Help with 1 piece Eagle button (solved! Eagle A, 1821-1840)

gtoast99

Forum Supporter
Hey ya'll! I found this 1 piece button not too long ago, didn't clean it up much. I was just going through finds from that hunt, and it looks like there's an eagle on the front of it. I was wondering if you might be able to help me out with an ID. It's a thick convex penny-size button with shank. The back appears to have three rings and one ring of stars. Not sure if there is anything between the other rings or not. The eagle is left facing, upward spread wings, and I think I can see arrows on the right. Found at an OLD homesite in NC, I think around 1810's. I've included raw pictures, as well as contrast enhanced images. I took one flatbed scan (also contrast enhanced), and although you can't see the edges, it shows the eagle pretty well. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• both1.jpg
    both1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 311
  • both2.jpg
    both2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 287
  • scan enhanced 1.jpg
    scan enhanced 1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 295
The US made a concave one piece eagle button starting around 1824 and continued until about 1854. I couldn't make out the eagle much so I don't think I can tie it down much better than above. Regards.

By the number of bands on the back and the stars in the third from the outermost band, it looks like a pre-1830s to late 1840s Robinson, Jones & Co. If you can make out any letters that would make up the words 'Extra' and 'Rich' with a '.*.*.*.' in the same row and between the two words on both sides, that may be it. It won't be the same as the pic below as I see no words in the second from the outermost band but it could be a variation as RJC is the only button maker I can think of that used that number of bands on the back. That's all I can gleam from the pics.

0012-e1328313357795.jpg

Thanks! From my own research and this and several other forums, I believe it to be Tice AY199D19 (Albert's AY62, not sure which subtype). It would be an early artillery button with the A worn off. I looked for similar backmarks among the GS and I buttons in Tice and didn't find any, but I did find AY199D19 with the backmark " *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. ". Another forum also showed me this example of AY199Ds4, which shows the same device and backmark but in cuff size. I found a dug example of the coat size on another forum with the same backmark in a series of concentric rings which appear to match my button as well as a matching device, misidentified as AY199Ds4 (likely by using relicman's site and failing to take into account the size difference).

So I do believe that's it, 1821-1840 US artillery button Tice AY199D19.

Thanks for the help!!

Back
Top Bottom