Found in the water 4th generation ring

metalwrkr

Encountered an old friend in a seredipitous fashion last week. He mentioned that a close family friend had lost a wedding ring last year at Spanaway Lake. Seems the ring was bought by a Great Grandfather as a wedding ring many years ago and has been used as such by a Grandfather and Father since then. It was given to the Son by the Mother to be his wedding ring when the Father died. Last summer he lost it while swimming off their pier at the lake. They had searched numerous times with metal detectors from a boat. My friend asked if I knew of a detector that had a "Long Shaft". Well, since partner Jack L. and I both had AT Pro's, we both volunteered to hunt for it. Last Sat. we went into belly button deep water and searched. We both found some trash items but then the Pro locked onto a solid 55 and would not budge. The bottom was misc. sized cobbles and silty sand all locked up tight. I dug and dug between breaths. It was much harder than one would expect. As you took a breath and submerged your head and shoulders and tried to push between the rocks, you just bobbed to the surface. Finally I got a hand full of sand and rocks and...Pay Dirt. There was a bright shiny ring sparkling in the bright sun. We were all amazed (me perhaps most of all) and the Mom was crying. The Son was called at work with the good news. Mom Came up to me and said she wanted to give me a hug even though I was soaking wet. All unbeknown to Jack and me, the Son is to be married next week and now has the family heirloom to tie it tight! Best Wishes to them both!.......Russ K

Attachments

• ringfind2.jpg
    ringfind2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 668
  • ringfind1.jpg
    ringfind1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 653
  • ringfind3.jpg
    ringfind3.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 648
Great recovery, and without a scoop to boot...no mask either?
You guys get multi thumbs up for your good deed .:goodpost::goodjob::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::urock:
DL

We had a mask and snorkel but the water was instantly clouded with silt so it was useless. The cobbles were packed in like the back of a turtle with only small amounts of sand between so the big Stavr style scoop wasn't working. I had a hand scoop with a point which was helpful to pry the first few cobbles up. The ring was only an inch or two deep but kept slipping into the hole as I removed cobbles (some twice as large as your fist). We were treated to beer and lunch on the deck while we dried out. There was also a silver ring supposedly in the same area, maybe I'll go back at another time. That one I'd get to keep. Russ K.

Great work! But they didn't invite you to the wedding?! :shock: Jeez! I think the guy(s) that saved the wedding ring should have been invited, with instructions to NOT get them a wedding present! I mean, after all, you already gave one! :D

Bobbing and scooping or digging is no fun. Glad you were able to get it for them. One reason I love to lay on the bottom and detect. Sure I stir things up but I can stay in one spot and find what I am looking for.

Congrats on a stellar find and for helping them out.

Back
Top Bottom