Garrett Pro Pointer is giving me issues

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
Hey everyone. I've had my Garrett Pro Pointer now for about 3 years. It's always worked great until lately. I've noticed that it does a lot of extra chirping which makes it really hard to find what I've dug up or to find where I should dig in the hole if my pinpointing was off.
I've thought that maybe it's because there are a lot of extra bits of metal in the ground around the main target but I've held it up away from the ground on a couple occasions and it'll still chirp randomly.
When I get it to my target object it'll still go nuts but it is really tough getting to that point and I end up wasting 4-5 extra minutes on each dig.

I just changed the battery about 2 weeks ago so I am kind of stumped as to why it is doing this.

I'm kind of wondering if it's time for a new one??

Has anyone else had this issue?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Try putting a quarter or a larger token inside the cap. Your battery terminals have likely lost their spring-ness.

Other than that, try another new battery, a good brand alkaline. Hope this helps.

My experience is the coil wires in the tip become faulty, I reinsulated mine and it lasted a few weeks longer. Best to send it to Garrett

Yep, if it's giving up the ghost, it's cheaper to send to Garrett and have them repair completely (they'll gut it, and it'll come back looking new), than to buy a new one.

Yes, send it back and they'll do a nice job of reviving it. They did mine and it came back spanking new looking and acting, and has behaved itself for 2 years now.

Hey everyone. I've had my Garrett Pro Pointer now for about 3 years. It's always worked great until lately. I've noticed that it does a lot of extra chirping which makes it really hard to find what I've dug up or to find where I should dig in the hole if my pinpointing was off.
I've thought that maybe it's because there are a lot of extra bits of metal in the ground around the main target but I've held it up away from the ground on a couple occasions and it'll still chirp randomly.
When I get it to my target object it'll still go nuts but it is really tough getting to that point and I end up wasting 4-5 extra minutes on each dig.

I just changed the battery about 2 weeks ago so I am kind of stumped as to why it is doing this.

I'm kind of wondering if it's time for a new one??

Has anyone else had this issue?

I've had the exact same issue for a couple years with my propointer. It'll randomly start chirping when I turn it on with no metal around. If it isn't chirping already it'll start chirping after I move it towards a metal object and continue chirping after I move it away. Usually after I turn it off and back on a couple of times it calms down

I've had the exact same issue for a couple years with my propointer. It'll randomly start chirping when I turn it on with no metal around. If it isn't chirping already it'll start chirping after I move it towards a metal object and continue chirping after I move it away. Usually after I turn it off and back on a couple of times it calms down
Yeah, I just said to heck with it and bought a new one. It's too difficult to find anything after you've dug your plug when it's acting all wonky like that. Its doing exactly what you decribed. I think it'll be my backup.

Here's another thing that can go wrong with the pin pointer, moisture. Remove the battery cap and the rubber switch cover and let it air out for a day or so. Whatever you do, never ever take the pin pointer apart. Period! I know from experience. You will only make things worse and it will cost you more money when you send it in to Garrett for repairs.

beephead

I was having the same problem with the TRX pin pointer. I took it apart and it had a bunch of fine dust in it so I washed the housing out with hot soapy and sprayed down the insides with CRC Electra Clean. It's four years old and seems to be working fine now. It's suppose to be water proof so I don't know how the fine dust particles got in there ?

I do not think that the GPP has adjustable sensitivity - happy to be corrected

They have a rep for 'falsing' - 'chirping'

Thought he had the AT, it does have sens adjust. That being the case, try whats already been suggested. Make sure it doesn't have moisture inside, clean and tighten up the battery connection. After going thru two pro pointers I upgraded to the carrot. Year and a half now with no problems at all.

My pro pointer does have adjustable sensitivity. You just hold it the distance you want it to "see" from something metal and turn it on. When you turn it off and back on again it's reset to max.

Never

Had a problem with mine, other than changing the batteries , and screwing the cap down tight, while your pointer is getting repaired , get a Garrett Carrot, i really like that pointer, i grab it before the TRX now, the old Pro pointer never get's used now, it's classified as a spare now :lol:, happy hunting Earl

The old black ones were and are a bad design. Get a new one and save yourself some agony.

My brother just bought a carrot. On our first water trip, a river ford, it failed. I as well have the carrot, mine worked perfectly. Told him to contact the seller. Hopefully he'll get satisfaction on a return. I'll let ya'll know.

Back
Top Bottom