Handling the Pro-pointer...my way....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Thanks to bigboar and NED, and Bart's deals at BigBoysHobbies, lots of new people now own or will own a shiny, (matte black, actually), brand new Propointer!

Also a bunch of others have recently picked up one of these and more are thinking about it.

I have used one since last June, and I can tell you it has become such a part of me and my hunting, I had to get a second one...just in case.
I am always trying to get better at gauging depth with my detectors, but I am a little better with the Propointer at this point in my MD career.

I am no super expert, but I have learned a few things and I wrote down the way I use it and sent a few PM's to a couple members that asked me about using it last year.

I am just going to copy the techniques here, and maybe it could be helpful to a couple of you guys.

I rarely have to kneel down, nowadays, unless I am digging real deep, my holes are usually very small in diameter, and recovery is usually fast and efficient which is great because this is a volume business.

HH

Some background.
I started out with a real bad detector, BH Pioneer EX, which could pinpoint to an area the size of Rhode Island on a good day.
That, plus the fact that I had a large mineralization and falsing problem and very little experience, made me dig holes that were huge and it took forever to find the target...if I could find it at all.
Then I got the HF pinpointer, a real game changer.
I could find the targets in the dirt quicker, and it helped when the target was in the wall.
Considering the detector I was using, it really helped speed up recovery and made all my hunts much less frustrating.
A few months later, I upgraded to a Vaquero, Lesche digger and a Propointer.
All three, and I am not kidding here, changed my world.
The digger is fantastic, the Vaq is light years from my original unit, and out of all three, the Propointer was the thing that really made this hobby more fun and relaxing and much less frustrating than I could imagine.
I will never go on a hunt without it, and most people that use it say the same.

This is how I use it.
I use the Vaq or the F2 to pinpoint the target, and both can get me real close.
I switch my detector to my left hand, reach for my pointer hanging in my tool pouch on my right side, and turn on the switch as I bend over and place my detector on the ground.
I put the tip of the PP on the ground and feel for the vibrations.
Since my unit finds targets at least 2 inches down, or if you press the tip into the ground maybe 3-4 inches deep, all I have to do is find the spot with the fastest vibrations and sound, turn the unit off and then on which detunes the unit and shortens its field and move the tip around to find a stronger signal and do it again.
This process will narrow the place you need to dig to about a 1/2 - 1 inch area.
I wil usually detune at least once, maybe twice to really zero in.
Maybe 3 times if it is being difficult.
I bend over and stick my digger in the ground and just dig a very small plug, (literally the width of my Lesche), or just pry up a few inches of dirt and out pops the target, usually.
The hole is real small and I can just push it back in and step on it and it closes up like I wasn't even there.
The whole process actually takes me about 10 to 20 seconds to recover targets this way.
I never hit my knee and I sometimes don't even have to put my detector down...
Locate with my detector...bend over...find and detune 2 times...pop the target...stomp the grass...move on.

That is the process for shallow targets.

For deeper targets, This is my technique.

Locate, bend over,pointer on the ground and feel for vibrations.
By the way it reacts I can usually gauge how deep the target is.
Loudest audio and fastest vibrations..surface or just under.
A little less vibrations and audio..an inch or two down.
Faint vibrations and audio...3-4 inches in depth.
No vibrations or audio...more than 4 inches down.
If I feel even slight vibrations and I suspect the target is more than 3 inches, I will kneel and dig a small plug, usually about 2-3 inches wide.
I can go pretty deep on a hole this size, especially by using the pointer to detune and zero in exactly where to dig.
If I don't feel any vibrations with the pointer, I dig a little bigger plug if I think I have to go deeper than 4-5 inches.

Of course on a big or deep hole that detuning technique works really well to show you the direction you need to dig fast and efficiently.
If you have a pretty wide hole and you get the same sound and vibration as you move it around the perimeter and across the bottom, the target is going to be a can or something else huge, so I have to decide at that point if I want to proceed.
(See info about range, below).

Other advantages to using this.

