Cleaning an already cleaned ~1800 year old Roman silver

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
KT purchased this Valerian I Silver Antoninianus 21 mm that weighs 3.80 grams. The coin dates from his reign as Roman Emperor from 253 to 256 AD. and was minted during 255-256 AD...so its an oldie.

It had been cleaned enough for identification by the dealer...but not to a pleasing state. You will see in the first two pictures the obverse and reverse of the coin has a heavy brown toning to it, probably due to it being either in irony soil or next to a rusting object...poor thing just did not look like a silver coin. The goal of the cleaning was to remove most of the brown tones which KT figured was rust, but not damage the underlying gray silver oxidation...patina...that shows the age of the coin.

After considering a number of things, KT just decided to try something different ....Super Iron Out from Walmart...He has used it many times to remove iron stains from mineral specimens and lightly rusted tools.

Here is how it was done...in a small plastic container, KT placed lukewarm water and a teaspoon of SIO powder...and stirred to dissolve the powder..then dropped in the coin and watched it carefully...within a minute bubbles began to form on the coin....a reaction gas and the water had turned slightly darker...so KT removed the coin and using an old soft toothbrush dipped the brush in the water and lightly scrubbed the coin... the solution from the coin brushing that dripped into the sink was a grayish color...repeated the brushing several times on each side until the coin had little brown tone left...then a thorough rinse and pat dry...

The coin had a slightly dull gray patina, a little duller than before cleaning, after this process, so He took a rubber art gum eraser..which contains no abrasives, and began to rub down each face of the coin...this brought out highlights on the raised portions, removing some of the dullness but not changing the color...did this until KT liked the result!

I present to you below the before and after pictures..remember that the coin is heavily corroded and KT did not wish to contribute anymore to that effect! :lol::lol:

Description of the obverse on this coin...Emperor facing right, draped bust. Script reads IMPCPLICVALERIANVUSPFAVG... Emporer Valerian Augustus Reverse...Valarian I and Gallienus (co-emperor) standing, facing each other, sacrificing over altar dressed in capes, unusual wreath over altar rarely seen in this denomination. Script reads: PIETASAVGG...Piety (Love) for fellow Augustus (in this case Gallienus).

Attachments

• Valerian I obverse.jpg
    Valerian I obverse.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 268
  • Valerian I reverse.jpg
    Valerian I reverse.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 261
  • Valerian ( obverse cleaned.jpg
    Valerian ( obverse cleaned.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 288
  • Valerian  I reverse cleaned.jpg
    Valerian I reverse cleaned.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 263
Good job and you did not go to far with the cleaning..

That was my major concern with this coin...I wanted to clean it enough that by eyeball it was recognizable as a silver coin, but since it shows much deterioration, I wanted it to remain old looking! :lol::lol:

I had earlier attempted to clean a bronze coin that had just a little profile of the emperor and it wound up looking like a bronze shiny slug! But it was too deteriorated anyway to be attributable...Roman coins hold little value if they cannot be attributed as to which emperor's reign they were made under, so I did not lose much on that bronze.

Back
Top Bottom