great article

It makes sense; with my explorer, I know that when I detect in iron infested areas, where the threshold is continually blanking out, the digital values of coins are changed and show more ferrous content than they would under normal conditions. It's almost like an eclipse, with the closer magnetic field blocking the larger one off in the distance--seems very plausible.

Very interesting.

Yesterday evening I took my mom out for a swing with the Tesoro Silver. She sat in her wheel chair with the coil held over the side on the grass. I pushed her along a curb. She detected 2 pennies in one hour. She said she was surprised she didn't find more. I told her I had cranked the discrimination up all the way because these preserves are loaded with trash. Then I put the machine in all metal mode and swept the coil over the ground which - had been quiet. Had to be a target ever inch or two. She was amazed. And that's why she only found 2 pennies in one hour - there was probably a lot more we moved the coil over, but with the discrimination engaged, they were masked.

I've learned a lot from reading Tom's articles and watching his DVD. This supports why an area is never really hunted out. As small pieces of iron break down over the years or move because of expansion and contraction of the soil, good targets reappear. Think of all the stories that appear here where someone went to a hunted out park to walk away with big silver they had missed on dozens of other attempts. Of course this doesn't explain everything but I think that's why I like detecting because the outcome is never certain....way too many variables.

A lot of it has to do with the design of the discrimination circuit used and the gain of the detector. There are detectors that will detect a dime under a nail (or two), even while discriminating ferrous items.

Dankowski writes great articles. I downloaded a pamphlet of his. Many good ideas and insights there. One small thing I notice is that he consistently uses the word "feudal" when he means "futile". I know, I'm being picky, but I'm a former proofreader. One good tip I've used is to lower your sensitivity to give more target separation in trashy areas.

its neat and fairly well written, but to me the guy seems quite full of himself and he is completely wrong from my experience, I know of at least 2 detectors that find coins under or on top of iron, also he points out at least twice that his learning of that machine is complete, I guess he is just hard headed and refuses to open his eyes and learn, I find coins on top of and next to nails and junk all the time, the only thing I learned from reading that is not to use a fisher, they are iron magnets and crumb snatchers, which I knew prior to reading that ......... coins do get masked thats no seceret, but to say there is no detector on the market capable of finding coins and iron together in the same hole is as bogus as a three dollar bill........:spin:

Interesting... however, I would say it applies more to the specific machine, than it does to MD'ing in general. High end machines are very tunable... and PI machines are a different ballgame again. RickO

Back
Top Bottom