• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Possible Gold Ring

Larbo

I hunted a park in Tokyo for a couple of hours and found some clad and a few interesting items. The first was an old bullet. I'm not sure what kind but it looks like mid to late 1800's. It has a hollow base and no rings.

Then I found a what I think is a Zaigo Gunjin-Kai badge which translates into Imperial Veterans Association or Imperial Reservist Association depending on which source you check on the internet. They were active from 1910 until 1945.

The last thing I found is what seems like a gold ring but it only has a hallmark or makers mark without any numbers to tell what the purity of the gold is. It is too small to fit on my pinky finger but it weighs about 4 grams on my scales that only weigh to the nearest gram.

It was at least 6 inches deep and seems kind of old fashioned so it may have been buried for a long time. It was near where I found 3 ¥10 coins from the 1950's at about the same depth so it could be around the same age but there is no way to know. It showed up in the low 50's on my AT Pro.

Does anyone know what the mark means? Hopefully it is clear enough to see in the pictures but it is a crown like symbol above a capitol R.

I think it is gold but I would like to confirm it if possible. Thanks.

Last edited:
Looks like old gold to me..

Big congrats!

<°)))>{

Thanks Ice Scratcher! Looks like gold to me too. You can also see where there are flat places or small hammer marks from when the gold strands where being braided together so it is a soft metal.

I was just wondering about it because there are no marks like K18 or .750 like you find on gold rings today. I'm not sure when they started using the standardized markings in Japan or maybe it was made by a small jeweler and they only used a makers mark.

That looks like gold to me! I doubt someone would put that nice makers mark on it w/o it being so.

BCD

That is what I was thinking too. I just wanted get other people's opinions. I don't want to think I found gold if I really didn't.

Yeah! I'd say its gold! My Wife and Daughter used to buy rolls of gold wire and make similar rings...If you cant see any wear through areas of plating, you probably got one there! Let us know...

Back
Top Bottom