 2-4 gram woman’s ring. Don’t care how big the diamond is, I want a ring I could throw at someone and knock them out…:lol:

I'm almost thinking this guy had a TDI done or got lucky at a yard sale. If you go back thru his video's he had 2 TDI Pro's at one time, and I seen a GPX in the back ground. Along with a few other top dollar water machines. My guess is he loves the TDI so he had one done..seems to have the cash for what ever he needs.

My way of water proofing one would be to drop it in my dry suit in a dry bag. Only bad is adjusting the knobs. Still kicking around the idea down the road. If not for my resent windfall save of 4 boxes of old beach files research information (RIP FC) on the tristate beach's I would have gone that route. I'm retired and still not enough time to get where I want. Seems time is running out...

Joe.. I might come up with sth again. I have a tdi coil that's about 10ft long. I might rig it up to the end of an extra long shaft with a dry bag or similar . Need to check the balance... definitely not for use in rough conditions or something I would make more than once. Just something I'm pondering on.
With 3d printing technology where it is today I'm surprised no waterproof boxs have showed up on eBay...must be a tiny market for them

SSC...keep your chin up.
Life gets busy for everyone. Focus on family & your health...things will fall into place in due time. I'd love to play with that TDI here;)

I have the original TDI

How do you dissipate the heat in the waterproof box?

Wasnt it Carl who went to fisher from Whites? A few years back he was pushing them to develope a waterproof TDI with some disc..... but they put it on the back burner and he said it was going to be his project in his spare time.

Could be with the EQ and fisher coming out with the new aqua manta in the fall or early spring it was time to blow the dust off this idea for the PI guys. Lets face it they dont have a big dog as far as a VLF water machine...... BUT still has one of the best PIs being used.

SSC... we all get busy... I watched that first video when it came out... . PI JOE had sent the video to me... I also can relate to lack of having time to hunt with having to take care of my mom of 92 for the past year after she fell two times and now I do all her shopping, taking her where ever she needs to go and run my business... then try and sneak in a little time with the detector.

I'm still waiting on that info you promised me years ago :laughing:

One more thing... the SL is not as deep as the Pro...

Carter from Detector comparisons said the SL and Dual Field are of comparable depth.

Last edited:
Like Joe, Craig, and SSC, my time is limited. I did a mid-life career change and went back to college. During that time, I could play with waterproof setups. Afterall, I had more time than money, so sure, why not? Now that I’m in a new career, I have more $$$ than time. Time is precious…I’d rather spend it with family and my hobby than tinkering.

Still, as Steve said, I’m surprised the 3D printers haven’t impacted our hobby more. 3d printers can easily make new housings, caps, handles, mounting brackets, etc, etc, etc... Here is a nifty lil’ print job my co-worker just did for me. The balls roll up and down. Also, this was done in like 2-minutes. If she changed the settings, there would be less lines and it would look like a smooth, machined surface.
1b9ee50a140d1d6bc267a3dd8ca21c41.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I had seen that video too and wondered why I didnt see some mention in the forums. Didn’t see it in later vids. He does seem to use a TDI before/after it so should know how to work it. Seems set right for all the stuff he finds in Santa Cruz of all places. Do people just go there to toss their jewelry in the water or what? I dont get it. We dont find that stuff down south (with our CTX’s)...

Conventional production of moulded plastic items requires VERY expensive steel injection mounding dies. A set of these for a detector could easily run $100k and lead time in many months. Better and quicker methods are emerging.

One of the benefits of the new molding technologies is that prototypes can be done quickly and cheaply - with exactly the same design as intended for the finished item. If problems subsequently turn up (especially common in waterproof components) fixing it only costs a few thousand $ instead of tens of thousands and long lead times.

Holy post! I am gsgrandhaven on your you tube page. You do an Awsome job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see you posting SSC! Not sure why Whites mostly doesn't get discussed much like they used to? Some of their old technology is still tops. Heck the DFX is still one of my all time favorites. Just got back from the Docs myself. They said not to sign legal documents but didn't mention typing:lol:

Amen to this....

joe in his video he says he is using a new tdi sl protoype whites gave him

i need to get my TDI PRO waterproofed some day maybe i do love hunting with it have found alot of goodies real deep

Conventional production of moulded plastic items requires VERY expensive steel injection mounding dies. A set of these for a detector could easily run $100k and lead time in many months. Better and quicker methods are emerging.

One of the benefits of the new molding technologies is that prototypes can be done quickly and cheaply - with exactly the same design as intended for the finished item. If problems subsequently turn up (especially common in waterproof components) fixing it only costs a few thousand $ instead of tens of thousands and long lead times.

I haven't even heard of anyone testing the new Fisher in the field. If that's the case it's a long ways away still

i need to get my TDI PRO waterproofed some day ... found alot of goodies real deep

Only prob is trying to dig 20+ inches deep while submerged in water. There are limitations. Might work ok if you are in a glass-smooth bay, but not a typical coast.

I haven't even heard of anyone testing the new Fisher in the field. If that's the case it's a long ways away still

Ditto. Only news from Fisher is they hired an engineer. Whoopty-do. We speculate that he is designed a detector but heck, in actuality, he could be designing boxes for packaging. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom