Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 10-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Big Treble View post

Am I the only guy who found this funny or the only one to understand it. Those at Minelab are stoneface nodding in agreement LOL
If it happened at the release of the CTX you may have made the same assumption.... companies usually die slow...like a tree rotting from the inside... I believe there is more to the equation than the introduction of one new detector..

Old 10-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by joe dert View post
If it happened at the release of the CTX you may have made the same assumption.... companies usually die slow...like a tree rotting from the inside... I believe there is more to the equation than the introduction of one new detector..
Yup very aware of that, we were referring to their marketing scheme and the hype.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:40 PM

Equinox didnít change the downward arc of Tesoro. No software capability, no design capability, no social media presence, dwindling dealer network.

I thought that they would drop a couple of years ago, but.

The Metal Detector business is tough. Dozens of companies have appeared, prospered, then vanished.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Elite Member

Yup very aware of that, we were referring to their marketing scheme and the hype.
Ok

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:29 PM
Elite Member

Am I the only guy who found this funny or the only one to understand it. Those at Minelab are stoneface nodding in agreement LOL
No there was one other guy too.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dubious View post
Tesoro should also have been able to modernize the line a bit without spending too much on R&D. Bring out a few new models with slightly faster electronics and with multi-tones, and maybe wireless, and it would look like Tesoro was keeping up.
good point,but it seems to be a common belief,that money wasn't all that available going forward,and that is a shame ,if it's true!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Midknight View post
It doesn't quite seem like Tesoro is throwing in the towel just yet. It honestly sounds like they are trying to stay afloat by laying off people in the hopes that they can emerge as a small version of themselves. But then again, it could be the beginning of the end.
yes! it may be wishful thinking,but i am thinking this as well! maybe,with a "lighter ship" they can find a way forward!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:17 AM
Supporter

Question

I'm not saying I doubt the layoffs, but you would think there might be at least a small news article about in their local town, I did a search for Prescott AZ news sources, (newspapers, tv news sites) and could not yet find any mention of it, maybe someone else might find an article.

John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 AM

yeah! i think it's funny too,especially when you can take a man who knows his tesoro intimately,hunts right behind another detectorist using a "nox" and finds
stuff that was missed. it can be done,and probably already has been done!..never underestimate a man who only hunts with one detector for he knows his equipment,and what it is telling him.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:33 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by jmaryt View post
yeah! i think it's funny too,especially when you can take a man who knows his tesoro intimately,hunts right behind another detectorist using a "nox" and finds
stuff that was missed. it can be done,and probably already has been done!..never underestimate a man who only hunts with one detector for he knows his equipment,and what it is telling him.

(h.h.!)f
j.t.
I concur

Old 10-09-2018, 01:43 AM

I talked to Rusty last year shortly after the Mojave was released when I bought a 5.75 coil from him and had Tesoro tune it to a Silver Sabre Umax.

He told me that Tesoro had a surge of sales and excitement from the Mojave and the new 7" concentric coil being a surprise hit, and it had caused him to postpone his retirement.

Some users raved about it upon release on the forums fueling demand and Rusty mentioned that Vince Gifford was way too conservative with the initial manufacturing run because he didn't want to get stuck with unsold stock. He probably remembered getting hurt with excess inventory due to the anemic sales of the Outlaw which I believe was the only other new detector released during his time as sole head of the company, although that's just my guess not something Rusty said.

The writing has been on the wall for a long time at Tesoro. Shallow pockets, 20th century platforms and minimal r&d is not a recipe for long term success. But even if inevitable based on the way the company was going, I'm still sad like so many others to see this happen. Rusty was a legend in the industry and a fine man to talk to and deal with. Every other person I ever dealt with at Tesoro was uniformly pleasant and helpful as well. Their customer service was unsurpassed when a detector had issues. It always amazed me that up until a few years ago the unwritten Tesoro policy was if we made it, we'll fix it gratis. Regardless of how old or whether you were the original owner. Still have a few of their old style handwritten repair tags around somewhere. Always tested by Rusty after the repair.

I have no doubt that Tesoro's rabid fans will keep Tesoros in use for many years to come. Reassuring to see there is still an outlet available for repairs.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
No there was one other guy too.
That'd be me!

White's TREASUREpro

Old 10-09-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by marcomo View post
I talked to Rusty last year shortly after the Mojave was released when I bought a 5.75 coil from him and had Tesoro tune it to a Silver Sabre Umax.

He told me that Tesoro had a surge of sales and excitement from the Mojave and the new 7" concentric coil being a surprise hit, and it had caused him to postpone his retirement.

Some users raved about it upon release on the forums fueling demand and Rusty mentioned that Vince Gifford was way too conservative with the initial manufacturing run because he didn't want to get stuck with unsold stock. He probably remembered getting hurt with excess inventory due to the anemic sales of the Outlaw which I believe was the only other new detector released during his time as sole head of the company, although that's just my guess not something Rusty said.

The writing has been on the wall for a long time at Tesoro. Shallow pockets, 20th century platforms and minimal r&d is not a recipe for long term success. But even if inevitable based on the way the company was going, I'm still sad like so many others to see this happen. Rusty was a legend in the industry and a fine man to talk to and deal with. Every other person I ever dealt with at Tesoro was uniformly pleasant and helpful as well. Their customer service was unsurpassed when a detector had issues. It always amazed me that up until a few years ago the unwritten Tesoro policy was if we made it, we'll fix it gratis. Regardless of how old or whether you were the original owner. Still have a few of their old style handwritten repair tags around somewhere. Always tested by Rusty after the repair.

I have no doubt that Tesoro's rabid fans will keep Tesoros in use for many years to come. Reassuring to see there is still an outlet available for repairs.
all my dealings with tesoro were pleasant and productive...they know they had a "unique" product along with a "unique" clientele.i have no doubt we will hear from
them in a short while,as they become better organized.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:45 PM
Elite Member

I still have a new in box compadre and coil cover. Maybe one day it will become collectible. What's funny is there was a market for the compadre. It's the best metal detector in the $150 price range. I don't see any of the bounty hunter models being able to fulfill that void.

Someone comes to the forum and says hey my top budget is $150-$200 the Tesoro compadre is one of the most recommended detector in that price range. It's how so many of us ended up with one or a backup.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

I hunted with a Tesoro Bandido for 25 years and could use it anywhere, including trashy house sites. So it breaks my heart to hear they may be going under. Metal detectors have such a small market to begin with as not every home keeps a detector. The new machines coming out had long waiting lines to get the new ones, but our friends at Tesoro didn't appear to be putting our anything to compete with them. I never had a reason to send my machine back to them. So let's keep our fingers crossed that they will pull out of this.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:19 PM
Supporter

Exclamation

Ken got an update right from Tesoro, he started this thread -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=266387

John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Old 10-11-2018, 05:05 PM

probably is well out of it. When you are up against the current machines all made in China the playing field is not even. What do you do, get the chinese to make a nice new one for you as well and add your bit on top ?

Old 10-11-2018, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
I guess they are the first casualty of the Equinox obsoletion.
what kind of flashing binoculars are you observing the sky with

Last edited by Fielder; 10-11-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:25 PM
Elite Member

Default Dang

Been a while since i been here, i bought a unscratched tejon a while back for 75 bucks with 2 coils, i used it quite a bit ..then i got the fbs itch...

I missed having my tejon immediately , and been thinking about buying one again.

And all the people hoping tesoro can pull out of this , i doubt it!

Now that the word is out about layoffs etc. They will sell even less as people wont wanna buy a machine from a company who probably wont be around long..

I have an atp, minelab and owned 2 other machines....
I MISS MY TEJON!