• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

21 hours in the water = gold!

Joshc214

Disclaimer: Turns out the ring was brass not gold :(

Some days gold comes easy, other times you have to put in the time/work for a few grams. I think the gold chain spoiled me early on with the Nox lol. I ended up hunting 3 beaches between Saturday, Sunday & Monday, spent 21 hours, 7 hours a day in the water and finally by the end of the 3rd day hit a section of beach with rock bottom holding heavier items which lead to the gold snake ring.

I'm 90% (90%, really Josh? lol) sure the snake ring is old gold. When it came up it was completely black, it wasn't til I was in the truck heading home that I realized it was gold. After rubbing it clean with a towel all of the black build up came right off..

The ring and dolphin pendant are marked 925. I found the pendant on day 2 and the silver ring on day 3 out of the same hole the gold ring was in... I think I'm on to something, this area of beach was solid rock bottom and had signals everywhere! Definitely will be heading back there a few more times in the future, may have hit a new honey hole :)

Nox is still going strong after 200+ hours in the water.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 703
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 660
Last edited:
:dingding: Congrats on putting the time in and being successful! Being out there on a constant basis like you're doing leads to greater successes. You're also more able to know when there are changes to explore. I had that discussion with Sexton just the other day talking about you. Hopefully the 3 of us can meet for a hunt over the summer.

:dingding: Congrats on putting the time in and being successful! Being out there on a constant basis like you're doing leads to greater successes. You're also more able to know when there are changes to explore. I had that discussion with Sexton just the other day talking about you. Hopefully the 3 of us can meet for a hunt over the summer.

Thanks Felix! That's true, just have to put in the time. Many of the locations I hunted a couple years ago no longer hold heavy items, I'm basically having to start over from scratch all over again. We'll definitely have to meet up one of these days.. I was gonna go on a hunt with Steve the other day down by you, but ended up going to a local area instead.

Last edited:
I REALLY hope I am wrong but the snake looks brass. Looks like you have a good spot. Congrats

You have me questioning this ring now :( I may have to do a scratch test. I just hate how scratch tests basically damage the finds when done right. The main reason I assumed it was gold is it had black build up on it which is similar to 10k class rings I've found in the past. Wouldn't brass have green corrosion instead?

If scuba is right, that the snake ring is brass, then it's a recent loss. A short time in briny salt could add black. But if it were in briny salt a long time, it would not be something you could "rub right off".

I'm going to guess low karat gold . Like 10k. I've seen where 10K rings (since they're not as pure) can get a black-ish coating on them, if subjected to briny mineral salt for long periods.

If scuba is right, that the snake ring is brass, then it's a recent loss. A short time in briny salt could add black. But if it were in briny salt a long time, it would not be something you could "rub right off".

I'm going to guess low karat gold . Like 10k. I've seen where 10K rings (since they're not as pure) can get a black-ish coating on them, if subjected to briny mineral salt for long periods.

I went ahead and did the 10k acid test... the gold turned darker but remained. Not sure what that means. I don't have a 9k test kit, but maybe it's lower than 10k. Meh, who knows, it's only 3 grams lol

Congrats on the silvas! One thing I've noticed about brass is that it emits an odor after giving it a rub :yes:

Meh, it has an odor to it as slimpickuns described... must be brass. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr why do people have to be so cheap, don't they know we're out there every day trying to find gold, not brass.

Back to the hunt for gold.

Last edited:
I really like the ring. I just suspected because of all the gold I find. I don't want to burst any bubble but I am honest and just say what I see.

I think you have a good spot and I wish you luck. My posts are never to offend

I really like the ring. I just suspected because of all the gold I find. I don't want to burst any bubble but I am honest and just say what I see.

I think you have a good spot and I wish you luck. My posts are never to offend

No offense taken. I've been tricked by fools gold in the past, and I'm sure it'll happen again, thanks for pointing it out for me. This was my first brass ring... it had way too many characteristics of a gold ring found in saltwater.

I also still think it's a cool find. Beats a stick in the eye :)

Back
Top Bottom