Garrett AT Pro Numbers

BRJ123

Elite Member
I recently bought a new Garrett AT Pro:

I am what I would consider inexperienced but not new to the hobby. I have been hunting several times over the past few years with my trusty Tesoro Cibola and have learned the sounds pretty well. I purchased the AT pro because I wanted to try a multi tone detector with the visual display.

However, I am baffled by the AT Pro. The numbers that have been coming up are very erratic. even when I find a target that is pretty solid i see it bounce around. for example if I am swinging over a penny or dime it will hit the mid 70's consistently but also give a bunch of poor information such as 10-30's surrounding the target. This seems to happen in both PRO and STD modes. Ground balance is 85, sensitivity 2 from max. I was thinking maybe it was just a trashy area but when I swing back over the now vacant hole there is no signal.

Is this normal or can someone tell anything about the situation from the way I described it? I just want to make sure I don't have a bum detector before I drive myself nuts trying a bazillion settings.

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, the ATP has a habit of falsing on the wire for the coil and it could help to run the wire straight up the shaft about a foot before wrapping it around. Zip tie it to the shaft to keep it from sliding down near the coil. Good luck and HH!

If I remember correctly, the ATP has a habit of falsing on the wire for the coil and it could help to run the wire straight up the shaft about a foot before wrapping it around. Zip tie it to the shaft to keep it from sliding down near the coil. Good luck and HH!

interesting thought, I'll give this a try tonight. Thank You!

Mine will do that at times. With the stock coil you could be catching some junk or rusty bits around the edge of the coil while the main target is closer to the center. That could be giving you some of the false, jumpy signals. The smaller 5x8 coil (or other small aftermarket coil) helps minimize this and for me has tightened the numbers up. Really dry ground seems to cause this to happen for me also. Not sure why.

You will love the AT....soon you will learn the "language". I have both coils and use the large primarily... and do great with it. Initially the unit may seem "chattery"....that was my experience too.
* Make sure the coil wire starts off going "over" and then under the shaft!
* Make sure the wire wraps tight around the shaft all the way up.
* Get a good ground balance and don't hesitate to re-ground balance often.
* Initially I ran Pro Zero with 30 discrimination and MAX sensitivity.....after 6 months Pro Zero, No Discrim, MAX sensitivity. I get great depth with it....Example -Half Dime at 10 inches
Also do a "factory reset" if it continues to act erratically...that will clear up most issues

Having said that, you will get jumpy numbers and tones with some targets. AT usually gives a range of numbers for lot of targets, larger and shallower targets may give a steady number. If you are getting a 76-79 with some 34/45's jumping in, usually indicates a piece of iron or tin foil in with the primary target. There have been many times where I pull a coin and a nail.

Good luck and have fun...AT Pro is the real deal.....HH!

You will love the AT....soon you will learn the "language". I have both coils and use the large primarily... and do great with it. Initially the unit may seem "chattery"....that was my experience too.
* Make sure the coil wire starts off going "over" and then under the shaft!
* Make sure the wire wraps tight around the shaft all the way up.
* Get a good ground balance and don't hesitate to re-ground balance often.
* Initially I ran Pro Zero with 30 discrimination and MAX sensitivity.....after 6 months Pro Zero, No Discrim, MAX sensitivity. I get great depth with it....Example -Half Dime at 10 inches
Also do a "factory reset" if it continues to act erratically...that will clear up most issues

Having said that, you will get jumpy numbers and tones with some targets. AT usually gives a range of numbers for lot of targets, larger and shallower targets may give a steady number. If you are getting a 76-79 with some 34/45's jumping in, usually indicates a piece of iron or tin foil in with the primary target. There have been many times where I pull a coin and a nail.

Good luck and have fun...AT Pro is the real deal.....HH!

Very well said! Much better than I could have done.

This recent thread has some good info on interpreting the Pro's VDI numbers. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=234568&highlight=Pro+detectoristas+(guys+gals)!

The AT PRO is truly an amazing machine.
I have found so many coins in the hole with nails and other trash - it would blow your mind!
It continually finds tiny (and I do mean tiny) pieces of metal the size of earring backs.
Very powerful for separation in trashy areas.
the only drawback is lack of depth, that is the reason I bought a 3030 for deep hunting in parks, but I still use my PRO every week for tearouts and such.

Back
Top Bottom