• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Detector for tall guy

DeerhunterSD

I've yet to even hold a metal detector but I'm about to pull the trigger on a fisher f44 after quite a bit of research in my price range. Saw a tall guys review of it last night and the only thing he mentioned that was somewhat negative was that with the shaft fully extended it was a bit short for someone over 6'. I'm 6'4. Am I overthinking this possible minor inconvenience? I kinda have my mind made up on this model. Just wondering if any other tall hunters out there have had any problems.

I've yet to even hold a metal detector but I'm about to pull the trigger on a fisher f44 after quite a bit of research in my price range. Saw a tall guys review of it last night and the only thing he mentioned that was somewhat negative was that with the shaft fully extended it was a bit short for someone over 6'. I'm 6'4. Am I overthinking this possible minor inconvenience? I kinda have my mind made up on this model. Just wondering if any other tall hunters out there have had any problems.

You'll definitely want the tall man lower rod. The 3 piece S-shaft fisher detectors pretty much max out around 6'-6'2" height depending on your arm length. You'll want to order a tall man shaft with it.

The pistol grip fishers/teknetics are good to 6'2-6'4 then need a tall man rod.

Thanks for the input! I messaged one of the sponsors so hopefully I'll hear back soon. You got any advice on a good digging tool? I'll be hunting coins ad well as any relics I can find. Or will any cheap spade shovel do?

I'm 5'10" and I use the Tall Man lowers on both of my rigs...Run all the way out...It gives me a much more comfortable hunt and much wider arc swing pattern...Even with my short little arms, I rock side to side, swing with my upper body, and can get a comfortable smooth 12' arc going on a field or beach...

I used to live up by Rockerville back in the late 80's...I know those Hills well..I was a trapper and general purpose construction guy...was the ditch boy when the waterline upgrade was put into Keystone...Man..talk about garnets...prospected and panned Gold all over the place when I was there...Built a lot of those shops at the foot of Mt Rushmore...Trapped a lot of beaver out of every flowage in the Hills there...

Great Place! All sorts of out of the way abandoned mines, caves and whatnot...Theres Fairburn agates down by HotSprings you may want to go after even...

I'm 5'10" and I use the Tall Man lowers on both of my rigs...Run all the way out...It gives me a much more comfortable hunt and much wider arc swing pattern...Even with my short little arms, I rock side to side, swing with my upper body, and can get a comfortable smooth 12' arc going on a field or beach...

I used to live up by Rockerville back in the late 80's...I know those Hills well..I was a trapper and general purpose construction guy...was the ditch boy when the waterline upgrade was put into Keystone...Man..talk about garnets...prospected and panned Gold all over the place when I was there...Built a lot of those shops at the foot of Mt Rushmore...Trapped a lot of beaver out of every flowage in the Hills there...

Great Place! All sorts of out of the way abandoned mines, caves and whatnot...Theres Fairburn agates down by HotSprings you may want to go after even...

Thanks for the advice! I'm out in the hills all the time. Deer and elk hunting but haven't tried trapping before. I'm doing research on places to metal detect in the hills as well as the prairie. More interested in relics than gold prospecting but who knows what'll happen. Nice to meet a former South Dakotan though!

Back
Top Bottom