Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 10-10-2018, 11:23 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Yup. Sure. A grand conspiracy. No amount of proof will EVER disprove that a treasure "most certainly" existed. No matter HOW many dry holes someone digs, that doesn't mean "there's no treasure". It merely means:

A) must be a little deeper

B) A little more to the right.

C) A little more to the left.

D) A governement conspiracy coverup . Surreptitiously secreted away during the night. After all, their "squinty eyes" and some "noise a neighbor heard" most CERTAINLY point to grand conspiracy, right ?

See what's going on ? They are STARTING with the premise that a "treasure was (or is) there". NO AMOUNT OF EVIDENCE will EVER disprove it. The "faithful" will always find some far-fetched remote contingent theory about how it was (or is still) there. And if you try to show that doesn't work logistically, they will find some crazy way or method how it *could still* be true. Eg.: taken away with black helicopters, 100 Navy seals who are sworn to secrecy, yet dressed like normal civilians so you don't know that they are up-to-no-good, etc...

C'mon people ! This is just another ghost story legend. Like Oak Island, Yamashita, etc... A camp-fire story gone awry. But we all fall for it so easily, since no one wants to be "left out". No one wants to be laughed at "all the way to the bank".

Hence people put critical thinking aside, when it comes to treasure. And hold on to any remote shred of possibility. No matter how insanely improbable. No matter how much the evidence stacks up against the notions. No matter how many "more pluasible explanations" exist for those "squinty eyes" and "noises in the night". But no: The human mind, in an effort to believe the treasure, will see ANY MOUSE FART as ultimate proof of a treasure.
yep, where did it go, left, right, up, down?

that is why many gold miners lost the pay streak. there was a fault in the rock and it could have shifted up,down, left, right 100 feet and the miners just did not know what to do so they went looking for gold elsewhere.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:49 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by maxxkatt View post
yep, where did it go, left, right, up, down?

that is why many gold miners lost the pay streak. there was a fault in the rock and it could have shifted up,down, left, right 100 feet and the miners just did not know what to do so they went looking for gold elsewhere.
Maxxkatt, I'm trying to understand your post. But if I'm reading you correctly, you are pointing to gold veins (as found in nature) that can go a variety of directions. And a miner who fails to search all directions, or who gives up and leaves, is going to be left without his gold strike, right ?

If so, I'll go one further than your post : "If Mel Fisher had had a quitter attitude, he would never have found the Atocha". Right ?

Therefore, we can conclude that any kill-joy skeptic, like Tom_in_CA, will never enjoy success, because he/they are not holding out hope, continuing the search, keeping their options open, keeping an open mind, etc... Right ? Is that your desired outcome with the gold vein direction analogy ?

If so, then here's the weakness of this analogy: In the gold vein analogy: It presumes that there is gold there, that will be rewarded to the person who doesn't give up, and keeps chipping away multiple directions. For this analogy to be true, for Dents Run, it will have to assume that "there is a treasure, as long as we/they keep digging left, right or deeper. It's never that there's 'no treasure' ". Right ?

Same for Mel Fisher : In his case, there WAS a treasure. For that to be analogous to Dent's Run, we have to assume, there IS a treasure. Why is that a given ?

And I do not construe "skepticism" as "closing doors" and "limiting finds" . It is actually QUITE THE OPPOSITE : Because someone who skeptically closes the doors of silly legends that have no basis, will end up spending his time , on leads, that have MORE POTENTIAL (Ie.: those with bases in fact). Thus: Far from "limiting finds", skepticism INCREASES finds. So that your time is spent at more likely locations.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Supporter

Ring total as of 9/25/2018 = 103

Old 10-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Elite Member

Talking Hunters

That find a hoard, should invest in a melting machine, i would have been in the garage melting to the last OZ, never contacted anyone, than lived the millionaire life style : tropical:

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 10-13-2018, 08:30 AM
Elite Member

Yup. Sure. A grand conspiracy. No amount of proof will EVER disprove that a treasure "most certainly" existed. No matter HOW many dry holes someone digs, that doesn't mean "there's no treasure". It merely means:

A) must be a little deeper

B) A little more to the right.

