Looking for new detector suggs for inland AND salt water beaches

woodwarh

I am a Newbie looking at my first (multi-environment) detector purchase. I have been researching this, on the Internet for about six hours, now.

My requirements and preferences:

1. Detecting environment
a. A decomissioned army base
b. Saltwater beaches, from the sand dunes to wading in up to 1-2 ft of saltwater, I do not need something that works totally submersed.

2. Purchase price, I'd prefer close to $500 or less, if necessary will go higher up to $1000 absolute max.

3. I want a detector that has some sort of graphical display with a discrimination mode to try to guess at the size and/or type of metal and/or depth

4. Newbie friendly

Since I want some sort of discrimination, that rules out Pulse Induction (PI) models.

My best guess so far is the Garrett GTP 1350
It has Discrimination modes with Visual Target ID, a Salt Elimination mode and I can purchase it for about $600.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Harold

You need..

something that is chest mountable. One slip while in even ankle deep salt water and that Garrett would be history! If you spend much time wading it is bound to happen. The Fisher CZ's and Minelab Sovereign are your best bets. They both work well on land and can also handle the conductive properties of salt water without falsing. Single frequency machines despite having a salt mode will not operate smoothly in the water or even on the damp sand. Also if you are in So Cal, be advised the beaches there are some of the worst around for giving detectors a hard time. My advice check locally to see what works best.

Tom

If you want to stay close to $500 then I agree with Sphelt and go with the Tereso Tiger Shark.

I know Okie just ordered a Tiger Shark. I have been talking to Tony about one. I've been checking the Tesoro forum and they say that in fresh water the Tiger is super but it is worthless in the saltwater. I'd really like some feed back on the saltwater part before I buy. Tony? Rob

I know Okie just ordered a Tiger Shark. I have been talking to Tony about one. I've been checking the Tesoro forum and they say that in fresh water the Tiger is super but it is worthless in the saltwater. I'd really like some feed back on the saltwater part before I buy. Tony? Rob

Rob.. I believe Gil has used it in saltwater and from what I have heard its not the deepest in the salt but can be used there..

Tiger shark?

I only used it in fresh water. The input from someone else saying it was worthless in salt may be right. As you know, almost all my hunting is in fresh with my BH. I used the BH in salt a couple times, and quite frankly, it was ok but I don't like the waves action, to much falsing when the current forces the coil up hope that helps Okie is no where near an ocean,, but thse swimming holes he has in mind, the tiger will blow his socks off...Gil

Yes Gil, everyone seems to agree the Tiger will work great in fresh water. Actually that's where I would be hunting mostly, around lake Michigan. I've got to believe the saltwater part because as I said I got the info from the Tesoro forum.

So you are not happy with the BH in salt. I was considering the BH for a once a year trip to the salt. But now it seems it wouldn't be worth the extra $100.

Rob

they say that in fresh water the Tiger is super but it is worthless in the saltwater.

This is also what I heard. Not from a forum, but from someone who has tried it in salt water. We tried adjusting the setting for him in the control box, but even that did not work. It's just a different frequency?

Back
Top Bottom