Sometimes I get a smaller signal with my detectors but the pinpointer shows metal in a much larger area. This is usually going to be junk.
You can actually "paint" a picture of the object, (long rods, large can lids etc), by moving the tip around an area.
I can press the tip in the ground and drag it over an area to find a deeper target, (just a slight beep and vibration), and if the pointer picks it up, I know something is there but a pretty deep.
If you use the sliding coin trick to supertune the unit, these faint signals will come in a little stronger so you can find them easier.
Detune and supertune info here...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=68414

RANGE IN THE FIELD

If I get a solid pretty good signal, dig down a few inches and still get a similar signal, then dig deeper and get a stronger signal but still no target, unless I am hunting for relics, I cover up the hole and move on because it's something really big and/or really deep.
The PP will pick up coin size objects at a range of about 2 inches or more, definitely more if supertuned.
Larger objects have a much longer range.
A doorknob is picked up at 4", the downspout on my outside wall at 8 1/2", and my truck at 10-12"...not supertuned.
Always use common sense...this thing will pick up a full can size target much deeper than a coin.
6-8" or even more in moist ground. The same with large pieces of iron or any aluminum.

I use it around fence lines and tot lot equipment to get closer than my regular coils.
Search the area on full power as close to the large metal as possible, then place the tip about 2-3 inches away and detune...you can now get closer to the big metal and find stuff others have missed due to masking.

Side scanning, (yes, it scans to the side,too),over hole dirt or in the hole will find anything remaining without having to grab the detector to check your dug dirt.
(I still suggest you do one final scan with your detector just before and after closing up the hole).

I have also started to hunt with a piece of coat hanger that I have wrapped around my thumb on one hand and cut off so it sits there like a ring.
When I come across a signal with my detector and cannot locate it at all with the PP, I can move my thumb slightly up till it chirps and then back down to switch it into supertune mode.
For me, this works much better than pulling out a coin and moving it up and back to do this.
Works like a charm.

I put a sticker over the speaker because I don't like the attention, but I don't need the audio at all because the vibrations will tell you all you need to know without taking off headphones, even if you are using some thick gloves.

One member wrote his experienced father exclaimed after using one of these for the first time ...
"I finally found the other half of my detector!"

I must say that I wholeheartedly have to agree!

HH

:) Well said Digger... I got one a few weeks ago !!! :wow: what a great tool to have in your pouch. Rely nice for shallow stuff. I cant say enough about how handy these thing are. Best 120 bucks i ever spent on this hobbie. :)

Thanks for the very good tips. I ordered one this weekend and am looking forward to using it. The pinpointer that came with my F2 helped locate a lot of items in the hole or plug. But from all I've read, it sounds like I will be migrating from a Hugo to a Porsche! I hope so, since the Garrett is half the price of my F2.

Thanks for the very good tips. I ordered one this weekend and am looking forward to using it. The pinpointer that came with my F2 helped locate a lot of items in the hole or plug. But from all I've read, it sounds like I will be migrating from a Hugo to a Porsche! I hope so, since the Garrett is half the price of my F2.

I havet an F-point pinpointer too.
Compared to this, the Propointer is exactly like your example.
I have read dozens of owner's posts that swing everything from low end to high end detectors, and most have said this was the best money ever spent on this hobby.(See post above).
You'll see.

Great post Digger,

I just ordered a pro-pointer from Bart today. It should be in my hands thursday. After reading several post it didn't take me long to figure out owning one would be worth it.

that's some great info Digger, thanks for the post! :D

i ordered a Propointer just yesterday! Yippie! of course due to popularity, it's on back order. so now it's the old 2-3 week waiting game. :(

Pete

Thanks everyone...just trying to put my experiences down on paper and maybe help the next guy out.

I do feel I have to add one more piece of advice.

The PP does make it fairly easy to recover targets, but I believe it is still of utmost importance that y'all learn to pinpoint as good as you possibly can with your detector.

What if you are out hunting and your pinpointer breaks down or you lose it?

I love the fact that all shallow targets can be found in a second, but deeper targets will not be picked up at all till you dig a hole and get this thing in there.
I prefer digging down to the target, not sideways into a wall, if possible.
That means you have to do a good job on pinpointing with your detector on these deeper targets....make that all targets.

My warning here is there is a possibility that this could make you a little lazy...just recently I have seen it in myself.

I mounted a DD coil on my Vaq, recently, and I can tell you it is not the same pinpointing with this vs. a concentric.

At first, I was way off, but after a few hours practice I got much better.
I did find myself getting a little frustrated a few times and as long as I had a solid signal I knew I could just bend down and find the target with the PP.
A few times I was several inches away from my guess on the target center...too far.
Now I force myself try pinpoint as close to the target area as possible before I pull out the PP...just finding a general one half to one foot area and then using the PP to really find it seems like cheating to me.

