Tip Protectors - Would Red be useful/wanted?

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
All,

Most of you know I have tip protectors for pin pointers manufactured (Which is actually more pricey than you'd think..costs me several hundred bucks a batch!), and I offer them close to cost to folks on Ebay (I do make a few bucks, to cover my time and give me some reason to actually keep selling them.)

These tip protectors are currently offered only in BLACK, because that's the material that I originally prototyped and tested. Talking with my supplier, we've worked out that the material can also be produced in RED without compromising any material integrity (it's amazing that colors CAN compromise, but totally makes sense, when you get down to the chemistry of coloring materials).

Here's the thing, though... while the costs would be "about" the same (not enough to raise end user costs), it does mean I'd have to get another shipment. That means hundreds of dollars in investment for a product that might not sell. I'm currently sitting on product inventory now, for example, that will take 4 months of selling to finally break even on the TRX series. I have to be careful with that kind of investment.

I'm trying to gauge whether or not there'd be interest in a tip protector that was RED. Personally, I'd only want it on a black pin pointer (such as the TRX, Pro Pointer, or Pro Find... but don't know how other folks feel).

Any one care to chime in? The tip protectors are the ones shown in the pictures (if you want one, btw, just type in "pinpointer tip protector" on eBay, and they'll pop right up... mine are the ones that are sold in sets of 3, so you never have to order another one. LOL).

Here's the pictures:

Attachments

• Tip Protector.jpg
    Tip Protector.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Tip Protector2.jpg
    Tip Protector2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Tip Protector3.jpg
    Tip Protector3.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 139
  • Tip Protector4.jpg
    Tip Protector4.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 137
Red would definitely be a good choice for the darker pointers for sure. Is orange one of the colors that what mess with the quality or pricing? Seems that may be more appropriate than red, even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Personally I like Henry's idea. " You can have any color you like as long as it's black." :no:

I buy the 3/4 inch Shephard Hardware chair leg tips (about $3 3pac Lowes or Home Depot) in black and white for mine. I prefer the white, never gave much thought about the red. Might help to find a lost pointer maybe.

Last edited:
Red would definitely be a good choice for the darker pointers for sure. Is orange one of the colors that what mess with the quality or pricing? Seems that may be more appropriate than red, even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sadly, yes. The only two colors that are potential material stable and even remotely cost effective (at this point) are red and black. I'm looking at a yellow in the future, but it's likely to be too soft, and while it would be fantastically flexible, the last thing you want is a tip that "bunches" when you rub it on the ground, and wears away faster than a henna Tattoo.

Thanks for checking!

Personally I like Henry's idea. " You can have any color you like as long as it's black." :no:

Well, I like to think my protectors are more technologically advanced than the Model T... but the reality is, it's borrowed tech. LOL

Black may be what it is!

DSC02860.JPG These are from work.I throw them away usually, I grabbed a couple to post.They come off from copper tubes that I braze together, like I say we normally just throw them in the trash. I don't use them for a pinpointer, I just threw it on to make sure it fit. I'm thinking red doesn't look all that great on my old beat up pro pointer. Wide Painters mask tape over the switch increases the odds, it will start up every time, keeps mud and water out of the pro pointer. speaker holes are electrical taped off as well.

Back
Top Bottom