My cornfield haul

castletonking

Well I finally got to detect the corn field near my house that has sat unplowed for several years until this spring when the generations of goldenrod were plowed under in favor of feed corn.I waited all summer to get detecting out there and I finally did. Here are my finds so far...of course more of the numerous spoons that I find in the Vermont soils near my house.A large dandy button made me very happy,I live less than a quarter mile from the Revolutionary war fort Warren and the sunday massacre at Castleton.I can identify a few of the items,including a possible ring,a colonial flat button,dandy button,sppons..the other pictured items are a mystery.some type of 3 sided tool with its tip broke off,i assumed to be a file,however the sides are smooth.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Unsure about the ID on the finds, but congrats on all of your goodies, looks like you had a blast! :D

Could the piece below the pen be a letter opener? The pic is small and I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other :laughing:

Could the piece below the pen be a letter opener? The pic is small and I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other :laughing:

it appears to be a type of tri sided tool,i'm thinking a file,however the sides are smooth and it is rather ornate. sorry about the picture size,my cell cam is shot its the best I could do

Hmmm, perhaps a leatherman's tool?

I'll probly never know,however I am excited to find items in an area that no one has any recollection of anything ever having been there,including the historical society.The number of china shards,square nails,bottle pieces,buttons etc.leads me to belive there may have been a building there at one time.

I look forward to your report and pics as you go along with the hunt. It sounds very promising! Good luck with your search!

Found two of them my 80 year old father in law, new immediately what they were. It should be copper and looks like a tip from a lightning rod.

Back
Top Bottom