Trying again......

Vermonster

Elite Member
Had these ready to post, thinking after a year or so someone new may have come along to help identify. Then I see Hannibal's post..... Great minds think alike..... ;)

All from 1880-19teens locations. Shouldn't have been many vehicles around, but possible. Typical old homesteads.

First photo:

Upper Left: Almost a sort of filament inside, like thread. Inside of that reminds me of the old cardboard wadding or something inside of a shotgun shell. The removed piece looks like it isn't supposed to do that, like it broke off.

Lower Left: Flat, sort of pliable as it broke when straightening. Also flat on back. Appears to be silver coated.

Right: Very thin, and back is slightly concave, like it may have had a backing at one time, but not sure. No clue. Head looks maybe Greek or Roman.....

Second Photo:

Left: Probably some type of anvil, but not sure. Incredibly heavy sucker. The horseshoe for reference isn't a standard one, it's bigger like a draft or plow horse. You can see the lip and the thinker part. The lip is probably 3 inches, and the middle another 3, so close to 6 inches total thickness. Way back in from any road too. Was close to old stove remnants though.

Upper Right: Found also near some stove pieces, but this didn't have surface rust like the rest of the pieces. Possibly some sort of electrical part, could have been electricity back there for a short period.

Lower right: Pin found in old location. Just wondering if anyone has seen the design before.

Sorry, long post, just trying to still ID old finds.

Attachments

• Whatzit 1.jpg
    Whatzit 1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 310
  • Whatzit 2.jpg
    Whatzit 2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 310
I have really looked at these buddy...... My only suggestion is the the pin (brooch?) looks to be mid 1800's with a glass (paste) stone missing.....

The part you think is an anvil is called a die [which in a sense is an anvil] from an ore crushing stamp mill.
Are there any mines in the area where you found it?
Here are some pics of stamp mills http://booksgeology.com/mining_hist...nt.php?attachmentid=365804&stc=1&d=1476927308

Yes, actually. Less than a half mile away, although I don't think it was active very long, it doesn't go in too far. But, a few others around the area, within a few miles.

First Photo, lower left: might be the lid from a tobacco pipe wind guard.

I see where you think that, and I found one of those a little ways from here at another location, but this is perfectly flat. Looks like it's always been that way, not like it was curved and then straightened. The wind cap I found was a nice dome shape. The hole designs do remind me of that though.

I have really looked at these buddy...... My only suggestion is the the pin (brooch?) looks to be mid 1800's with a glass (paste) stone missing.....

Mid to late 1800's is the right time, but don't think that hole in the middle was deep enough for a stone to be set in. Maybe though, have to dig it out and look at it again. Thanks.

I remember the first time you posted that "thing" in the upper left first photo, I wish I could help.
I think that "Greek or Roman" head could be an old candy or chocolate mold?

Back
Top Bottom