my latest E-trac observations

gunwolf

Elite Member
going into my third month after buying a new E-trac ... no I'm not new to the machine but took a few years off do to surgery.
past few months I have spent studying sounds, both good and bad. a good sound is a solid smooth tone left and right, turn 90 degrees and left and right again... DIG! I also started listening to the warbled tone (gravely) left and right turn 90deg. left and right....DIG!
Early spring it was wet here and it created a lot of halo effect falsing with the iron( rusty nails) in the ground... now that things have dried up conciderably (still able to dig easily) I have started to notice the better and cleaner the target sounds.. by this I mean I can tell if it's deep or shallow just by the tone.
this was all masked by the moisture in the soil, at least that's my observation.
I have also learned how to pull coins from a hole that has a rusty nail in it... this works for me, but you have to find your own groove...
I get a warbled tone left and right numbers jumping from good 12-44 to 35-45 back and forth.. I hit pinpoint and if the pinpoint isn't way off (if it is it's a nail) and it is over the warbled tone I pinpoint first then turn 90 deg... if I get the same warbled sound both ways ... DIG!!! no matter what the number... yes I have just pulled a few nails this way, but I also have pulled quite a few coins, rechecked the hole with the pinpointer and found the rusty nails in the same hole. slow swing and tight gridding in any program seem to help me greatly. I use goes4ever's settings, bothe the Bill S. trashy park program, and the Andy S. coin program (both opened up a little) and a very discriminated out program I call my cherry picking program... I opened up just the numbers that I find most of my nickels, IH's, Wheats, dimes, quarters and silver. funny how most of my buffalo nickels rang in at 16-13... and the V nickels were all around 09-10,11... most of my wheats here are 12-41, memorials are 12-44.. but I have pulled silver dimes at 12-38, to 12-45... the capped bust dime (very worn and thin) came in at 12-38.. hope all this helps someone.
Tim

Nice observations!

I tend to run a near wide open screen all of the time. I also check iffys against quickmask. I have noticed that a good target's Fe can be pulled down by depth, and also by junk sharing the hole!

-pig

Nice info

I opened up just the numbers that I find most of my nickels, IH's, Wheats, dimes, quarters and silver. funny how most of my buffalo nickels rang in at 16-13... and the V nickels were all around 09-10,11... most of my wheats here are 12-41, memorials are 12-44.. but I have pulled silver dimes at 12-38, to 12-45... the capped bust dime (very worn and thin) came in at 12-38.. hope all this helps someone.
Tim
Have always read that the Etrac runs better with some disc. than wide open. Blacked out screen and air accepted coins and some jewerly small and large and opened up top rt. line for silver dollars. Seems to work nice and swing speed can be keeped up a little. Hit a 8" silver dime right next to trash latley. Don't have much time after work so that matters. Still have Andy's, GF Ever and TTF loaded to go.

Etrac Loves Discrimination

Try the iron nail test. Place a coin on the ground and place a rusty nail on each side of the coin 1" from the coin.

Run in open screen and all you will hear are the nails.

Only change 1 thing.... Set the ferrous to the 30 line and go back over the test items... All you will hear is the coin.

Guys than run TTF with a wide open screen and no discrimination are missing so many targets.

You have to have discrimination set.

Hope this helps..

Gary from Oregon

Try the iron nail test. Place a coin on the ground and place a rusty nail on each side of the coin 1" from the coin.

Run in open screen and all you will hear are the nails.

Only change 1 thing.... Set the ferrous to the 30 line and go back over the test items... All you will hear is the coin.

Guys than run TTF with a wide open screen and no discrimination are missing so many targets.

You have to have discrimination set.

Hope this helps..

Gary from Oregon

I've got the 30+ Ferrous discrimination on TTF Ferrous set-up as a program now Gary... It makes sense... Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom