Got a nice local token opened up a whirl wind on facebook

DonVitoD

I was out at a local spot and found this token. It read West Duley at Newburg Crescent City California on the back. Front said good for 25c in trade. Well apparently our little town of Fort Dick California was named Newburg for a short period of time. West Duley owned a hotel and saloon here he called the newburg hotel in the early 1900s. Well I posted the token to a local Facebook page and boy the whirl wind of info and a bunch of leads for possible hunting locations came pouring in. So if you have a local Facebook page I recommend you post your finds.

Attachments

• 14773792410401957436199.jpg
    14773792410401957436199.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 770
  • 14773793127971158392724.jpg
    14773793127971158392724.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 668
Very cool token! Lived in Blue Lake for a bit long ago, not that close but up there a bit, wished I was into detecting back then!

Congrats!

WARNING! WARNING! DANGER Will Robinson...

Just a quick comment here... NICE FIND, but...

Be really careful posting a find, especially one of historic value. Some states have a "ANYTHING over 50 years old is HISTORIC" law. Some historical society do-gooder with a stick up their butt may (will) come for your find. Additionally a lot of archaeologists look for just this sort of posted find, and they will make your life a living Hell.

Once again though, SWEET TOKEN!! And cool that you found some history behind it.

Thanks guys, as for the 50 year law they would have to be able to prove that such items have been in the ground for over 50 years. They just can't assume because of the date. If that were the case, all silver coins would subject to such. Hope an archeologist doesn't come on this site.

That's a great token. Looking through my token reference catalogues I haven't hit it yet but I've got a lot to look through. I'd contact TAMS ( token and medal society) if I had found that and see where that might rate. Congrats!
Very cool :coolman::coolman:

This is bazaar!

This so happens to be my great great grandpa! I've been trying to get my hands on one of these. My dad has been doing research and came across a guy that was selling one on EBay. By the time my dad got ahold of the listing, it was sold. He was devastated. Any chance of telling me if there's an opportunity of getting one? Maybe I can make him go up there and possibly come across one like you did.

Back
Top Bottom