Morning find

TerryEastTexas

Forum Supporter
I found this and the square nail this morning at an old town site. It was abandoned in the early 1900's. It's 2 5/8" wide by 1 1/2" deep by 1/2" high. It has 4 nails/tacks. 2 at each side.

Attachments

• 4-6-06.JPG
    4-6-06.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 389
  • 4,6,06.JPG
    4,6,06.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 380
Looks like a corner protecter, Terry.
Ohh... want some more of them square nails? I have thousands (save 'em in case they ever come back in style. :lol:)...!

Thanks guys. Yep it was amazing that the penny came out in such good shape next to those old rusted pieces.  :lol:
Krom I think they should come back they have character. :lol:

Its a gusset, a corner piece to reinforce some type of box, bed , whatever, but thats what they're called. Its to give the box strength at the corner to keep it from buckling. I noticed you can even see where the pins which used to come up from the bottom were,
Wonder what it was the corner of? smg

Terry... I come across a lot of them nails almost daily, in my work... only they're not rusted (or bent) at all.
The biggest problem they had with them type nails back then was the taper (obviously constant) that they have. After the wood shrinks just a little, they would work their way out of the wood very easily (well, modern-day nails do the same, but a tapered nail will do so even faster and easier).
Funny fact... you can actually still buy them in hardware stores...!

I'm not sure, BBQ. I do know that they have some pretty great mason nails that look like regular nails now. Very hard to bend, too. 'Course, they have the "bullet-propelled" ones too. Love them babies.

Back
Top Bottom