I'm taking the plunge on a Garrett Propointer

MacTech

Last week, I tried a co workers Garrett Propointer after work, nice pointer, I also had a HF PP inbound, that arrived today, and I already made three finds with it, two pieces of copper flashing, and a 1940's wheatie.

The sensing range is about 1" from the tip, and I really hate the piezo shrieked speaker, aside from that, it's a decent enough unit, not the most ergonomic, but it does what it's supposed to do.

It turns out I miss the range of the GPP and the ramping beeps of the GPP that rise as you approach the target the most, the HF is an all-or-nothing beep, and very short range.

My co worker purchased three new GPP's on eBay (I sent her the link to the thread here on counterfeit GPP's, they are all legit) and she is selling them for a good price, so I'm buying one, new, with warranty card, she'll have mine at work tomorrow, looking forward to it.

You may want to look into the the Whites TRX. Just about everyone who has posted after buying the TRX is leaving the ProPointers in the car as backup. List price is a few bucks more but selling prices are in line with the PP, you just have to ask the dealer for a quote as whites does not let them advertise discounts. It is hard to find the post on the TRX as the forum search says TRX is to short...That should be changed..
Here is a link to one that is fairly recent
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=188121

Just scroll down the page and go to the next, you should find a few in this forum

You may want to look into the the Whites TRX. Just about everyone who has posted after buying the TRX is leaving the ProPointers in the car as backup. List price is a few bucks more but selling prices are in line with the PP, you just have to ask the dealer for a quote as whites does not let them advertise discounts. It is hard to find the post on the TRX as the forum search says TRX is to short...That should be changed..
Here is a link to one that is fairly recent
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=188121

Just scroll down the page and go to the next, you should find a few in this forum

Agree. Barring any glitch on the TRX, I think you'll start seeing Garrett propointers have to sell used for real cheap. The market is gonna be flooded with used pro pointers. If you want pro pointers it might be a good idea to hold out and wait for bargain bin back ups. I know if I want a back up I'm buying another TRX. And I have a pro find and pistol probe still;)

If my PP ever craps out I might try the TRX, or at least read a lot of TRX reviews. But I like the PP. I wish it had more than one speaker because it seems like the speaker is always facing away from me and I never seem to totally trust the vibration indication. I end up rotating it to make sure I am able to hear the beeping.
As far as the Horrible Freight pinpointer, I tried it and it definitely taught me the value in having a pinpointer to begin with, so I do owe it that.
Gilly

Agree. Barring any glitch on the TRX, I think you'll start seeing Garrett propointers have to sell used for real cheap. The market is gonna be flooded with used pro pointers. If you want pro pointers it might be a good idea to hold out and wait for bargain bin back ups. I know if I want a back up I'm buying another TRX. And I have a pro find and pistol probe still;)

I hope you're right! I would like to buy a couple up. I tried them all and I like the printer the best. It's just so simple and quick...

You will be glad you have it. Youtube videos show waving a hand full of dirt in front of your coil. When the item is still in the ground you dont need to randam dig the hole bigger, its nice to know what side of the hole to dig.

By now your plunge should be over. Here is an address that you might want to keep handy. Garrett Repair facility 1881 W State St. Garland Tx 75042:p

I've never had a problem with mine, going on 2 years...I realize they won't last forever but what does...

I was not so lucky, two returns in less than a year and the final replacement sure did not impress. Some of the early released units seemed to do much better.

By now your plunge should be over. Here is an address that you might want to keep handy. Garrett Repair facility 1881 W State St. Garland Tx 75042:p

This coming from a guy who says people will leave targets behind if they aren't using a trx to pinpoint:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Nope! The rugged Garrett Pro is the only way for me!

The scrape blade keeps my lesche clean!

+1 I had the trx and did not like it.. gpp for me. I traded the TRX for a sweet set of grey ghost CTX under water headphones and the guy pm'd me the day he got the trx in the mail and said he did not like it either and got rid of it

Minelab CTX Dirty30-Teknetics T2 Se

Well, it's only been one day and I've found the following in the front yard with the Coinstrike and with final pinpointing help from the GPP...

Clad quarter and penny (4" deep)
Very large chunk of lead sheeting (12" deep)
Wing nut and bolt (3" deep)
1956 wheat penny (6" deep)

And then there were the surface finds, just waving the PP over the grass and digging less than 1.5", this was using the PP only, no Coinstrike
About 6 .22 casings
4 decking screws
A square nail
A galvanized nail
A large square bolt at about 2"

These were all located just under the surface, close to the patio where my niece and nephew run around barefoot during the summer

So far, I'm sold on the GPP :D

This coming from a guy who says people will leave targets behind if they aren't using a trx to pinpoint:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yep I got caught, I had that pre TRX pin pointer itch to find something better and after two returns of the Gpp I did find something that better fit my style of hunting with the new TRX. I am not setting waiting two weeks for my Gpp to be returned from repair, I am out hunting.

Back
Top Bottom