1801 House- Sweet LC's, Spanish Silver, Cool Relics

Great find! I've found 4 half reales from the 1700's, but never found any Spanish silver from the 1800's. It's almost like they stopped using it around here after the 1790's.

A fantastic permission Metal. What a great variety of history in those coins. Big congrats on the Large Cent's, the Indians, the Spanish Silver and all the rest. Hope the return trips treat you as well. Trapper

Great find! I've found 4 half reales from the 1700's, but never found any Spanish silver from the 1800's. It's almost like they stopped using it around here after the 1790's.

Thats a last year Spanish colonial silver too. Nice finds

Strange, but that seems true for Calif. Spanish reales as well: 1821 or 1822 was the last year of Spanish reales, right ? (before Mexico became independent ). Yet I've noticed that most of the Spanish reales we find here in CA are from the 1770s, 80s, 90s. And a smattering of '00s. But once you get to the 1810s/20s, .... not as many . Even in sites that didn't come into being till the 1820s or 30s, yet still not too many of the latter-period Spanish reales. Still tends to be 1790s, for example (therefore longer circulation by the time of 1820s site).

I always attributed this to possibly that the Alta CA push for colonial toe-holds (the missions) was heavily bankrolled by the crown, at the start. Yet not so much in their last decade or two, since .... by then ... the missions, pueblos, and presidios, were supposed to be self-sufficient by then. Hence: less hand-holding by the Spanish crown in the later years ?

OUTSTANDING ! Send directions I'm on the way. lol. A major attaboy on a great new permission and a fantastic hunt. Perhaps this place will be your field of dreams. Good luck Mark

No doubt!!!! I'd love to go up there and dig some cool stuff!!!!! I'm lucky to find a wheatie…...let alone the rare silver dime. Seems like the coin star is the best bet here in Florida to find old stuff...…..

Congrats on the huge score!!!!!

Strange, but that seems true for Calif. Spanish reales as well: 1821 or 1822 was the last year of Spanish reales, right ? (before Mexico became independent ). Yet I've noticed that most of the Spanish reales we find here in CA are from the 1770s, 80s, 90s. And a smattering of '00s. But once you get to the 1810s/20s, .... not as many . Even in sites that didn't come into being till the 1820s or 30s, yet still not too many of the latter-period Spanish reales. Still tends to be 1790s, for example (therefore longer circulation by the time of 1820s site).

I always attributed this to possibly that the Alta CA push for colonial toe-holds (the missions) was heavily bankrolled by the crown, at the start. Yet not so much in their last decade or two, since .... by then ... the missions, pueblos, and presidios, were supposed to be self-sufficient by then. Hence: less hand-holding by the Spanish crown in the later years ?

More interesting info...Thanks Tom

Wow, beautiful property and some incredible finds. I'm curious about the sample you are putting together - do you plan to gift some of these incredible coins back to them, or have a display case of some of your "lesser" finds?

Wow, great finds! Think I actually like the button the most...… :yes:

Me too! That's a bucket lister as well...didn't have one like that in my collection. Pre Civil war buttons are tougher finds....FULL SHANK

Attachments

• IMG_1219.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Wow, beautiful property and some incredible finds. I'm curious about the sample you are putting together - do you plan to gift some of these incredible coins back to them, or have a display case of some of your "lesser" finds?

To be honest I have a pretty nice collection of cool finds over the last few years....so they will get some quality pieces... Plus they already got me another property and put me in touch with the friends at local historic society.....

Back
Top Bottom