C) A little more to the left.

D) A governement conspiracy coverup . Surreptitiously secreted away during the night. After all, their "squinty eyes" and some "noise a neighbor heard" most CERTAINLY point to grand conspiracy, right ?

See what's going on ? They are STARTING with the premise that a "treasure was (or is) there". NO AMOUNT OF EVIDENCE will EVER disprove it. The "faithful" will always find some far-fetched remote contingent theory about how it was (or is still) there. And if you try to show that doesn't work logistically, they will find some crazy way or method how it *could still* be true. Eg.: taken away with black helicopters, 100 Navy seals who are sworn to secrecy, yet dressed like normal civilians so you don't know that they are up-to-no-good, etc...

C'mon people ! This is just another ghost story legend. Like Oak Island, Yamashita, etc... A camp-fire story gone awry. But we all fall for it so easily, since no one wants to be "left out". No one wants to be laughed at "all the way to the bank".

Hence people put critical thinking aside, when it comes to treasure. And hold on to any remote shred of possibility. No matter how insanely improbable. No matter how much the evidence stacks up against the notions. No matter how many "more pluasible explanations" exist for those "squinty eyes" and "noises in the night". But no: The human mind, in an effort to believe the treasure, will see ANY MOUSE FART as ultimate proof of a treasure.
Hang on now...are you implying that there ISN'T a treasure on Oak Island? What about the rocks in the shape of a cross (what are the odds that there would be, somewhere in an area that large, four rocks, lined up like that?) Didn't you listen to the narrator? He explained it perfectly...same with the "ancient timbers"...wood doesn't migrate like the African swallow does.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:48 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
Hang on now...are you implying that there ISN'T a treasure on Oak Island? What about the rocks in the shape of a cross (what are the odds that there would be, somewhere in an area that large, four rocks, lined up like that?) Didn't you listen to the narrator? He explained it perfectly...same with the "ancient timbers"...wood doesn't migrate like the African swallow does.
I hope you're joking. You're sounding like some of the "faithful" now

You ought to come over to my house & hunt for gold. There are certain "clues" all over the place. Perfect circles (the paver blocks in my back-yard). Uncanny crosses (the telephone phone at my property edge). Suspicious geometric lines (the design at our gold fish fountain). Rectangles (the fence planks).

And .... to top it all off ...... I heard some noises coming from my neighbors house 2 nights ago, suspicious lights going on and off @ their windows, etc.... And I've seen suspicious vehicles (no doubt up-to-no-good), drive past my house at 4am occasionally. Cleverly disguised as the newspaper delivery driver. But .... that's clearly a cover-story conspiracy.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:59 PM
Elite Member

I hope you're joking. You're sounding like some of the "faithful" now

You ought to come over to my house & hunt for gold. There are certain "clues" all over the place. Perfect circles (the paver blocks in my back-yard). Uncanny crosses (the telephone phone at my property edge). Suspicious geometric lines (the design at our gold fish fountain). Rectangles (the fence planks).

And .... to top it all off ...... I heard some noises coming from my neighbors house 2 nights ago, suspicious lights going on and off @ their windows, etc.... And I've seen suspicious vehicles (no doubt up-to-no-good), drive past my house at 4am occasionally. Cleverly disguised as the newspaper delivery driver. But .... that's clearly a cover-story conspiracy.
Of course I'm joking If I'm ever being serious, then there's something terribly wrong in the world.

I'm sure that if I looked in your yard for gold, you'll have already moved it to an undisclosed location to protect it from the aliens who REALLY run the FBI

EVERYONE knows that the "newspaper delivery driver" is a CIA plant...monitoring your every move.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:16 AM
Elite Member

Yup. Sure. A grand conspiracy. No amount of proof will EVER disprove that a treasure "most certainly" existed. No matter HOW many dry holes someone digs, that doesn't mean "there's no treasure". .
Com'on man....... don't kill those dreams....

