Spot another MD Hunter today

JCMO

So like I was out and about doing my own thinging and finding some clad when along comes this younger guy. He was running what looked like some Bounty Hunter model and at first I was like...hmmm he's in my park.

So I stopped and watched him, he was swining that puppy high and fast covering ground like it was out of style. Got to the point I was going to give him some advice but he was so quick I couldn't quite catch him.

Found this strange, I have only once before ever seen a person using a metal detector and that was a camp out with the scouts.

I also see one last week, they had a garret ace model but was with the parks department and were looking for sprinkler heads.

So, do you ever bump into over people MD'ing?

Sure!

I run into people with detectors all the time. Unfortunately they're looking for land mines. :lol:

Actually, when I was back home in the States (all eight months of it over the past 10 years) I didn't run into anyone while I was detecting, nor did I see people in Italy or England while detecting there unless it was planned ahead of time with them.
I like not running into other people out there, but I also like the idea that we probably are members of local clubs (I'm president of my local club ... and its only member) and that we know our competition/co-detectorists.
I am going to start another thread (which I'm sure has been posted before, but I like stirring up the pot) along a similar point.

Man, I can be long-winded when I'm bored at work. :shock:

That guy you saw could have been looking for his car keys or something else that he lost recently rather than doing what we do. He maybe borrowed the MD and doesn't really know how to use it properly. Or he hasn't done his homework and thinks the coins and other stuff are just going to jump out of the ground as he waves his magic wand over them. LOL : )

Since cache hunting is usually a solitary endeavor, and in more secluded spots, I do not run into other MD'rs. When I beach hunt occasionally, or when I was into coin shooting, I would occasionally see others. Now, I see them while driving by open lots or parks (like yesterday). RickO

Yesterday when I was in PG (pacific grove) I was on the beach hunting a new spot ( nothing was there) I saw a younger guy with a detector bag over his shoulder, he watched me for a bit then walked on a trail past me to the next section of beach. He didn't have to but I appreciated the courtesy.

I turned up nothing but still had a good time.

I have only ran into 1 person at a church & now we go on hunts every so often.

Met someone the other day that saw me hunting at a local school playground. We exchanged phone numbers and plan to go on a hunt in the near future.

I see them on the beach and I usually try to approach them and
chat a bit. I try to mention this forum. Met one this morning
from New Jersey who was using a Bounty Hunter and said he
was looking for something better suited for beaches.

The majority I've spoken with use Bounty Hunters, actually.
There's some regulars using Minelab Excaliburs but try to catch
them to have a word with them. :hat3: :neo:

impossible :grin:

In my area almost never..Have seen less then 2 other people in over 10 years, I wish there were more, I hate hunting alone all the time..

Interestingly enough, just a few weeks ago one of my buddies and I decided to go to Garden City which is 50 miles away and hit the tot lots. Garden City, like Dodge City, has the immigrant situation the same and being about the same size means the tot lot gold should be the same. We hit Garden City at the end of last year and that was the day I paid for my Silver uMax in the first hunt with it. I found 3 gold rings and 2 gold pendents.

We hit several lots and didn't really find what we expected. I did find 1 14k ring, but things were less than expected. As we were headed to a new lot I saw a guy swinging an Explorer II so we stopped and talked. He said he has been hunting in Garden for 30 years. His Explorer II looked pretty wore out. We got to the lot 2 blocks away and there was a husband and wife team already in the tot lot. We stopped and talked and they said they just saw 2 other people detecting in another lot down the road.

Turns out the reason we were so lucky the first time to town was because it was still cold out and, and the local hunters didn't go out in the cold.

I've never seen anyone with a detector where i go. I've asked at the local restaurants which have tables out on to the beach, and they pretty much say, nope, i'm the only one they've seen in years. But, over on the other side of the peninsula near cancun and playa i imagine there is more competition.

Back
Top Bottom