Sleeping problems connected to this hobby

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
More than a few times this has happened to me. After hunting 2-3 hours and finally giving up and going home, later that night I can't go to sleep. I keep going over in my mind some of those iffy signals I did not dig or those deep signals that were solid but I just gave up because of a deep 2" root in the way.

Or on the drive home, I almost turn around to go back and dig those suspect signals I did not dig because I was tired.

In my mind I just know I missed a bucket list item.

My personal medicine

Attachments

• 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 334
Quite the opposite...….after detecting for a few hours I get home and have trouble staying awake. Getting old sucks. The thing I hate is when I've found a pile of silver coins and they're coming out of the ground one after another, only to wake up and realize it was only a dream !!:mad:

I'm the same. I'll wake up at night thinking about it.

What if I had only pushed it another hour?
Why the hell did I cherry pick and not dig those iffy signals?
What if my permission changes his/her mind before my next visit?

But even worse is the anticipation leading up to a detecting trip. Did I research enough? What gear will I forget? Is everything charged? etc......

I thought this was a relaxing hobby!!

I’m a insomniac so no difference either way, but while I’m not sleeping I do not wonder about those iffy signals that I passed on because there are none. I’m not a great detectorist, but I am a numbers guy and a ex-gambler, so taking a moment to gamble on a plug comes natural to me. I dig most iffy signals and move on, but I dig a lot of holes I’m a mid tone chaser so I already expect a pull tab, bottle top no problem. Hey I’ll do it that way until I can’t anymore. Lol

Like I used to tell my sales team, “More hands you shake, more money you make....it’s a numbers game.”

Good Luck keep swinging and most importantly keep digging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My worries about signals I skipped are like the five second rule. I will sometimes turn back and dig a signal I just skipped, but if it's more than about five seconds ago, I forget about it, and keep going.
After a good long hunt, I will sometimes replay the whole thing, digging quarters and rings in my sleep, but that's a good thing. I've had those same replay-my-day dream sessions after long days of work, good times fishing, hunting, mushroom hunting, nightcrawler hunting, detecting, and a few other activities.

Yes I suppose this happens to me too, this hobby IS an addiction (wife says so, makes it true) ! However if it is mostly the undug iffy's that bug you, make a rule to dig all iffys in areas you can.

Happens to me too...! Sometimes it takes a guys brain a little bit to process incoming data from a Hunt...then, a guy starts thinking about that one Quarter ping he walked away from...it was deep, under the tight roots of a old Maple tree in a park he has accidentally pulled silvers from before...while out clad stabbing...right at the edge of the set up parameters... Q sounding! Could be a Stander!..

The thought haunts him for several nights....as he analyses the signal over and over in his dream state mind....So...knowing he has to deal with some roots, knowing exactly where it is, He specifically goes back a week later with a saw and goes straight in for that ONE signal!

and....And...AND.....Pulls the most amazing flattened crown cap you have ever seen!! :laughing: :laughing:

Called the "What if's".
We all get them, some learn to ignore them while others let them get under their skin and bother them forever.

I chose the first one awhile ago....now I just go for fun and if there is any possibility of missing something I just tell myself I will get it another time.

Called the "What if's".
We all get them, some learn to ignore them while others let them get under their skin and bother them forever.

I chose the first one awhile ago....now I just go for fun and if there is any possibility of missing something I just tell myself I will get it another time.

good logic!!

Called the "What if's".

Yeah, I am starting to adopt that attitude. I do this for fun and exercise and not stress. Most of my better finds were when I was out just killing time and having fun being away from home and the computer. I know how to make a living out of metal detecting because I know a few guys who do just that. But I am not ready to move to Florida and hit the beaches in front of expensive resorts 8 hours or more a day.

Germaine to the Conversation...At some of the places I regularly detect, like big sports fields, I leave a few signals behind undug On Purpose!! They become my beacons like little channel bouys to give me an orientation to where I've been already...Like a little friend...they remind me and help me focus...

Some of them have been there for years.. I've had coil over them a hundred times! In light of their absence, they also alert me that somebody else came along and skimmed them up!

I call them my "Tell Pennies" Although some are nickels and D's...I NEVER leave a Q behind!...My Tell Pennies are very steadfast and comforting to hear..Like I got my Bearings on this great big Planet!....Like visiting Grandma in the Nursing home....

They are dependable! Like Money in the Bank! If I ever really need a few dollars someday, I'll just go snatch them up! Just like visiting Grandma!..She always has a few dollars to give me for peppermint sticks and pennywhistles! All I gotta do is go get it!:laughing:

Although, now I'm thinking...one of those 'rotten zinc tones or nickels' might just be a GOLD ring!

had second thoughts and acted on them.

once when hunting a creek in a famous civil war battle area (that can be hunted) I noticed an odd almost perfectly round red rock about 2" in diameter. I just kicked it aside and move on down the creek. Driving back home I wondered about that rock. Later that night I woke up with the answer. It was a brick that got into a bedrock glory hole and became round. It came from the historic mill up stream.

So the next day I high tailed it to the creek 40 minutes away. It had rained hard that night and I figured I was too late. I walked up and down creek side where I know I kicked it 3 times but could not find it. So I gave up and was walking downstream to the place to get out of the creek since the banks were steep and about 12 feet tall on a hunch just decided to check about 50 yards below my climb in/out place. And in the middle of the stream found that red rock and it was indeed a rounded old brick. It is one of my favorite non-metal finds, in my opinion a nice unique piece of history.

Did you post a picture of that, if it wasn't you someone else found another perfectly round brick

yes i did post a picture a while back. I consider that item rather rare, at lease for me. Is it valuable? to me, probably no one else. I have pulled out old bricks from the Chattahoochee river that have really rounded corners but they were still a rectangle.

Where I hunt North metro Atlanta we don't pull a lot of silver like the guys up north. But the main attraction of this hobby is learning it and trying to get better and never knowing what you will dig up next. Plus gets me out of the house and some exercise.

Back
Top Bottom