Need more help

funnybone07

I found this warranted superior handsaw medallion in a field where I have found other relics from the 1800s. I am very confident this is the correct century. The ones I have found online measure 1" or 13/16". This one measures 1/2". I have not been able to find one this small online. I am starting to think this may one of the first medallions. If anyone has any additional info they can share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 376
isn't that the back of a button? Or is there something to do with a handsaw on the front?

Warranted Superior was a handsaw manufacturer, along with many others eventually forged into one company that made all the saws still under the different maker names. The OP has that part right, but it's hard finding any more info to add about his specific medallion find.

A lot can be deciphered from the medallion if you clean it up and get a good look at the eagle and shield. I've found two, one aluminum and one brass. The brass was from a rare handsaw from 1865 called the three eagles. It had three eagle medallions on it but if memory serves me correctly, all three were slightly different designs and I had the top one. Give 'er a soap and stiff bristle brush clean or a peroxide bath and you should be able to discern more detail.

Attachments

• Warranted Superior Medallion 2.jpg
    Warranted Superior Medallion 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Attachments

• Saw 1.jpg
    Saw 1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 283
  • Saw 2.jpg
    Saw 2.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
I have found a couple of those also from the 1880's sites I hunted last year. Always cool finds......

Back
Top Bottom