fairly rare coin

emesis

I found what i believe is a1793 liberty cap large cent. A pic is useless because it would really would be almost impossible to see. What i need is cleaning info, dont really know what to use to bring out details. Leary about peroxide and olive oil. Thoughts please!

May sound crazy but just the other day I had the same issue, had a large coin in rough shape, my Dad recommended using milk for contrast. Worked well enough for me to get enough details for someone to help with an ID. I'll attach a photo to show the difference.
e6b68338eadb411123a14b35db383009.jpg
d6bfc53ed124d06e0fbc6b259007fded.jpg
7724e94ec4ac2d0810c9b039f5d8c282.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Thanx for the info.Ill try the milk method. Seems like no one likes to comment on my posts. Oh well, no pics , no replies I suppose. The coin is a piece of history which should be conserved. I only want some ideas on how best to do it

I gotcha, we'll milk didn't seem to damage that medal at all. Rinsed it off and it looked exactly the same as before. Just figured it was worth a shot before putting anything acidic on yours. May not clean it much but might help with ID if nothing else.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I found what i believe is a1793 liberty cap large cent. A pic is useless because it would really would be almost impossible to see. What i need is cleaning info, dont really know what to use to bring out details. Leary about peroxide and olive oil. Thoughts please!

Check the "Cleaning finds" sub-forum. Lots of info there on what to do and NOT to do.

In short, typically there is no Easy or magic way to clean old copper coins. The best method is CAREFUL and slow cleaning with a tooth pick.

Check the "Cleaning finds" sub-forum. Lots of info there on what to do and NOT to do.

In short, typically there is no Easy or magic way to clean old copper coins. The best method is CAREFUL and slow cleaning with a tooth pick.

Good idea, I'm not an expert in cleaning coins, but here is a direct link to the section mentioned by waltr -

Cleaning Your Finds

https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Hope that section helps for your very old coin, but be careful !

Is there an edge left on it? if so it should say " one hundred for a dollar" around the edge. Show pics, even if the coin is hard to see, we like pics!!

Man I cant wait to find one of those...IF I find one of those... Congrats! Hopefully you can have it restored and it may be worth something.

You can also try get a "rubbing" of the coin - use a piece of paper and a pencil and gently try to get the details to show up, it's worked for me in the past.

I would abstain from using water or even olive oil, just put the coin in a sleeve and leave it be, if you can make out the slightest detail that's good enough for me.

I found a 1797 Liberty Cap Half Dime and can barely make out Liberty's profile, there is no date that I can see, but I would prefer to leave it as is, rather than attempt to clean it up.

Back
Top Bottom