Splitting the bounty?? -how and who gets what?

SloweDigger

So, I would like to find a partner, but when you find a partner, and go on a hunt, and find some good items that can be sold, what do you do?

Keep what you find and the partner keeps what they find?
Put it all in a pile, sell and split it, what is the process?

I know it can be discussed per partnership, but what have you found to be the standard?

I am working on a possible dig in a field, no idea on the acreage, but I need to know the SOP first.

please chime in on how you work with a partner on a dig.

Everyone keeps what they find.. Never heard of anyone doing different except the treasure hunting boats in Florida...

<°)))>{

Unless you are digging a bottle dump or a outhouse where you are both working together on the same whole everyone keeps what they find. Simple as that.

if it's just random individual coins of nominal value, then each keeps their own. But for if someone has found a cache, then my normal rule with my hunt buddies is: 2/3 to the finder, and 1/3 split between whomever else was on that hunt.

Because often-time mutual research effort could have gone into it (or, quite frankly, you could be nothing more than an INVITEE to someone else's hard-researched site). So it's only fair that someone who scores a cache bonanza should split.

It can get complicated if an individual coin turns out to be worth big $$. I took a guy to one of MY SITE (that I went through the trouble to find, etc....). He found a rare CC seated quarter. The coin sold for nearly $6k :) I never asked for any portion of the proceeds, but .... oddly .... we HAD rehearsed before the start of that trip, about the 2/3 - 1/3 rule. But nothing had been said about solo coins . Oh well :)

If you have a site, that's exclusively your, or you are looking for a specific treasure (Farmer John's retirement fund), maybe make some sort of arrangement. Just out at random parks or other places, door knocking. Each should keep what they find. You have the same chances. Think if a person is right, and does find something good, will share, least buy you a beer... It's really about having fun and a little adventure, the experience. Regardless of how you work it out, the numbers always bring out the greed in people, which doesn't usually end up much fun.

It's very rare to find something worth thousands. The cash from most finds would be gone in a month or two (day or two, if married), but memories last a lifetime, unless your getting old, gears are slipping a little. Better to make good memories.

if it's just random individual coins of nominal value, then each keeps their own. But for if someone has found a cache, then my normal rule with my hunt buddies is: 2/3 to the finder, and 1/3 split between whomever else was on that hunt.

Because often-time mutual research effort could have gone into it (or, quite frankly, you could be nothing more than an INVITEE to someone else's hard-researched site). So it's only fair that someone who scores a cache bonanza should split.

I like your rule, Tom. A lot more genuine joy by all when everyone gets a stake in the find, versus sour grapes when one person scores big and the rest get nothing.

What I find is MINE!
What YOU find we SPLIT!

Pretty simple...

haha, good one chipk :) I went on a md'ing trip with a certain buddy once, and we had this conversation on the way. I suggested that if a cache were found, it would be the 2/3 - 1/3 rule. The buddy bristled at that notion, and said "we each keep what we find, period".

A part of me wondered if your post wouldn't have been exactly what would happen IF if were I that found a cache. Ie.: would my buddy feel that it should be split ? Or would he be perfectly happy with me and my $1,000,000 flitting away to the Bahamas? haha

Unfortunately, I have YET to have ever had this horrible "split" dilemma fall on any of my friends & I, haha :roll:

If you and some buddies stop off at a store to buy a beer (or more), and you each decide to buy a lottery ticket. Would you feel entitle to a fair share of any winning tickets? Would you feel compelled to split your own winning ticket? Or would simply be happy for the lucky winner?

A huge treasure, is very rare. Not really worth an argument over each gold ring, chain, or anything else, that comes out of the ground. Best hope that if something beyond belief, and worth quite a bit, the finder would willingly share some of it. At least, a little 'Hush' money, if the friend doesn't feel inclined to share with the IRS, spouse, creditors...

Me and my main hunting partner have a pack we each keep what we find unless it is a cashe. If a Cashe then we spilt it even if we are not hunting together. That is something we both agreed on.

If you've researched a place thoroughly, I would hit it hard solo even if it took several hunts. Once you're willing to bring another hunter out there, you're willing to give up your stake unless some other arrangement has been agreed upon, whatever that maybe.

Wow, this is an old thread. Just noticed the dates. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom