Help Me Pick My PP

Valkyrie

Im a new member but long time lurker. Been MDing for a few years. Lots of research in to buying a new PP and I am stumped between the Garret PP and the Whites TRX.

I honestly cannot decide.

I think I have read too many threads and reviews here and the rest of the web. I have a trip coming up in about three weeks and I want to get myself set up and comfortable with the new unit before I leave.

For the last few years I have been using a cheap Bounty Hunter PP and though it has a crappy battery case and is held together with electrical tape and epoxy, it has done the job. Time for a new one though and I cannot decide.

Ughh, I know this has been done to death also.

Difficult for anyone to recommend either unless they own one of each already. I have the Garret, and I think it's great. Someone else that has the Whites will say it's great also.
I would see what each is rated for. Usually 1 star to 5 stars. Everyone has an opinion.... maybe check with Bart at bigboyshobbies. He's an honest guy and wont try to sell you what you don't want or need.

Wow, in less than an hour you made a great decision. Must have been some of that military training that helped.

Wow, in less than an hour you made a great decision. Must have been some of that military training that helped.

A command decision if you will, lol!

I Ran it around over and over and that was enough. Nothing is better than the beat to !!!! PP I have now anyway!

I've had two GPP's and one worked really good for a year. had it replaced and started falsing in less than a month. other one messed up in two months and replaced it twice and still goes crazy. traded one after it can back from getting replaced and got a TRX and love it. the GPP's are great when they work but lately they seem to false horribly ... maybe they changed their supplier or something

I've had two GPP's and one worked really good for a year. had it replaced and started falsing in less than a month. other one messed up in two months and replaced it twice and still goes crazy. traded one after it can back from getting replaced and got a TRX and love it. the GPP's are great when they work but lately they seem to false horribly ... maybe they changed their supplier or something

I have read a fair number of negative reviews but I know that the Garrett unit sells by the bushel so the failure rate might get a little more press due to sales volume.

My biggest reason, and it was actually very small comparitivly speaking, for choosing the TRX is the sensitivity adjustment and tip sensing only.

The TRX is here. Just been out in the yard and its great! I mean a PP isnt much to talk about really for me, I used a cheap one for a while and it did everything I needed really. The TRX is a massive step up for me though. Just tonight I was playing around in the yard. Now, understand I live on Andrews Air Force Base(yeah they have USN here) and the place is an EMI nightmare. So the AT Pro is chatering away and gets a small but definitive signal. I put the TRX to the ground and start moving it around and get a signal. So I dig a plug. Signal is in the plug. In a few seconds I found it.

If anyone here has ever worked on aircraft, this might sound familiar. We have these tiny little nuts that go on tiny little bolts, we call them Jap nuts. I don't know why but that's the term we use.

I think they are like 5/32 or something but there it was about 3" down, just in the root ball of the sod. I was impressed. Such a tiny target. Anyway, that's all I have for now. Have a trip planned next month, see how it pans out then.

I have owned the Garrett, Whites, Minelab, Fisher and Deteknix. I personally just changed my go to pointer to the Deteknix because of the PI factor and the fact that it does not false what so ever, but I know the Xpointer is not everyone's cup of tea because of the lack of info, etc. but at a price of $90 shipped for a brand new one I can care less of the info, it still comes with a 2 year warranty but even if it breaks and some reason isn't covered, its only $90 if I wanted to replace it. If the Xpointer isn't someones cup of tea I would personally go with Garrett Pro Pointer if your looking for reliable minimal falsing dependable pin pointer, Pro Find next in line for that. If your looking for a tough detector with maximum depth and a great warranty and customer service then the Whites TRX is our choice, but with the maximum depth if you have it set to sensitivity 4 (max) you will have some falsing issues on some soil, emi, etc. but it gets a good 30-40% more depth over the other choices (with a price to match), and Whites has one of the best Warranty and Customer Service, until Tesoro comes out with a Pin Pointer! hehe

All in All, just like your main detectors, each has its pluses and minuses and just like main detectors, everyone is going to have a different favorite.

HH All,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom