Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 10-20-2018, 10:12 PM

Default Question about jewelry and coins

I'm new to this and have a question about finding jewelry or coins. If you decide to sell the jewelry where do you sell it? Pawn shops, Ebay and Coinstar.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:23 PM
Supporter

Wherever you get the most money.

Squad Leader: Team Cupcake

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:16 PM

For coins, I bought a tumbler. Clean them up and put it in savings. My bank has a free coin counter and deposits straight to the account. The savings paid for the tumbler and less coins get rejected.
I keep all copper pennies.
Of course, I keep all the silver. ( all 3 of 'em)

Gold and silver I keep in case of financial hardship. When my son gets old enough, it's his.

If I were to sell, I would post to craigslist or offerup at spot price or more to scrappers or people looking for jewelry.

Last edited by Walrus350; 10-20-2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Word

Old 10-20-2018, 11:21 PM
Supporter

Well, it varies. A lot. Clad coins often just get washed and spent. Many will take their cleaned clad to the Coinstar, and either accept the Coinstar's percentage cut, or accept an Amazon card for the full amount. I take my cleaned clad to my bank, and dump it into their machine, and get paid the full amount. Jewelry, now, depends on a few things. If it's precious metal, but worn or damaged, many will save it up until they get a good enough amount, and send it in to a mail order refinery like Midwest or ARA. (They send perfectly good pieces in too) I can't tell you about that because I haven't done that yet. I find I can get good money for just about anything made of gold, on Ebay. Scrap gold goes for around the current melt value. You can look that up online. Nice pieces go for melt or better. Certain brand names, or jewelry with quality precious stones can bring way more money than the melt rate. Ebay is also a way to sell relics in sellable condition. Got silver or even gold coins? Establish yourself as a forum member in good standing, and sell them on this site. Lots of buyers here. Pawn shops and coin shops are an easy, quick cash sale, but pay you low, and sell high. Having said all this, I subscribe to Gauntlet's one-line answer.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:08 AM

Thank you all for the replies.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:19 PM
Elite Member

Pawn shops if you want 40 percent of what the gold or silver in the jewelry is worth. There are refineries that will pay much more for precious metal. Nice jewelry should not be scrapped. E-Bay, Craigslist or Facebook marketplace are places that you can get better value for your jewelry. Some individuals might like the piece and you can sell direct.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:59 AM
Elite Member

Clad coins get tumbled (if they're dirty), and most get deposited into the bank, others I spend. My bank has a free coin sorter so I just use that.

Old coins go into 2x2 holders and I put them into a file.

For now I'm holding onto jewellery. If I were to sell, I'd probably do so in private or over eBay, but never to a pawn store because they rip you off.

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25 Oldest Coin: 1866 English Penny
2018 totals: $1709.80AUD (634x$2, 337x$1, 101x50c, 273x20c, 337x10c, 463x5c, 328x2c, 498x1c) and 193 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"

Old 10-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Supporter

Used to sell to ARA out of Texas but now I've got a local friend who buys all my silver/gold at a good price.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Elite Member

If it is an occasional gold ring here and there find someone local who pays a fair price, if it is a good amount deal with one of the big places.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:31 PM

Wasn't ARA the outfit that changed hands recently and the new owner was cussin out detectorists and other people that sent in small orders? didn't he say he didn't want our business?

Old 10-22-2018, 03:57 PM
Elite Member

That is what was reported and verified by another individual.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Supporter

OP, if you ever make a post asking where to unload say.....50 pounds of gold, be sure to end it with "asking for a friend"

Squad Leader: Team Cupcake