Cutting Plugs

SWKDigger

Elite Member
I was just wondering if anyone has used a golf cup hole cutter to cut your plug. Thinking about modifying one to be easier to carry around. The cut a 4" hole and usually up to 6" deep. Thoughts :?:

Sounds like a good idea! I've seen plug cutters for planting flowers, but they are pretty small and I'm not sure about the cone shape. A golf hole sized plug might be PERFECT.

Let us know how it works out!

Someone mentioned this before and the common answer was that it could kill the grass, as the preferable action is a horseshoe size flap folded back on itself, also the stone thing can get in the way, its rare unless your on a golf course to find loose soil with no stones in it to do this to.

This is why I joined the forum. Excellent sound board for ideas and getting quality pros and cons. :aok:

I probably won't continue to pursue this idea. I certainly don't want to kill any grass and I do hunt mainly dry soil with some rocks in it. My goal when I dig is to leave the area that I am hunting without any evidence of digging. In fact, I try to make sure the place looks better because I carry out any trash that I find along my hunt. I was thinking that cutting the round plug would allow me to replace it exactly as it was making my cover up even better.

Thanks again for the input.

The number 1 killer of grass is root damage. The worst damage you can do to roots is letting them dry out in the sun. If you make sure to dig deep plugs and keep the roots covered in moist dirt, you are fine. The problem comes when people dig shallow and tear the roots in half and then let the sun beat down on those exposed roots. That's a recipe for dead grass.

Back
Top Bottom