magic number 500

Bounder

I actually made it to 502 coins found for the year. I went to the campgrounds and a lake then on to a womans house who had asked me to look for some jars of money her husband buried on the farm somewhere. He was dying of a brain tumor and did a lot of pretty strange things. He hid tools all over the place and also did the same with all the manuals for every appliance and piece of equipment. She found a lunchbox in the haymow with $8000.00 in it, enough to paint the barn. He told her at the end that he had buried either 6 or 8 jars of money but couldn't remember where . We went out and I actually found 3 of them in the backyard. Sadly, the story was the same with all 3. They had been buried standing upright and all 3 were crushed with nothing left in them. The lids were of zinc with whiteglass in them. I don't think they were deep enough and 15 years of freezing and thawing and ground heaving did them in. In my other finds the green thing is a bottle opener and tab lifter. The little thing is a bearing probably from a fishing reel, the button says WALLS on it and the pointed piece of lead is a mystery.

Attachments

• 1019181400.jpg
    1019181400.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 161
What an interesting and tragic post! I thank you for the story! Lots of this kind of thing goes on...Good on ya to help too!...

I'm confused...

Did you actually find three of the jars or just three old mason jar lids? If those were indeed jars of coins at one time the remnants of the actual jars and the coins would surely still be there.

jars

All I found was 3 mashed up jars with no traces of anything in them. If there ever was any cash in them it has long ago rotted away. It is impossible to know what he was thinking. His widow said he took all the sockets out of the wrench sets and hid them all over the place. It looks like he might have used a post hole digger and dropped the jars in as they were all vertical. The holes were loaded with broken glass but nothing else. Very disappointing. She also said he found his ex-wife's engagement/wedding ring and threw it somewhere. Problem is, this is a farm and the ground is loaded with trash. Just while we were walking around the place, we saw a hammer sticking out of the ground. Talk about a needle in a dozen haystacks.

Back
Top Bottom