Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 11:32 AM

Default Need some advice on units

So im pretty new to this..i was at my dads house and he has a detector that he sent my kids outside with.. they needed help digging something up and needless to say i was hooked after lol

But im looking for GOOD budget units..like 300 or less to start out with..thanks!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Old 10-16-2018, 12:03 PM
Elite Member

Some good starting machines are the ACE 250, Tesoro Compadre (but better hurry, they may be going out of business), and Fisher 5.
A friend of mine found his first Seated silver dime with a Bounty Hunter, meaning that finding good stuff has as much to do with location and determination as it does with the type and quality of machine you get.

XP Deus**http://thedirtisgoodtome.com/

Old 10-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by pulltabMiner View post
Some good starting machines are the ACE 250, Tesoro Compadre (but better hurry, they may be going out of business), and Fisher 5.
A friend of mine found his first Seated silver dime with a Bounty Hunter, meaning that finding good stuff has as much to do with location and determination as it does with the type and quality of machine you get.
What's a Fisher 5?

Old 10-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Elite Member

Find a used Garrett AT Pro or Minelab 705, all the machine you will need for a LONG time, beginner or expert.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:49 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ollievon View post
Find a used Garrett AT Pro or Minelab 705, all the machine you will need for a LONG time, beginner or expert.
We have a winner,,100% accurate

Old 10-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ollievon View post
True Story
The prices on used detectors have really dropped. Great time for someone new to the hobby to buy one or for a backup.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:11 PM
Elite Member

My vote is for a used Whites M6. Whites is stellar in customer service! I own two M6 units. Very fast response and IDs coins like God. I bought my second one for $300. Great metal detector!

Old 10-16-2018, 07:38 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Martin_V3i View post
My vote is for a used Whites M6. Whites is stellar in customer service! I own two M6 units. Very fast response and IDs coins like God. I bought my second one for $300. Great metal detector!

I'll second that !

Old 10-16-2018, 08:10 PM
Supporter

You can probably pick up a used Fisher F70 for less than $300.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:33 PM

I believe a respected member here has a nib Minelab X=Terra 305 that he won in a club contest. If you're interested, I'll PM him for you(assuming he misses this thread). I'm sure he'd give you a good price since its Found Money to him and he typically runs an Excal.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:09 PM
Supporter

Used Minelab Explorer. The wonderful sound of flutes!

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:56 AM
Elite Member

I like my White's MX5.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by KinTN View post
I believe a respected member here has a nib Minelab X=Terra 305 that he won in a club contest. If you're interested, I'll PM him for you(assuming he misses this thread). I'm sure he'd give you a good price since its Found Money to him and he typically runs an Excal.

Sure! That'd be great

Old 10-17-2018, 10:32 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Used Minelab Explorer. The wonderful sound of flutes!
I love my Explorer, but have to comment that as a "beginner type machine", I don't recommend it. It's slow, visual ID on the screen requires more intuition than other machines, and the tones run most new owners away. I would have likely never gotten, and kept an Explorer, had I not been blessed with a patient mentor friend, who was a true master of the Explorer. JM2C

Old 10-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by NCtoad View post
You can probably pick up a used Fisher F70 for less than $300.
Aint that something? I might just do this myself!...that rigs a money maker!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Supporter

I love my Explorer, but have to comment that as a "beginner type machine", I don't recommend it. It's slow, visual ID on the screen requires more intuition than other machines, and the tones run most new owners away. I would have likely never gotten, and kept an Explorer, had I not been blessed with a patient mentor friend, who was a true master of the Explorer. JM2C
I started with a White’s DFX. Didn’t care for the classic “grunts” and lack of depth. When I changed to an Explorer, first thing I did was make a quick coin garden. Loved the tones. Picked it right up in about 15 minutes. Went out later and proceeded to dig 20+ silvers and oldies in the first five ours on my hard hit spot.
I will agree though, it’s not for everyone, but everyone I know that started with one has really appreciated it.

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
I started with a White’s DFX. Didn’t care for the classic “grunts” and lack of depth. When I changed to an Explorer, first thing I did was make a quick coin garden. Loved the tones. Picked it right up in about 15 minutes. Went out later and proceeded to dig 20+ silvers and oldies in the first five ours on my hard hit spot.
I will agree though, it’s not for everyone, but everyone I know that started with one has really appreciated it.
I never swung a DFX before but listened to one a couple of times. The M6 seems to be a cleaner machine in tones, plus Whites will repair the M6, quick and simple. I don't think the Explorer repairs are near as easy, if even possible. Likely so, since there is a stateside Minelab center now.

I have also added lots to my silver finds with my Explorer, it is a super machine on deep silver coins. Wonderful fluty silver tones, once you learn them.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Elite Member

I totally agree, the ML Explorer is not as user friendly as the AT or ML 705. But hey, anyone can learn to use the Explorer if they are willing to have patience with the learning curve.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:08 PM

So i just found a used bounty hunter 202 at a local pawn shop for 50 bucks.. anyone have any insight on this unit?

Old 10-20-2018, 05:34 PM

Run Forrest Run.

Tell us your price point and we'll tell you what to get. And at no pricepoint will we tell you a BH. Keep in mind that you will need a pinpointer- either Garrett or Minelab.