Garrett Carrot & Screwdriver Coin Popping

BRJ123

Elite Member
It's been a while since I've had the metal detector out, but I took a week vacation to pompano beach florida this year and brought it along in my bag of golf clubs.

Would you believe I found a 10k gold chain attached to a 10k gold wedding band! scrapped it for around $350 and like any good business man decided to reinvest into the business. I purchased a garrett propointer AT so I could get back into hunting in the dirt. (now i have the taste for gooollldd)

I am hoping someone could please point me to the best resource for learning to use the carrot and the best technique for screwdriver coin popping. I have decided these techniques are something I want to learn before attempting to dig public parks.

Thank you so much!
(sorry if it's easily found material here but I could not find a whole lot using the search function)

It's been a while since I've had the metal detector out, but I took a week vacation to pompano beach florida this year and brought it along in my bag of golf clubs.

Would you believe I found a 10k gold chain attached to a 10k gold wedding band! scrapped it for around $350 and like any good business man decided to reinvest into the business. I purchased a garrett propointer AT so I could get back into hunting in the dirt. (now i have the taste for gooollldd)

I am hoping someone could please point me to the best resource for learning to use the carrot and the best technique for screwdriver coin popping. I have decided these techniques are something I want to learn before attempting to dig public parks.

Thank you so much!
(sorry if it's easily found material here but I could not find a whole lot using the search function)

The carrot is pretty easy to use, just push the button and then circle in your plug. You can notch it down if it's signaling too hard to pinpoint by getting inside the halo and quickly push the button again for less range. If the target is on the surface or barely below, you can pinpoint from up top the dirt and it will reach down about 2 inches on a coin.

As for screwdriver popping, hunt down Mudpuppy and record him on video for us, we could all benefit from that help!

You can watch some videos on youtube and see how different people go about it.

Also, congrats on the gold!!

Can we show that here? This is a family forum....:laughing::laughing::laughing:

OK Wise guy! I dont do it at all like John E...I had to learn all on my own without the benefit of watching a vid...

The basic screwdriver fast cladding idea is this: "Ping to pouch in 15 sec or less" Its ALL about speed! I dont use a pinpointer, or the PP button on my rig, I dont drag the coil back, I "hop coil" over a target really fast, like a drummer...I know the target, its depth, its location, then just stoop and stab and hit it and get it! DP tones are a must, along with proportional audio...

Yeah...someday we will do a vid when I got a buddy thats good with a camera and knows how to film and upload...its fast though, just as fast as picking up a coin in a parking lot!...I cant imagine theres any faster retrieval method out there, Fast Clad Stabbing,...not even a sandscoop on the beach...
Mud

1. If you are hunting for tiny gold stuff then very high frequency probes like white's bull eye should be used

2. Using a screwdriver to locate a coin is a direct way to damage it. Use probe and pinpoint function of yr metal detector

We see so many posts of badly damaged and scarred coins hit by traditional digging implements...A screwdriver is of NO concern to coin damage compared to some of the wrecks we have seen by a 'conventional' digging tool..

NO way a guy could wreck a nice coin with a screwdriver to that magnitude!
Mud

Back
Top Bottom