Using Deus in modern trash

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Using a Deus in modern trash,,,like any other detector,,this can be challenging.

Using Deus in such an environment,,,sure a person can use settings just like they are hunting an old site with (little or no modern trash),, instead with loads of nails.

And yes some good finds can be had,,,but here is another way to sniff out some good higher conductive targets.

The Deus is one quick detector,,,it tonally can reflect different targets of differing conductivity.

But it too has its limits.
So what can a person do,,,to maybe put the odds in their favor,,,meaning find more hopefully with less digging.

Sure folks working on a dig all nonferrous protocol,,,fewer good finds likely to slip by,,but at the same time doing so depends on the site (how much one can dig),, how much time they have to actually detect ( during current outing).

I encourage folks to try the following experiment,,,get yourself a few of the different styles of pull tabs,,and a few higher conductive coins like wheat head, dime, quarter,,silver ring.

The purpose of this exercise to to reflect ,,,,how the Deus can react and report tone to the user (tone wise),,, and alert user to dig.

Like I said before the Deus is quick,,,extremely good separation for coil size,,,meaning it is capable of alerting users to higher conductors tone wise when they are commingled with mid and lower conductors.

So I encourage folks to start mixing higher conductive coin and pull tab on top of the ground,,,experience with spacing,,,,you should notice as distance closes between the tab and coin,,,Deus tone provided on higher conductor doesn't sound the same.

If an op will slow sweep and listen closely,,,you can actually hear the Deus providing a mid and highe tone on the sweep--- but is pretty hard to hear.

Btw try the following program Deus fast stock program.

So this different tone provided on the ( extremely close) positioned nonferrous objects,,,,can the higher tone actually be made more pronounced ,,,so one can hear easier???
The answer is yes.

Now I need to say doing the following will work,,,but some targets ( good) will be missed ( most likely those near iron possibly).

As a user sweeps the lower conductive tab and say dime ( while closely) positioned,,,the tone provided take note of it,,,and look at the Deus' meter.

You should be hearing what sounds like one continuos tone (with a hint of higher tone and lower tone,,,almost like a hee haw sound as the coil passes over.
User should also see in the meter,,an average TID provided,,TID provided midway mostly between the actual VDI readings when each ( the lower and higher conductor) are swept separately.

Note this meter reading.

Next go to your notch setting in the menu,,,start applying notch,,and notch up to the average (composite) meter reading noted above,,,then swing back over closely commingled objects.

Then raise your notch a little more and resweep.
Continue repeating this,,you should reach a point where a nice high tone is being provided on say the dime,,,,even though the tab is extremely close.

With some more experimenting,,,a Deus user should be able to tell,,,,how much notch they wish to try to eek out some of the better targets ( higher conductors) out of areas with lots of modern trash like foil,,can slaw and tabs.

Is this a perfect system,,when used ??? Nope.

But it will work nevertheless.

Give this experiement a try,,,and consider using it in some of your sites.

Users should notice,,,if they "just" notch up tab level VDI wise,,,the Deus' tone not a clear high tone,,,but with some additional raises in notch setting,,,higher conductor rings in with nice high tone.

This recommendation is an additional way to hunt a site--- not designed to be a end all or one all method of hunting sites with modern trash.

Cheers.

Today I was getting at least 30 hard hits that we're all midtones on every swing,I kid you not.i mean good solid hits...I did dig a few at first,all pull tabs.i was hunting the sidelines almond a fence from a old baseball field that's from the early 40s ,,could even be older.I think they us to drink beer or pop with those old beaver tails ,cause every one of them were a beaver tail....the deus sounded like a midtone ar15...But,it made the high tones ez,I was picking them out left and right,and every one a coin.

I would jewlery hunt tot lots but that's it.The deus in my limited education is a coin demon,it don't miss nothing.Just a dream to swing,and I just figured out the program I had was gmax I think it's called.ill hafto get more time on it,but it's a keeper.
Thanks for all the threads tnsharpshooter on the deus,I've been reading them all.

Today I was getting at least 30 hard hits that we're all midtones on every swing,I kid you not.i mean good solid hits...I did dig a few at first,all pull tabs.i was hunting the sidelines almond a fence from a old baseball field that's from the early 40s ,,could even be older.I think they us to drink beer or pop with those old beaver tails ,cause every one of them were a beaver tail....the deus sounded like a midtone ar15...But,it made the high tones ez,I was picking them out left and right,and every one a coin.

I would jewlery hunt tot lots but that's it.The deus in my limited education is a coin demon,it don't miss nothing.Just a dream to swing,and I just figured out the program I had was gmax I think it's called.ill hafto get more time on it,but it's a keeper.
Thanks for all the threads tnsharpshooter on the deus,I've been reading them all.

Deus is a good detector,,,the more milder the ground the better the ID at depth.

But even in higher mineral ground,,,if a person will learn how to use-- deadly.

If you have any old sites full of iron and nails,,,,get ready,,you are in for a surprise.