Next you're going to tell me that the lottery is rigged by "big brother" and I'll never win the Plublishers Clearing house give aways no matter how many magazines I buy...………

Is big foot real?? that snow man thing? UFO's...???

Did we even land on the moon or is that a bust also????

The TR-3B is real - I seen one!!!!!

Old 10-14-2018, 12:03 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by IDXMonster View post
Just quite similar as watching the Bigfoot shows or such...if a Bigfoot was really found(or a UFO or lost gold or...) do you really think the very show that you’re watching that’s pre-taped quite awhile ago is going to be the first place you hear about it? The public is deluded by their own delusional delusions. That big screen in your living room is the biggest waste of life ever invented,though it’s good for informational purposes and occasional ball games. This clown that thinks he and his son are entitled to a portion of the non-existent fantasy treasure? It’s way more likely that they were working on a crime scene of some kind,perhaps a serial killer case?....who knows. But the aforementioned point of the “treasure” being perpetually out of reach for one reason or another is spot on. Complete,un-adulterated horsecrap.
delusional delusions. Funny, I love it! DD

Old 10-14-2018, 12:23 PM

Wait a minute... you still get newspapers delivered?

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Old 10-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by L0S3R View post
Wait a minute... you still get newspapers delivered?

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring
Only those of us on the "ugly side of 50 yrs. old", remember newspaper delivery people. Doh!

Old 10-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Only those of us on the "ugly side of 50 yrs. old", remember newspaper delivery people. Doh!
Hey! I had a paper route when I was in High School.

After I graduated, I delivered telegrams for Western Union all over Miami ... on a bicycle for a couple of years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Rudy View post
Hey! I had a paper route when I was in High School.

After I graduated, I delivered telegrams for Western Union all over Miami ... on a bicycle for a couple of years.
Well then, you're probably old enough to remember shoe-shine boys, and before kids had video games, and rotary dial telephones, etc.... haha

Old 10-14-2018, 04:42 PM
"Can Do" Moderator

Originally Posted by Rudy View post

I thought it was a pony for the Pony Express!

Old 10-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Supporter

Well then, you're probably old enough to remember shoe-shine boys, and before kids had video games, and rotary dial telephones, etc.... haha
Don’t forget party lines, and the milkman!

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Old 10-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Heck yeah Tom. And I remember the old rotary pay phones. They gave you a dial tone before you put money in them. They had a big flaw which I occasionally exploited. If you tapped out the number you were calling on the handset cradle, you could make the call for free.

And the best part, all the coinage (except pennies and nickels) was silver.

Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View post
I thought it was a pony for the Pony Express!
Smart aleck.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:35 PM
Supporter

Talking

I remember rotary phones.....

…..and before TVs had remotes and you had to walk across the room to change the channel

…...and when TVs were only black and white

…...and milk delivery to your milkbox on the front porch

…..and when gas stations pumped your gas, checked your oil and air pressure and even washed your windshields

(of course I was still a very very young kid back then )

…….and we still get newspaper delivery !

John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Old 10-15-2018, 02:58 AM

I still call Hungry Man dinners "TV dinners" because we used to have trays to set them on so you could watch TV and eat your dinner at the same time...

Old 10-15-2018, 06:06 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View post
I still call Hungry Man dinners "TV dinners" because we used to have trays to set them on so you could watch TV and eat your dinner at the same time...
How true! Yes, TV trays, all homes had ‘em including ours - and we had one of the first new color 27” TV’s, biggest you could buy at the time, with new-fangled wired remote control!

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Old 10-15-2018, 08:24 AM
Supporter

A voice of fresh air.

But ... as we all know, you are a "shill" . Sent by the government. To plant doubts in reader's minds. As a clever attempt to cover up that you guys secreted away the treasure in the night. 'Fess up !!
You and Chris are the voice of reason here