If you got the tools, learn to use all of them as proficiently as you possibly can!

Yesterday, I was in a park and I did dig a few pretty deep tab signals, hoping for gold.
The PP could not pick them up at all, from the surface.

I didn't want to dig a huge hole with a large pile of dug dirt since I was out in the open in a pretty nice area with nice grass, but I did dig about a 5-6 inch plug and opened up a pretty good hole.
Stuck my PP in the whole and still couldn't find any signal at all.
Dug a few more inches of soil...still nothing.

This suggests to me that I probably did not pinpoint the target very well, (I did use the Vaq to check the target several times), and I need more practice on deeper targets, or the target was still 4 or more inches deeper than the bottom of the hole, which I hope was the case.
(Yea, DD coil and it's mineralization handling capacity!)
I will never know since I wasn't going any deeper and make more of a mess than that on a iffy tab signal in this particular place, so I covered them back up and walked away.

Either way, the PP was no help to me in this situation, and it would not have been until I came closer to the target.

Your detector is your main tool, the PP is a valuable accessory.
Learn to use both as well as you can, then by combining these two together with some experience, you will have a system that is hard to beat!

HH

I havet an F-point pinpointer too.
Compared to this, the Propointer is exactly like your example.
I have read dozens of owner's posts that swing everything from low end to high end detectors, and most have said this was the best money ever spent on this hobby.(See post above).
You'll see.

I got mine yesterday, and you are soooo right. I love it already. Only had an hour of daylight, but wanted to give it a try. With this pinpointer, my plugs were much smaller. I found the usual junk much quicker, and also found a wheatie! Great tool - great post! Thanks.

Yet another GEM of a Thread Digger. For beginners I think that a search for all Digger27 posts should be "must read". Would save a lot of frustration for them in the long run. :?:

What the heck it would only be about 3600 posts. Small price to pay for the amount of really good information you have contributed to this forum. :yes:

Keep up the fine work, please. :grin:

Digger, have you experienced the PP just going off on rampant escapades? It seems to me that some of the richer soils tend to set it off. When this happens a lot of times you can pull it from the hole and lift it up and it still continues on. I've noticed it more lately with soils that are somewhat wet. Turn it on and start into the hole and shes goin off before I get it in the hole. Ive also noticed sometimes that if there is dirt on the end or caked in the scraper edge if you will, that also tends to make a difference. Any thoughts on this issue? Remedies?

Digger, have you experienced the PP just going off on rampant escapades? It seems to me that some of the richer soils tend to set it off. When this happens a lot of times you can pull it from the hole and lift it up and it still continues on. I've noticed it more lately with soils that are somewhat wet. Turn it on and start into the hole and shes goin off before I get it in the hole. Ive also noticed sometimes that if there is dirt on the end or caked in the scraper edge if you will, that also tends to make a difference. Any thoughts on this issue? Remedies?

Sounds like dirt in the tool box...literally. If dirt accumulates on the circuit board it can screw up the Propointer. This can happen over a long time of use from not covering the vent holes for the speaker. Dirt cakes in the vents and as they are cleaned the felt gets ruined, eventually dirt gets inside. Another problem is coil failure. You may have to send it in.

For a temporary fix, try detuning by turning it on after the tip is touching the earth.

Sounds like dirt in the tool box...literally. If dirt accumulates on the circuit board it can screw up the Propointer. This can happen over a long time of use from not covering the vent holes for the speaker. Dirt cakes in the vents and as they are cleaned the felt gets ruined, eventually dirt gets inside. Another problem is coil failure. You may have to send it in.

For a temporary fix, try detuning by turning it on after the tip is touching the earth.

What he said.
Once in a great while mine will just start going off but I just turn it off and on again and it goes back to normal.
Very rare, otherwise, I have 2 of these and even though I abuse the heck out of them they have always worked fine for me.

Since I wrote that original post, and the edit near the end about using that emt strap around my thumb, I can tell you this is the only way I will hunt, nowadays.
I always have a few with me in the glove box, I have given a few away to some guys at my MD club and they have come back at the next meeting and told me it works and works well.

I can find coin sized objects 4-6" deep because it will still give me the location of the objects with a few clicks...even more in moist soil a few times.

Supertuning the fastest and easiest may I have ever seen and all with one hand.

Read this, watch the video and try it and see.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=82678

Back
Top Bottom