First Seated Quarter

Lee1968

Elite Member
After a lot of searching, I finally found an old homestead location that is now a farmer's field. Last week, I found my first Shielded Nickel (1866), and I was able to get over there tonight and found this Seated Quarter. The date is 1841. I am pretty excited. :p

20190504_201212 - Edited.jpg

20190504_201342 - Edited.jpg

That’s one heck of a find Lee,I didn’t sleep much the night I found my first! Seated stuff is pretty hard to find here in southern Wi,I’d imagine it’s about the same where you are. VERY hard to find series of coins. BUST coins? Forget it,it’s just unbelievably rare.

Sweet save, a big attaboy on your first seated. I have yet to dig my first seated coin. That field needs some more going over I would say. Good luck Mark

"Old homestead, now a farmers field"

That is my problem. Even tho I've only been doing this hobby for about 2 months, the oldest coin I've found is a 1953 D wheatie.....It's because I don't know how to search for old property, houses, churches and things.
Not real good with the computer stuff....an old guy.

That is my problem. Even tho I've only been doing this hobby for about 2 months, the oldest coin I've found is a 1953 D wheatie.....It's because I don't know how to search for old property, houses, churches and things.

I put my hometown name in Google, and searched for "historic maps". The maps I focused on were from 1892 and 1906. It had little black squares that indicated houses, and since I know the area quite well, I was able to figure out where a house was and now there isn't anything. I was in the field for several hours digging little chunks of trash, until I finally started to find some old nails, and rusted tools. At that point I knew I was in the right area. I like parks and schools and such, but it is an exciting moment when you find an old place and there is no evidence of it on the surface. It does take a lot of effort though, and I have come up empty more than once.

Check out www.historicaerials.com, and GaiaGPS. Two easiest ways to find old sites while out and about. Beyond that, your pubic library is a treasure trove of historic maps.

Pete, you should be able to beat that wheat cent in a school yard on the east coast. Where did the locals play as kids? Swimming spots? Picnic groves? Keep at it, PA is loaded with some awesome history! Nice seated quarter Lee!

Pete, you should be able to beat that wheat cent in a school yard on the east coast...

Well sure, of course. And he doesn't even need to research where PA was loaded with history. He merely needs to get on the mailing list, or simply throw a rock in any direction. Right ? :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom