XLT coil question

RelicHound

Forum Supporter
ive got a royal 800 coil for my XLT and the foam inside has shrunk some how. the coil works fine as long as i dont swing it into somthing or shake it to hard. i was thinking i could just drill a small hole in it and spray in some expanding foam to stop the inside of the coil from shifting and i could seal the hole with some silicone. would this work? does anyone have a pic of the inside of this coil so i know where i can drill without hitting any vital parts?

I'd give Whites a call. I had a BlueMax 600 that I bought used that had a loose coil inside it. I called Whites to see what they said and it was going to be $40 for them to repair it. I got the feeling that they actually cut it open to do the repairs.

The problem with the expanding foam is that it exerts allot of pressure as it expands. I'd be concerned about wires getting broken, the cover being warped, or the coil being pushed out of position. It's not worth it to take the chance, in my opinion.

Oh, BTW, I ended up returning the BlueMax 600 to the guy I bought it from. He was very nice about it and I ended up getting another good one elsewhere. It all worked out well.

Sorry, no picture from the 800. But from the 9.5 stock coil. And as you can see, there are a few things in you can hurt while drilling a hole. Better would be to cut gently a hole, just as careful as you can.

coil_inside.jpg

The coil shown in the picture was opend with some hard hammer hits from the side, so the glue could break. But I never will reassemble it.

Another way to fix this problem could be, cut a hole through the bottom of the coil, do the repair job and then use a coil cover for covering the hole and use silicone to stick together.

In the next picture the assembling of 8 inch coils in Inverness, GB, is shown. White's for sure, but I don't know if they're equal to the ones you have. As you can see in this picture, these coils are DD's.

old8inchcoil.jpg

If you'll do the best for the coil, give White's a call or e-mail them.

Hope this helps a little...

i guess ill just give it a try. the coil is pretty old i bought it when i got my first XLT and i really dont use it that often any more so i guess if i destroy it i wont be to upset. ive got a 5.3,9.5,4x6 and a 3.5 coil so ill be covered. guess its worth a shot.

i guess ill just give it a try. the coil is pretty old i bought it when i got my first XLT and i really dont use it that often any more so i guess if i destroy it i wont be to upset. ive got a 5.3,9.5,4x6 and a 3.5 coil so ill be covered. guess its worth a shot.

Hey RelicHound,

A tad off-topic here, but do you user your 3.5" coil much? I've got one too, but have only hooked it up once to make sure it worked.

I use the heck out of a 5.3" though!

Try drilling two holes across the top of the coil, one to inject the foam, and one to relieve the pressure, then simply plug both holes. The XLT with a Royal 800 coil is a killer combination.

HH
Duke

Hey RelicHound,

A tad off-topic here, but do you user your 3.5" coil much? I've got one too, but have only hooked it up once to make sure it worked.

I use the heck out of a 5.3" though!

yeah i use it alot on play grounds since i can get closer to the equipment than with my 5.3. i use my 5.3 alot for park hunting or large trashy areas and for bean fields i use the stock coil and in corn i use the 8" coil{or should say did}. the 8" royal coil was a mean little coil and in my opinion is alot more stable then the 5.3 when running a mildly hot program. hard to beat the stock coil when running flat out just somthing i dont like about swinging a large coil tho.

Back
Top Bottom