Tested the 800 at a Fresh Water Beach (Video added)

Compass

Forum Supporter

After doing some bench testing at home last week I took the Nox 800 up to a fresh water lake this weekend. I wanted to try hunting in "Gold Mode" since my testing at home seemed to indicate more depth and sensitivity to small gold in that mode. I was prepared to go into the water but wound up just hunting along the shore because the water level was low, the water was cold and there were plenty of targets in the "dry" sand.
I had the detector in "Gold 2" mode and pretty much left the machine in the factory settings although I think I lowered the Recovery Speed to "4" for a bit more depth. I have to say that I liked this set up for this particular location. Maybe because I have spent so much time using the Dual Field at the beach but I was very comfortable with the single tone chatter in this mode.
To me, it was like using a PI machine with iron discrimination and target ID. My confidence in identifying pennies, dimes and quarters really grew on this hunt but there were way too many "under 20 TID" targets for me to dig so I just started looking for target ID's of 20 or above and found a fair amount of clad.
As I was walking over a rocky patch between one sandy area and another, my detector beeped and a "29-30" popped up on the display. Now, I would normally pass on a target in the rocks because the work involved to extract a penny or piece of trash wouldn't be worth it. However, I really wanted to know if I understood what the detector was telling me and sure enough, dug out a tarnished clad quarter in those rocks. Sure, it was just a clad quarter but maybe one of the most satisfying clad quarters I have ever found.
Like I have mentioned before, this is the first detector I have had that used target ID numbers so it is taking some getting used to.
I have no doubt that the Nox will find gold chains down to a certain size but as Scuba said, you will have to dig a lot of trash to find them. That's probably true for most gold rings as well. I made a video of some of my hunt until I maxed out my memory disk. I will add it to this thread after I finish editing. GL&HH!

Last edited:
Nice review. Hope you can get it wet before I do! It sure will be different having a screen instead of just listening for beeps, that is for sure. With all the nails in the water in the Detroit River, I am sure hoping it will pick out some silver and gold hiding close to them.

I am also hoping it will get deeper in the muck than my Tiger Sharks and my CZ-20 and 21's. I am really excited to see what this new toy will do.

After doing some bench testing at home last week I took the Nox 800 up to a fresh water lake this weekend. .. I made a video of some of my hunt ...
Looking forward to it!

I am also hoping it will get deeper in the muck than my Tiger Sharks and my CZ-20 and 21's. I am really excited to see what this new toy will do.
I think the NOX will give them a strong run for their money. BTW, did you have your Tiger Shark tuned? From what I read, it uses the same analog platform as the Fisher and DetectorPro units. There are tutorials online and its pretty easy to tweak. In some cases, folks are getting an extra 1-3" of depth and increased sensitivity on small mass objects. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

Nice review. Hope you can get it wet before I do! It sure will be different having a screen instead of just listening for beeps, that is for sure. With all the nails in the water in the Detroit River, I am sure hoping it will pick out some silver and gold hiding close to them.

Do you think you'll be able to read the screen in murky water?

Do you think you'll be able to read the screen in murky water?

No, but I go by sound anyway. Just like the park today. I was able to get the silver dime when the numbers were jumping from 14 - 27. The sound told me it was a good target.

Numbers on the Equinox 800 on a deep target are WORTHLESS imho.

George,
Nice to see you are taking time to learn the new machine. Just keep going and learning and the good stuff will follow.

-Jerry

Hey George. Great report on the Equinox !! Glad you are getting out to test your new machine.

Thanks Scuba, I've waded in up to the control bow and it responds pretty well in the fresh water in Park 2 Mode. I need to try the Gold 2 mode in fresh water next. Also need those waterproof headphones to go out farther. :yes:

good to hear compass thanks for the update:D
Thanks brncofan- my pleasure!

George,
Nice to see you are taking time to learn the new machine. Just keep going and learning and the good stuff will follow.

-Jerry
Thanks Jerry, I know it will and I can't wait! :D

The video won't load, shows error , Earl PS how can you be a movie star if we can't see the video :lol:
Howaboutnow? :grin:

Hey George. Great report on the Equinox !! Glad you are getting out to test your new machine.
Thanks Jeff, PM sent. :yes:

Looking forward to it!

I think the NOX will give them a strong run for their money. BTW, did you have your Tiger Shark tuned? From what I read, it uses the same analog platform as the Fisher and DetectorPro units. There are tutorials online and its pretty easy to tweak. In some cases, folks are getting an extra 1-3" of depth and increased sensitivity on small mass objects. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.
Had trouble posting the video but I think it's working now???

Yes

It loaded, very nice video, shows the ID is pretty accurate in guessing the coin in the scoop, on nickels you will dig some trash in the nickel range , nice job ??????? George , have you tried nugget hunting yet, i have seen video's of Gold in Ca, and Nevada , Earl

Back
Top Bottom