Just remember hunting such sites,,,sure Deus will do clean hits,,but will also give signals on some very challenged nonferrous targets--- and signals (clues) provided not exactly text book.

Try to detect these same targets in their configuration,,,with other detectors same similar sized coil--- likely no dice.

As light as the Deus is,,,you should stick with it. It will serve you well.

Btw contrary to want some folks believe,,,even in modern trash,,,you can hunt behind CTX and etrac.

I have been in such sites,,,and did head to head on Deus discovered suspect targets,,,,Deus could alert on some the Minelabs wouldn't,,and etrac was wearing smaller coil than Deus.

I look forward to reading your hunt stories,,,and your thoughts on the detector.

Basically, I look at it like this,,,if you ever start missing FBS detector,,,keep the Deus and buy a cheap used SE pro and roll on..

Cheers.

Nice post!

I too just received my deus (lite 9") last week. I was wondering, what frequency are you guys using for coin hunting?

I've experimented with them all in my test bed, and 4k seems to give me the best depth and harder hits on high conductor coins, and ok-ish ones on nickels and gold rings. 12k seems to give the most balanced.

I'm using full tones, and I understand the relationship between depth and reactivity/silence being lower = deeper. With the lite, you cannot control those 2 settings, so I modded program #2 into 4k and full tones. It seems to give me the best total depth of all programs available to the lite version.

I ordered Andy's book, and it should be here tomorrow.

I'm going to upgrade the deus come Christmas, to the remote. I Have noticed though, it will be cheaper to get the mid-range deus package $1239 vs $800 for just the remote. That way, I will have 2 deus and both the 9" and 11" coils and only have to swap out the remote! At least that is how I'm going to sell it to the wife :p

Nice post!

I too just received my deus (lite 9") last week. I was wondering, what frequency are you guys using for coin hunting?

I've experimented with them all in my test bed, and 4k seems to give me the best depth and harder hits on high conductor coins, and ok-ish ones on nickels and gold rings. 12k seems to give the most balanced.

I'm using full tones, and I understand the relationship between depth and reactivity/silence being lower = deeper. With the lite, you cannot control those 2 settings, so I modded program #2 into 4k and full tones. It seems to give me the best total depth of all programs available to the lite version.

I'm going to upgrade the deus come Christmas, to the remote. I Have noticed though, it will be cheaper to get the mid-range deus package $1239 vs $800 for just the remote. That way, I will have 2 deus and both the 9" and 11" coils and only have to swap out the remote! At least that is how I'm going to sell it to the wife :p

I was using 3 tone,sens at 90 ,gb. at 90,8khz and not sure on the rest.but it was bangin on coins

Nice post!

Which freq best for coin hunting??

Good question.

Based on my experiences,,,using Deus.

Deeper nickels,,4khz,,using a no no.
8khz is decent,,,12khz ideal,,and 18khz good also.

Some additional comments when it comes to coin hunting.

Sure you can run 4khz or even 8 kHz and coin hunt for highe conductive coins,,,using these freqs what are the advantages???

Using the lower freqs,,they don't pick up the smallest of nonferrous (usually lower conductors as much,,,meaning nuisance targets won't be heard so much.

I do need to point out though,,,let's say you are hunting a very old site loaded with iron and nails.

The Deus has the capability to see some nonferrous targets that are tangled up in the iron and nails,,,,,using higher freqs here will allow.

Users using 18khz,,,with a higher reactivity like 3 or even 4,, Deus is at its best when it comes to separation and unmasking.

What about using 12khz in such sites??

A user can do,,and even make some good finds of say coins in and around iron,,,but using 12khz causes Deus to not unmask and separate as good as using 18khz.

This difference here,,,is small,,but still true,,,and with enough time in the field,,,when a user is hunting sites as I have described above,,,,head to head on "some" targets will definitely reveal what I've said here.

Deus lite owners.
I strongly recommend if you can,,,to partner up with a full Deus setup user,,,,and let them program your setup using their remote with some programs for you to use in the field.

This is not meant to demoralize Deus lite users,,,but doing the above,,,a user will get more out of their units performance wise ( depending on site and tiargets of interest).

And yes like you have said,,,silencer setting does impact depth for detection,,and default settings used with factory programs are too high for best performance on deeper targets.

To add here,,,I mentioned this to one of the sponsors here,,,and asked them,,,,why didn't they program Deus lite units maybe before shipping to customers with some additional useful programs.

Any sponsors here that read this,,,,should consider,,,and advertise you do such,,,might boost your sales.

Now this wouldn't work for units that are dropped shipped obviously,,,but a unit coming directly from a sponsor,,it would.

I see you have plans to get a remote,,or a package with remote.
My 2 cents here,,,buy a used Deus complete setup with the coil size you currently lack.

Cheers.

Great points! Finding that "go to" setup for old sites with modern trash would definitely come in handy. Those can truly test ones patience! I know. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom